Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Subject:   Something took my Tree
Date:   3/11/2010 9:03:59 AM

Got up this morning to find that my small weeping Japanese maple is gone, and a small pile of woodchips around what is left of the trunk. It was planted down near the shoreline. It happened sometimes yesterday or during the night, because it was sure there yesterday.
Beaver?

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 9:13:24 AM

Yup. Not the first year this has happened. They've taken several small trees from my property recently and there are significant portions of bark and wood gone from some larger ones. What I can't figure out is where they are building their nest(s). The trees just disappear.

Why can't they take out the blasted pine trees and leave the decent ones alone?

Nasreddin Hodja

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 9:33:03 AM

Pine sap is basically weak turpintine and tastes really bad, therefore, the buggers prefer hardwoods. The 'nests' AKA dams and dens are mostly likely up in a creek feeding a nearby slough. They are considered vermin and can be harvested if they are a nuisance. If you don't do something the problem usually progresses once they have 'discovered' you.

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 9:47:30 AM

FEB said that he was trying to keep the lake level up this time, so he has donated it to the Gods of Dams. Sounds like beavers, and like lifer said, once you supply them right, they will return for more. Our neighbor lost a couple of trees by the lake until she put a fence around the trunks - be sure that it is fairly high or get a fence charger and wire.

Name:   8hcap - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 10:23:14 AM

I lost two native dogwoods and several major trunks of crepe myrtles before I finally gave up and put wire caging around my trees. I did leave off the willow with a 8-10" caliper trunk and that ()&(*** beaver got that last summer. Every night around dusk he would come hang around my pier and slap his tail at anyone that dared tread there. One night I saw him coming towards my green light and he swam right through it and under my floating pier. If I had no houses around I would dispatch him with a night vision rifle.

Name:   lakeweekends - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 10:34:56 AM

Yes we lost a weeping cherry a few years ago. This year something has moved large sections of our black drain pipe all around the yard -- appears as something got stuck in and bounced around till it got free. Now it leaves yet another project on that long list!

Date:   3/11/2010 11:11:57 AM

And here I thought the only thing I had to worry about was deer. Now y'all have got me worried about two dogwoods that are down near the water too. Looks like I can send Feb and Talu out to some night hunting.

Date:   3/11/2010 11:20:36 AM

If shoooting is out of the question you can contact your local Game Warden and ask about trapping and relocating.

Name:   widgethater - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 12:54:06 PM

Hound- better get them quickly, because they will go after black hydaulic hoses, black steering or fuel lines, and electrical lines. As was said, they are vermin and should be shot.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 1:47:24 PM

Take comfort in the fact that we use trees (usually hybrid poplars) to remediate sites and at one of them we just planted a bunch of trees and a crafty beaver chewed up every single one of them. Needless to say our client and the regulatory agency was not amused at having to replace 30+ trees. Some joker in our office placed a beanie baby beaver with a plaque saying "I just love those poplars" on the desk of the project manager. Everyone's a comedian. Good luck with your battle with the beavers.

Name:   froghog - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 3:04:00 PM

Fact #1 Beavers will eat/cut down pine trees. I have one leving on the lot next door. He is in the process of clearing that lot.
Fact #2 Beavers do not eat fuel or other type lines on your boat. The wiley muskrat is that culprit.
The best way to keep beavers from eating your trees (other than killing them), is to wrap the trunk with wire type fencing, chicken wire or corrugated drain pipe. Don't get it too tight leave room for the tree to grow. Cut the pipe down one side and slide it over the trunk again not too tight.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Name:   Council Roc Doc - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 3:26:35 PM

If you trap that wiley rascal, I know that beaver fur is darn warm and water proof. Have Feb fashion you a fur coat.

Name:   Feb - Email Member
Subject:   Oh Well, If I Have to:
Date:   3/11/2010 3:57:33 PM

Looks like I have to go Beaver Hunting :)

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 5:07:44 PM

Make sure yuo use your rifle, and not your gun.....

Date:   3/11/2010 6:03:58 PM

I think it is even legal to use a spotlight on them.

Name:   roswellric - Email Member
Subject:   Not unusual....
Date:   3/11/2010 9:43:34 PM

Beavers are always around trees like bumpers are closely in proximity with docks.

Name:   lucky67 - Email Member
Date:   3/11/2010 11:04:10 PM

Big Foot sighting, maybe ??

