Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Hampton Photo Gallery

Name:   Capt M Brooks - Email Member
Subject:   Watch Your Wake/Share the Lake Campaign Signs
Date:   4/1/2013 5:56:08 PM

The Watch Your Wake/Share the Lake Campaign signs are beginning to go up at public boat launches and marinas at Lake Martin and other public bodies of water in our area. Pretty soon the awareness program will kick off with a state-wide news release and media stories. 

We currently have a limited supply of the signs that we will be more than happy to furnish to Lake Martin condo associations with the stipulation that the signs be placed at condo boat ramps and docks/boating common areas. If you are interested in obtaining a few of these signs for your facilities, please give us a call at (256) 329-2268 and ask for Captain Brooks, or leave a message on our voice mail with your call-back information.

Hopefully with the next order we will be able to provide some signs to off-water boat dealerships in the area.

Captain Matt Brooks
Alabama Marine Police

Name:   JTenn - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2013 6:26:01 PM

I hope the signs will also be available to all, so they may be placed on private docks to make all aware not just those using public access points.

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2013 8:14:43 PM

In general, what is the purpose for the signs? What do you wish to accomplish?
I would really like to know.

Name:   wix - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2013 8:24:50 PM

From what I've heard, DCNR did not have the guts or clout to challenge the Bass lobby to enforce a "proximity law", so they are trying a program similar to a "Do Not Litter" campaign without enforcement. Hope it works better than the Litter idea does with the beer can chunkers.

Name:   muddauber - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2013 12:31:29 PM

from a post last year:

"Check out Lake Martin Alabama Edition of Lake Magazine July 2012 addition in which Charles Bordon, president of Lake Martin Resource Association states that "LMRA will continue its effort to have a '100 foot proximity' ruling issued in Alabama that will provide protection for property owners and will satisfy the interest of all stake holders....."

I cannot find anything that says such a ruling was issued.

Seeing as how we own no section of the lake, I doubt such a ruling could come about.  Whatever the case, it is not dcnr's fault nor responsibility unless such a ruling is handed down by FERC who does control what happens on this lake.

Name:   Capt M Brooks - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2013 6:14:36 PM

This campaign came about from a joint collaboration between several homeowners/boat owners groups around the state and the DCNR. We hope to raise the awareness of anyone who boats on public waters with regard to wake issues. There was a push back in 2007 that carried on for a couple of years to have a "proximity" regulation promulgated by the commissioner of the DCNR modeled after the one that exists in Georgia now. As with any current or future issue regarding boating in Alabama, there were people who supported such a regulation and people who opposed it. There was a change in administrations and the new commissioner chose to work with the stakeholder groups on a grass-roots level program: the Watch Your Wake/Share the Lake campaign. The LMRA and Lake Martin HOBOs were both involved in and instrumental in the process.

We believe that one of the best ways to modify behavior is through education and instead of us going at it alone we now have the support of the different associations around the state. Our first goal is to get the signs up in high visibility areas where large numbers of boats are.

Name:   CAT BOAT - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2013 6:30:27 PM

Thanks Matt.  Well said. 

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2013 7:48:58 PM

Thank you for the reply. And, good luck with the effort to correct bad behavior and bad attitude.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2013 8:19:34 PM

I thought about this a bit, and if the signs go up and the expectation is widely advertised, it will at least get to some of the uninformed. Very often the ones causing the problem are simply clueless - not trying to be rude - just don't know any better or don't realize they are making life miserable for others. Maybe the signs will make them a little more aware. On the other hand, it will do nothing to correct the behavior of those who just don't care or have an "in your face" approach to lake behavior.

Name:   LonghornBoater - Email Member
Date:   4/3/2013 10:20:14 AM

In my book any reduction is worth the effort

Name:   Firefighter Jim - Email Member
Date:   4/4/2013 9:50:15 AM

As a board member of LMRA, I have been asked by the President of LMRA to post that LMRA is highly supportive of the Watch Your Wake campaign and will do all we can to further this effort!

Name:   Spot Remover - Email Member
Date:   4/4/2013 2:04:51 PM

Has any thought been given to areas where the signs cannot be highly
visible.? (Unless a pole is put up in the water?)

Quick Links
Hampton News
Hampton Photos
Hampton Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

Hampton.USCoast.info
THE HAMPTON WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town