Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   babygirl - Email Member
Subject:   Amazing!!!!
Date:   4/25/2006 10:12:10 PM

Sunday afternoon, Lakefun and Babygirl decided to take the boat out for a afternoon ride. We didn't know that the water pump took in so much trash from the lake that it used it up. We got almost to the point that you make a right to the big water. Suddenly, the tempature warning started to sound. Much to our amazement, engine hatch up and drifting, 5 boats came through and turned their heads. A couple was on their dock with two boats in the water. Did they offer to help??? NO!!!!! We drifted almost home and finally a boat offered to help.

Name:   WSMS - Email Member
Subject:   There was a time...
Date:   4/26/2006 2:18:08 AM

when every boat you saw would have rushed to help.

Those days disappeared when the big boats brought a new attitude to the lake.

Coincidence? Or reaping what you sow?

Think about it.

Name:   HOTROD - Email Member
Subject:   ITS YANKEES FROM ATLANTA
Date:   4/26/2006 5:32:24 AM

to many yankees are comming over from atlanta. they are bringing their lack of curtesy with them and it is infecting the whole region.

you shold see what it did to florida. it is as bad down there as it is new york. real florida that is not the pan handle., it is full of canadians right now. they arn't as rude as yankees they are mostly just cheap

Name:   Feb - Email Member
Subject:   Here We Go Again
Date:   4/26/2006 7:06:33 AM

Once again, we see an example of generalizations and broad sweeping judgemental statements of others simply because of where they have lived or were possibly born and raised. If we were to believe the comments you posted, one would think folks from Atlanta, Florida and New York had sprouted horns and had a long tale from their posterior. Have you ever been to New York? How many people do you know from Atlanta, Florida or New York? Of those you have met and know, how many are the terrible people you make them out?. Have you ever met anyone nice from these other places?

I read the same post you read. Nowhere did I see any indication by the person starting this thread they knew the other people or where they have lived or call home. It is just as likely they could of been from Alexander City as Atlanta. Probably much more likely they were from Alabama than Florida. I really doubt any were from New York; although it is possible. It is rather likely others expect most folks particuarly out on the Lake to have a Cell Phone. I think this could be a logical generalization for you to make. People generally no longe allow their young children to play or walk to school unaccompanied. I doubt many of us would pick-up a hitch hiker in this day in age. I believe this is just as true in one place as another in the USA.

I would imagine you are educated and possible have an advanced degree. Again, this is a generalization more common in this period of history than say forty years ago. Other could read your post with not only the ignorant sounding assumptions, but also the numerous mispellings and other gramatical mistakes an form an invalid judgement of you. They might also choose to read your post and say people from the South and even from Alabama are uneducated and stupid. We know this would be an unfair charaterization of the fine citizens of The Great State of Alabama.

There maybe others on the Forum that believe you are correct and disagree with my rebuttal to your post. If this is the case, I just hope good Americans from near and far do not consider all of us rasied in Alabama to be so ignorant sounding and judgemental.

I have read numerous other post you have made, and I had a higher opinion of your logic and intelligence than seems to come across in your above post. This is not meant to be a personal attack, but I disagree with your logic and position in this thread.

Name:   CAT BOAT - Email Member
Subject:   Blame your other half babygirl
Date:   4/26/2006 7:33:45 AM

I told him, "your pump is a couple of years old, you should change it", back in the summer of last year. You'll be ready Friday if all goes well, and you can ride for the weekend. Thanks for the call.
Steve

Name:   Smitty - Email Member
Date:   4/26/2006 8:35:57 AM

It appears Mr. HotRod is somewhat of a dumbass.

Name:   Bob - Email Member
Subject:   Hot Rod is a Dumb Hick!
Date:   4/26/2006 9:03:47 AM

Hot Rod,

Unlike Feb (a much better man than I), it is too difficult not to make assumptions about your character based on your posts. I am quite sure you have no advanced degree and further doubt you own a single foot of property on the lake. You are, however, entertaining. Please do not stop posting your thoughts here.

Name:   Osms - Email Member
Subject:   Blame your other half babygirl
Date:   4/26/2006 9:11:03 AM

I'll go with Cat...For some reason water pumps never fail at the dock and usually fail because the neoprene becomes brittle with age--not from trash--maybe an ice bag over the intake, but not trash.

