Lakes Online Forum
2,976 messages
Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Welcome, Guest Select View Mode: [ classic | beta | recent ]
Name:   MrHodja The author of this post is registered as a member - Email Member
Subject:   Military Pensions
Date:   2/22/2011 11:56:19 PM (updated 2/22/2011 11:59:23 PM)

They are giving big cash bonuses now for critical needs - in addition to the retirement "carrot".  One of my daughter's high school classmates ended up enlisting in the Navy to be a nuclear propulsion technician.  He was in school for at least an additional two years after his basic Navy training.  He got about $20K for just agreeing to go into the field, and has been offered multiple thousands to stay on.  Apparently it isn't enough though, because he is going to get out of the Navy with some very marketable skills and a good civilian job waiting.  That means someone else will have to be put through two years of additional training....given multiple bonuses...you get my drift.

The key element of the retirement incentive is the need to have military folks stay on for the long term.  Not sure a bunch of cash up front or in the form of higher pay would do that.  The military invests a bunch of money in training its members to do their jobs, and it is actually cheaper to keep one person to retirement and then pay them that retirement stipend than it is to enlist and train a series of short-term members - plus the fact that the additional years of on-the-job experience for the "lifer" pay many dividends that can't be measured in dollars and cents. 

I have no problem whatsoever with a review of the retirement benefit as long as it is done with eyes wide open and consideration for what its termination might have on readiness and long-term fiscal outlays.  But I still believe that, with all cards on the table and a level playing field, the cost of that benefit and its positive effect on our national security will prove to be far more attractive to keep than some of the blatant giveaways to people whose income tax refund far exceeds any pittance they might have contributed in the way of tax withholding.

Another consideration.  I will be 66 in April, still work, and see no reason to stop working any time soon (due in large part to the marvels of modern chemistry...Lipitor...Altace...Meloxicam...among others).  I would have no problem whatsoever with the Government raising the age for full Social Security benefits kicking in to 68 or even 70.  Doing something like that would be just one way that we could address the deficit, and would be a long-term reduction in outlays.

And don't get me started on the "stimulus" funds sent to places like the National Endowment for the Arts....and most of the other similar "stuff" in that "stimulus" bill.

Again, no problem asking the question as to whether the retirement benefit should be revisited- just please don't try to compare military retirement with civilian retirement.  The differences in what it takes to get to the end point for each are so stark that you just can't compare the two.
Other messages in this thread:View Entire Thread
Military Pensions - 4691 - 2/19/2011 2:52:52 PM
     Military Pensions - Talullahhound - 2/19/2011 7:02:10 PM
     Military Pensions - widgethater - 2/20/2011 12:50:50 PM
          Military Pensions - Talullahhound - 2/20/2011 1:39:47 PM
               Military Pensions - MAJ USA RET - 2/20/2011 2:15:34 PM

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us