Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Bar Harbor Photo Gallery

Name:   lotowner - Email Member
Subject:   Unemployment
Date:   3/3/2010 10:49:57 AM

I just saw recently that this area has a need for tire changers at places like Big 10, Goodyear, etc. It also came to me that what other opportunities are there for employment.

Any where there is construction going on, you see immigrants from Mexico or Central America. Look for these people on:

1. road paving projects
2. House roofing
3. Block and brick laying
4. Concrete refinishing
5. Golf course maintenance
6. Private lawn maintenance

Also, be on the look out for dollars being routed to other countries such as Stimulus money being spent overseas to build wind turbines, etc. Corporations such as Emerson, GM, etc laying off workers in the USA and investing in Mexico or China. Corporations neeed incentives to invest in this country.

If we have 8 to 10 million illegals working in this country, that's 8 to 10 million jobs that are being taken from Americans. That's also 8 to 10 million Americans drawing unemployment.

You do not have to be a nuclear engineer to see what's going on in this country. Obama's ""Don't worry, I'll take care of you " is killing this country.

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Date:   3/3/2010 3:06:21 PM

Obama will take care of us alright. And no, he is not patting us on the backside...

Name:   Jural - Email Member
Date:   3/4/2010 12:23:38 PM

Were the jobs taken from Americans by illegals or given to illegals by Americans? I am not a sympathizer but we need to look at who is hiring, not so much as who is working. Offer any hungry man a job and he will take it. Corporations don't send work over seas, Americans that work for corporations do. It is on us..

Name:   wix - Email Member
Date:   3/4/2010 5:56:34 PM

If you offer a lazy sob welfare for life, he tends to not want to work; therefore, employers have to offer jobs with real work to illegals. It's a shame. Have you ever tried to hire someone on welfare?

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   3/4/2010 6:40:56 PM

You hit the nail on the head - but maybe in a way you didn't intend.

"Offer any hungry man a job and he will take it. "

Problem is that we have decided that we will not, as a society, allow anyone to go hungry. So, we set up welfare systems. We set up jobless benefits. We take away the will to work.

I would submit to you that employers would much rather hire red blooded Americans than illegals here in the US or send work outside our borders. The issue is simple economics, and the fact that we have placed our workers in a position of not having to work to avoid hunger. Employers are in business to make money. Why do the Vietnamese, the Mexicans, the central Americans work in our country? Because they are hungry. On the contrary, many of our own citizens are better off feeding from OUR trough than making it on their own. Why work when you are rewarded for not working (and having extra babies to claim on your taxes for a fat unearned check in February)?

Sooner or later someone will....no, MUST wake up and realize that we are screwing up by the numbers, and it is only getting worse in a geomteric rather than arithmetic progression.

Name:   wix - Email Member
Subject:   I think that's what I just said
Date:   3/4/2010 7:52:21 PM

and with a lot fewer words.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Subject:   I think that's what I just said
Date:   3/4/2010 9:32:31 PM

1. Pin a rose.

2. I was responding to Jural - who it appeared was trying to lay the blame on the employers when you and I know better.

3. Looks like we are in violent agreement so why the wise acre comment?

Date:   3/4/2010 11:43:00 PM

Regardless of the circumstance, some of the blame must lie on our own back. Whether it be lazy trough dwellers or the corporation that chooses to hire anyone other than an American citizen. My point is that the illegal alien, as opposed to the legal alien:), can not be blamed entirely. In your scenario, they seem to be the only ones that actually desire to work for what they have. In my family, it is not an option, you work or you can work.

Wix made a valid point. Welfare for life is a mistake on all levels. There should be some obvious checks and balances in that system. Loopholes should be closed and those that have abused it should be permanently banned for further assistance. But this is also an attempt at a typical smoke and mirrors ploy. You can't say we have to hire illegals because we are too lazy to work. By "we" I imply Americans. Since we have chosen to group all illegal aliens in one group I find it only fair that we do the same to ourselves. Americans that want to work in America should be first to get a job. Americans that don't want a job in America should also get a job. No more free rides.

Name:   Yankee06 - Email Member
Date:   3/5/2010 12:41:32 AM

-Unemployment is a tough issue to deal with. Each case has to be evaluated on its own.

-However, having said that, let's generalize for sake of discussion.

-Let's take a 30 year-old man who has worked all his adult life. He is layed off. As I understand it, Alabama's unemployment system pays between $45 -$255 per week. How much a person receives depends on several factors such as work history, pay history, family, etc.

-Now let's say our guy above qualifies for the $255 per week, is he going to take a job that pays $8 an hour for $320 per week, a mere $75 difference?. Unlikely. When you put in the cost of going to work (gas, lunch, clothes cleaning, baby sitting, etc)then it's very unlikely.

-Now if our guy, because of his work history etc, is only going receive unemployment compensation of $150 per week, then he
might take that $320 job because it means an extra $170 per week, that might be worth getting off the couch for.

-I've worked with single mothers with 2 or 3 kids, and to make it worth while for them to go to work they need a job that pays at least $12/hour.

-How long can one receive benefits? I'm not sure today, but it use to be 26 weeks unemployment, another 33 weeks for extended unemployment, then another 20 for emergency extended unemployment. It's either a long time to be on teh couch watching TV ...or a long time for not being able to pay your mortgage, your kids tuition, your medical insurance, or take your wife out to dinner, etc......

Date:   3/5/2010 10:55:09 AM

That is a very interesting example. And more than likely is more fact than fiction. Assuming then that an individual decides to sit at home and draw off of the sweat of others rather than provide for himself, what is to be done? Does the government step in and say, "Here is a job, take it or lose compensation". We would have to weigh the differences between motivation and incentives. Motivation being "Take this job or lose all compensation" and incentives being higher paying jobs. All the while not giving the job to an individual who is not an American citizen who is actually willing to work. No easy answer to this one. I hate to put it this way but, from the standpoint of a parent, we have to teach our children to actually desire to work. To make accomplishments that they are proud of and to want to provide for their family. But then we are back to those that have more kids to get more money from our system. Setting the example for their own. Bleak and sad!

Quick Links
Bar Harbor News
Bar Harbor Photos
Bar Harbor Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

BarHarbor.USCoast.info
THE BAR HARBOR WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town