Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   fountain - Email Member
Subject:   SAD!!!
Date:   4/24/2006 4:30:41 PM

Went by Sinclairs Sunday around noon and saw Jeff"s new 42 fountain and Allen's 38 Sonic parked out front--Hard to believe they are going to be outlawed $$$$$$$$$ VERY SAD.......

Name:   CAT BOAT - Email Member
Subject:   We're not done yet
Date:   4/25/2006 7:28:27 AM

Name:   Bob - Email Member
Date:   4/25/2006 8:54:24 AM

Cat,

I am sure you are a nice guy and I do hate it that you chose an inland lake for your type of boating. Unfortunately you and your friends will have to go to a more appropriate place to enjoy your boating. I can assure you that you are done whether you think so or not. You are part of a very small but vocal minority which is not surprising considering how "vocal" your boats are. In this instance the vast silent majority is against you and your boating crowd. Fortunately for us the big money is with us on this one and that is all that matters. Now don't get mad at me because my opinion matters as little as your own. Your anger should be taken out on the money players who got this done. In this case i agree with them and you don't. In the future I am quite sure that could be the other way around...good luck to you...

Name:   fountain - Email Member
Date:   4/25/2006 10:05:26 AM

What type of boating is that???????? You are right they had the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ behind this law.

Date:   4/25/2006 10:32:59 AM

Bob, I am not mad at you for your opinion. We are all intitled to our own. My boat is not vocal, it's just as quite as yours. If I didn't have a boat effected I would still be against the bill. And, for what it is worth, my boat is still legal anyway. I realize my efforts are probably worthless, nevertheless, I will stand up for what I believe in. I just wish the powers to be would have spent that much money and time on what I feel is more important issues like healthcare, and especially imigration/deportation.
Steve

Name:   Lakeman - Email Member
Date:   4/25/2006 11:31:00 AM

Bob you probably had as little to with getting this Bill passed as anyone on this forum but let me remind you of something. You mentioned that for once " big money " helped pass something that you agreed with and you had no hand in it. Doesn't that bother you? It reminds me of a tale about someone who stood by and let things happen to people around them and didn't try to help them. Then when the same things were done to them there was no one to help them. Very sad. No matter which side you were on this was not done the right way. Not the way we expect the representatives we elect to act.

Name:   Council Roc Doc - Email Member
Date:   4/25/2006 1:10:17 PM

Someone once said "money is like water, it finds every crack". Especially true when it comes to politics. It would seem that no matter if you are talking about federal, state or local gov't, lobbyists and their money represent just about everyone but the average joe.

Name:   LittleKowaliga - Email Member
Subject:   No average Joes interested
Date:   4/25/2006 2:38:43 PM

in this little controversy we have been so wrapped up in lately. Anyone who owns real estate on Lake Martin, or who spent $300k for a boat like the guy who's picture was in the Advertiser in the post below...is not an "average joe" no matter what you think you are. Most "average joes" see this issue as rich guys squabbling over boats and real estate they could never afford. The other misconception that many have, as Bob's post points out, is that the supporters of the restrictions greatly outnumbered the opposition.

Name:   JohnGalt - Email Member
Date:   4/25/2006 8:13:44 PM

No dog in this hunt yet would like to know something. Why did the original legislation from congressmen Laird and Dial have to be changed from the original bill to include only three lakes? I see posts like the "silent majority" and "98%" support this bill. Look at the attached article. I have to say that the plan that they had was an absolutely brilliant political move. Get others to vote for the new bill in order for other districts to save their own hide. When I mean absolutely brilliant I do mean this in the political sense kind of like Bill Clinton was a brilliant politician yet have no respect for him as a person.

URL: http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4702527

Name:   JohnGalt - Email Member
Date:   4/25/2006 8:13:47 PM

No dog in this hunt yet would like to know something. Why did the original legislation from congressmen Laird and Dial have to be changed from the original bill to include only three lakes? I see posts like the "silent majority" and "98%" support this bill. Look at the attached article. I have to say that the plan that they had was an absolutely brilliant political move. Get others to vote for the new bill in order for other districts to save their own hide. When I mean absolutely brilliant I do mean this in the political sense kind of like Bill Clinton was a brilliant politician yet have no respect for him as a person.

URL: http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4702527

Name:   JMSD - Email Member
Subject:   Where do you get....
Date:   4/25/2006 11:35:55 PM

the "numbers" that say the support for the bill outnumbered the opposition? Maybe, I am crazy but I sure haven't seen statistics that show that the opposition was outnumbered in this case. The $$$ was larger on one side than on the other...so with that said whether you are happy that this bill has been passed into law or sad that you will no longer be able to enjoy the boat you currently have on the lake, ALL parties involved should be ashamed that the people that we elect to voice our opinions in any matter would behave the way that these elected officials have...I mean to even keep their own people out of what was going on is a pretty BOLD thing to do!

Subject:   John Galt
Date:   4/26/2006 7:28:45 AM

Good article, I missed that one. If you have a chance, contact me at my shop, I would like to share something with you.

Name:   Carnac - Email Member
Subject:   There are none so blind
Date:   4/26/2006 8:20:39 AM

as they who will not see.

Name:   Council Roc Doc - Email Member
Subject:   Where do you get....
Date:   4/26/2006 10:16:02 AM

Political precedent has been set. This shouldn't be a big issue during mid-terms as I suppose, from what I've read here and elsewhere, voter support for this measure was there, albeit quietly. Alabama was not going to watch it's neighbor, Georgia, impose legislation on it's waterways and witness uncontrolled explosion on it's water as a result. Especially when there were development dollars at stake. Just my humble opinion.

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online