(Lake Martin Specific)
169 messages
Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Welcome, Guest Select View Mode: [ classic | beta | recent ]
Name:   MartiniMan The author of this post is registered as a member - Email Member
Subject:   Interesting take on the minority-majority trend
Date:   1/15/2016 9:25:49 AM

We have all heard over and over that demographics are destiny, that soon whites will be a minority in the U.S. and that minorities vote overhwlmingly for Democrats.  Hence the desire of the Democrat party to normalize illegals and once that is accomplished the next push will be for them to be allowed to vote.  In essence, they are rubbing their hands gleefully at the prospect of millions of new Democrat votes.  All makes sense, right?

As it turns out this may be a bit overstated. Apparently a certain professor of sociology thinks this simplistic analysis may be wrong, at least over the short run.  He is a professor of sociology and wrote an interesting piece in the American Spectator (a liberal magazine).  What struck me from the article are two interesting facts: 1) if you have a drop of non-white blood you are classified as a minority (i.e., Elizabeth Warren is considered one); and 2) fully 3/4ths of minorities born in this country have one white parent and that trend is expected to continue.  To put this another way, if they used the converse of the one drop of blood approach (i.e., one drop of white blood and you are classified as white) the minority-majority probably doesn't happen until the end of this century, and that is only because blacks are less likely to marry whites than Hispanics or Asians do.

So at the end of the day it may matter more about their political views and those of their parents than their race classification.  To the extent a minoirty as is currently classified today that has one white parent embraces more conservative values he thinks it is possible, if not likely, that the Democrat hold on "minority" voters could actually wane over the next 25 years or longer.  I had not thought of this issue but it made me think of my many conservative friends with mixed marriages.  All their children are classified as minorities and they wouldn't vote for a Democrat in a million years.  As these children approach voting age they will add to the minoirty votes going to Republicans.  Time will tell if this comes to pass but I thought it was interesting enough to pass on.

Other messages in this thread:View Entire Thread
Interesting take on the minority-majority trend - MartiniMan - 1/15/2016 9:25:49 AM

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online