Name:   fountain - Email Member
Subject:   There was a time...
Date:   4/26/2006 9:55:19 AM

What does big boats have to do with people not helping?????

Name:   Lakeman - Email Member
Date:   4/26/2006 10:27:28 AM

BabyGirl I almost always carry my cellphone with me when I'm out on the water because of unforseen problems that pop up. I have also dropped a couple in the lake. LOL. But if I had seen you I would have helped. Shame on those that didn't and may they reap what they sow. But they won't because someone like you or me or CatBoat will come along and stop and help. Sometimes I stop even though they don't wave or yell.

Name:   BoatsRFun - Email Member
Date:   4/26/2006 10:38:26 AM

I'm with you Lakeman, i have and will continue to help people that are broke down or whatever the problem, i dont care if there in a houseboat, bass boat, bigboat, jetski, bowrider, go fast, pontoon hope i didnt leave any out and they could be from the north, south, east or west, man you know we all have something in common here BOATS!!!!!!!!
Have a great lake day! peace.

Date:   4/26/2006 11:00:21 AM

There's not any worse feeling than being stranded and when you wave for help all you get is nothing or at most a wave back. A two handed stand-up up wave is a wave for help. A one handed casual sit-down wave is a " hi, I got-a-boat-you-got-a-boat " wave. If you boat long enough you will need help so help anyone you can. peace.

Date:   4/26/2006 11:04:06 AM

Agree.

Name:   longtimer - Email Member
Subject:   I don't know...
Date:   4/26/2006 1:00:09 PM

I don't know, but I do know this: up until about 15-20 years ago, everyone always stopped to help. Looking out for each other was just one of those things that we did on Lake Martin. I NEVER had to row home, drift home or swim home; even if I saw just ONE boat, that boart stoped to help.

Likewise, I never passed anyone who appeared to need help without stopping, and I would up towing plenty of boats myself.

But, that changed in the last two decades; if you don't believe me, then you are calling babygirl a liar, since her post illustrates what I am saying. SOMETHING in the attitude of Lake Martin boaters changed. Coincidentally, this attitude shift occurred at the same time that big boats became a more common sight on the lake. Maybe that's a coincidence.

Then again, maybe it isn't; one complaint that people have about those in big boats is that they seem to have a "You don't matter to me" attitude; wouldn't that same attitude be held by someone who refuses to help a fellow boater who is in distress?

Of course and as usual, this is not a blanket indictment of ALL big boat owners; I'm sure many are so helpful that they would have fit right in on the Lake Martin of the "good old days." But WSMS asks if it is a coincidence that the "Age of Apathy" coincides with the "Age of Cruisers;" i think it's not a coincidence, and at the very least, it's something that everyone should think about.

P.S.-- Sorry for your bad boat day, R; I wasn't anywhere near that area, or I would have stopped to help. But, I'm one of those "grumpy old men" who does stuff like that; won't you be glad when we're all gone?

Subject:   One thing for sure....
Date:   4/26/2006 3:02:42 PM

You'll also get the oil changed in the engine, the oil changed in the outdrive, the anti-freeze changed in the closed cooling system, and any thing else I can find to do at the shop, so that I want have to do it on the lake, or at the beach. LOL

Subject:   Thanks Cat!!!!
Date:   4/26/2006 3:36:06 PM

We know she is in good hands. Just remember, we get a discount because I modeled on your website.

Date:   4/26/2006 3:39:33 PM

Do I or do I not want to see those pictures. I would never hurt someone's else eyesight by modeling on Cat's web site. I protected everyone by modeling my dawg.

Date:   4/26/2006 4:17:52 PM

Funny thing, there is not one picture on the website of babygirl. But, if you will send one, i'll give the discount. The more revealing the pic, the more the discount.

Subject:   OH WELL!!!!
Date:   4/26/2006 4:23:05 PM

Date:   4/26/2006 4:25:06 PM

Oops!!! Wrong key. You can't blame a girl for trying.

Date:   4/26/2006 4:46:36 PM

Dang it and hang it. My dawg got no discount. All the women do flock to him, but unfortunately don't give me a second look for good reason.

Not good, when a bird dawg is more handsome that the shooter.

His Sister did win the Westminister last year if that means anything.

