Lakes Online Forum
2,976 messages
Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Welcome, Guest Select View Mode: [ classic | beta | recent ]
Name:   MrHodja The author of this post is registered as a member - Email Member
Subject:   I won't mention the dismal jobs report
Date:   4/8/2012 4:45:14 PM

I'll have to give a strong second to Hound's comment about Government and contractors.  I work for a defense contractor and can tell you that I am often surprised at the number of folks who dress and act as if they were Government but in fact are contractors.  Seems to be especially bad in large meetings.  An awful lot just say "I am with XYZ military organization", rather that to say "I am ZYX contract support to XYZ military organization".  

As to pay, yes and no.  On Cost Plus contracts the Government pays whatever the cost is -- and some can get away with large salaries.  However, at least in my case, the Government project engineer has considerable influence over the charges through the proposal process.  While not a hard and fast rule the government manager can choose not to use a certain contractor if the contractor doesn't play ball and keep the high rollers off the task.  On fixed price contracts the government chooses the best value proposal, and if the contractor wants to use folks making exorbitant salaries it comes out of the contractor's pot, not the government's.

And as to contractor labor cost versus government, sometimes it may apparently cost more to hire a contractor, but having contract support with, say, a unique set of skills or patent on some technology the government needs, it might be cheaper to hire the contractor than try to hire a government person with a skill set that is rarely used or do the research necessary to build a widget that a contractor has available off the shelf.

In previous years it was like pulling hens teeth to get new government positions approved.  But the current environment is quite different, with organizations hiring and doing in-house what contractors used to do for them because they didn't have the organic capability to do it themselves.
Other messages in this thread:View Entire Thread
I won't mention the dismal jobs report - water_watcher - 4/6/2012 9:57:42 AM
     I won't mention the dismal jobs report - copperline - 4/6/2012 1:51:33 PM
     I won't mention the dismal jobs report - copperline - 4/6/2012 7:13:27 PM
          I won't mention the dismal jobs report - Barneget - 4/7/2012 6:37:11 PM
               I won't mention the dismal jobs report - Talullahhound - 4/8/2012 4:07:36 PM
                    I won't mention the dismal jobs report - MrHodja - 4/8/2012 4:45:14 PM
                         I won't mention the dismal jobs report - Talullahhound - 4/8/2012 7:22:19 PM

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town