Lakes Online Forum
2,976 messages
Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Welcome, Guest Select View Mode: [ classic | beta | recent ]
Name:   MrHodja The author of this post is registered as a member - Email Member
Subject:   Increasing suicide rate among the military
Date:   1/23/2013 11:38:59 AM

I never went through anything like what our current forces have been asked to do, but there are a few possibilities. I used to deploy to pull alert duty for a week to 10 days at a whack, leaving at home my wife and two grade-schoolers. She had to deal with everything while I was gone bbecause she couldn't just pick up a phone and call. She had to make the day to day decisions....yet when I returned I tended to want to pick up where I left off. That created tension because I expected things to be just as they were, and she had trouble adapting to being expected to be the boss while I was gone, and my expecting to bne the boss when I returned.

Another possibility is that the deployed service member returns to find that his wife (or her huisband) succunbed to temptations of the flesh, and for some that led to divorce.

Even another possibility is that these service members experience the depression associated with returning from a highlevel of activity, stress, and danger to what they might consider a very boring existence.

Finally, there is PTSD. The horrors of war do terrible things to some people, and some just can't handle it. There was an outstanding youth soccer coach in Montgomery who was a Viet Nam vet. He suffered from PTSD to the point that at least 15 years after Viet Nam was over he could no longer handle the nightmares and flashbacks and committed suicide. As a member of what other services like to call the "Chair Force" I never was stationed in an assignment that required direct combat, but have talked with many that have.

I realize that this is just the observation of one person who is not a mental health professional nor do I have any specialized knowledge or insight.
Other messages in this thread:View Entire Thread
Increasing suicide rate among the military - copperline - 1/23/2013 10:47:53 AM
     My opinion for what its worth - MartiniMan - 1/23/2013 11:03:18 AM
     Increasing suicide rate among the military - MrHodja - 1/23/2013 11:38:59 AM

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town