Subject:   I have a picture
Date:   4/26/2006 8:13:50 PM

for you!!!!!! A front and rear view of Lakefun modeling the thong you gave us. What kind of discount will that get us??????????

Subject:   Question for WSMS???
Date:   4/26/2006 8:39:49 PM

What makes you think we were in a big boat???????? For your information, we could have been in one of our pontoon boats, our bass boat or our SCARAB (which is considered by some people on this FORUM as a big boat but smaller than some of the boats Grandfathered in).

Subject:   longtimer
Date:   4/26/2006 8:51:27 PM

No, I am not ready for you to be gone!! As I said before, you are not that old!! By the time you are gone (do not take that the wrong way!) Then, I will be the Grumpy one!!!!!

Name:   JMSD - Email Member
Subject:   CAT BOAT
Date:   4/26/2006 11:49:16 PM

Whatever you do PLEASE don't subject us to lakefun in a thong! That would definitely be a sight to see but I am not sure how good that would be for business. No offense lakefun, but I for one do not care to see that :)

Subject:   Question for babygirl???
Date:   4/27/2006 12:29:31 AM

What about my post makes you think that I believe that no one stopped to help because you were in a big boat? What I said was, since the beginning of the "big-boat era," the general attitude of MOST boaters has been less helpful. MOST boaters means just that: most people in boats, regardless of size, are generally less helpful, no matter the size of the boat in trouble.

The only possible connection you could make between YOUR big boat and what happened is the line, "reaping what you sow." But all that means is that you, as acknowledged big boat owners, might have suffered from this new attitude; it says nothing about the size of the boat you were in.

Subject:   Trying... lying...
Date:   4/27/2006 12:30:39 AM

Same thing to some, I guess...

Subject:   Dang, LT...
Date:   4/27/2006 12:39:10 AM

She's pretending she knows how old you are! Next thing you know, she'll be pretending she knows your name, address and hair color!!

Name:   Tate AU - Email Member
Date:   4/27/2006 3:16:00 AM

I would have to agree. I never knew yankees came out of Atlanta?

Subject:   That would hurt
Date:   4/27/2006 7:35:34 AM

Lakefun (a man) in a thong with cathouse logo on it would make for no discount. But, send me the pic, and I will make him a special protected page just for laughs.

Subject:   Dang, LT...
Date:   4/27/2006 8:23:44 AM

But I do know how old he is. Unless he was not truthful in previous post.

Date:   4/27/2006 8:25:32 AM

You are just no fun at all. Although, the laughs should be worth something. LOL

Date:   4/27/2006 8:26:34 AM

Maybe put his picture on a " HAZARD BOUY " Cat or an endangered species milk carton.

Date:   4/27/2006 9:31:09 AM

A "dangerous species" milk carton maybe.

Name:   longtimer - Email Member
Subject:   Truthful?
Date:   4/27/2006 12:01:43 PM

As in, saying "The model in those thong pics is ME!" when it's actually someone else; that kind of "truthful?"

Actually, regarding old posts, there is something you need to realize about this forum. There was a time when there was no registration; anyone could post using any alias they wanted, at any time. So I went back and checked, and found two things:

1. Some old posts were made by longtimer, and others by Longtimer; I'm all but positive I never made any posts as Longtimer (note the capital "L.")

2. I didn't make every post that was made by longtimer, either. In fact, the vast majority of my posts in the pre-registration days were under another alias, one that I would have preferred to register for myself, but somebody beat me to it.

In fact, I found some posts by longtimer that were not made by me... but in threads containing those longtimer posts were responses by me using my other, more commonly-used alias.

Using old posts as a way of learning about whoever is using that alias today isn't always going to be accurate. However, it's an excelllent source of entertainment; I've just spent some time reading threads that I had forgotten about!

By the way, you probably don't believe me when I say that this used to be a no-registration-required board, and that anyone could post using any alias they wanted, even if it was "somebody else's." Ask feb, he remembers; if I recall, he led the charge to turn this into a registration-required board.

Subject:   Good Point!!!
Date:   4/27/2006 12:21:21 PM

I stand corrected. Maybe, I do not know how old you are. Based on a previous post in this thread, you referred to yourself as a "grumpy old man" and I told you then that I wasn't ready for you to be gone. That was my only point. As far as the pic, I said that to be entertaining.

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online