Name:   kirbys dropwing - Email Member
Date:   3/12/2010 8:06:10 AM

One night a week ago , two nights in a row, I saw something on my porch, I thought was a beaver but now believe it was a muskrat after my bird seed. It runs down the wall and back to the water when it sees me.

Name:   BigFoot - Email Member
Date:   3/12/2010 8:42:04 AM

Hey....watch it...no tree gnawer here...

Subject:   Not unusual....
Date:   3/12/2010 8:43:42 AM

..wouldn't touch that wid...naaa not even gonna say that...

Date:   3/12/2010 12:51:24 PM

Subject:   Beaver Still At-Large, but
Date:   3/12/2010 12:57:48 PM

I did trap a beautiful red fox in my attempt to capture the beaver. It was caught in a large Hav-A-Hart trap and was released safely within a few minutes of being captured.

I posted two pictues on the forum. Hope Bruce can help ensure they show up for eveyone's viewing pleasure. The fox was very charming

Name:   Webmaster - Email Member
Date:   3/12/2010 3:56:03 PM

Lamar,

I've posted the fox photo to your thread above and added it to the conservation gallery.

Bruce

URL: Lamar's Captured Red Fox

Name:   Ulysses E. McGill - Email Member
Date:   3/12/2010 4:47:49 PM

Is he (or she) really that light in color or is it the lighting? We have a family of them in our woods and they are much darker.

Subject:   Thank You Bruce
Date:   3/12/2010 5:22:32 PM

Was it an operator error, or do you have to do the control the viewing? I can understand why you might want to.

Thanks again~

Subject:   Hey jlazc,
Date:   3/12/2010 5:28:47 PM

Hope you are doing great. The camera caught about the right shade of color on this one. It was unusually light in color. Maybe it was a young fox.

We seem to have a lot of red fox in our neck of the woods. I get a lot of pictures of them with my trail camera, but it depicts them in black and white.

I have the trap re-set for the beaver. Anyone know of a good bait. I hate to send off for special scents. I am using potatoes, carrots and apples for lack of any good idea.

Date:   3/12/2010 5:50:24 PM

For bait, try diamonds, pearls, gold and chocolate......sorry, couldn't resist; I tried, but RR pushed me over the edge.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   3/12/2010 6:07:37 PM

There was one cavorting in our slough one night -- spending a fair amount of time under water, then lounging at water's edge on the other side. The chewing and smacking sound made me think it might be feasting on fresh water mussels. I occasionally find mussel shells on our wooden steps that go down to the floating dock, so that theory might be plausible. Just don't know how you would keep the mussles attractive to the critter since away from the water and in a trap they are a bit perishable. Does the trap work partially submerged?

Subject:   How about....
Date:   3/12/2010 6:27:20 PM

... a Japanese Maple?

:)

I couldn't resist this one feb. It was meant in jest not joust...lol.

Name:   Webmaster - Email Member
Subject:   Thank You Bruce
Date:   3/12/2010 6:59:49 PM

Right now I have to manually link objects connected to posts, that that is going to change real soon.

Date:   3/12/2010 7:18:07 PM

Thanks, Feb, for sharing the pics...and thanks for releasing it unharmed...

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Subject:   Bite My Tongue NT
Date:   3/12/2010 7:48:54 PM

Subject:   How about....
Date:   3/12/2010 7:56:07 PM

LMAO! Ya gotta laugh at that one feb....and maybe try it!

Subject:   One thing about the Fox
Date:   3/12/2010 8:15:42 PM

He was making a little "urrp, urrp" noise. I had no idea what kind of sound they made. He looked very small in the cage, but when he got out, he appeared regular size. But, he was very light in color. He seemed very calm and had very intelligent eyes.

Regarding the beaver, I feel like I should stuff money in the trap, considering what we paid for that tree. I hope he is enjoying it. Unfortunately, he took the whole tree with him, so any thoughts of using it as bait are moot.

Hodja -- yes, this is a metal have-a-heart trap, so it could be partially submerged, I think.

Name:   charlesph30 - Email Member
Date:   3/13/2010 8:19:33 AM

Where did they go? Try looking under your neighbor's floating dock.

Name:   roswellric - Email Member
Subject:   Sure...
Date:   3/15/2010 9:47:29 PM

you would.... :-)

Name:   froghog - Email Member
Date:   3/17/2010 9:09:22 AM

You can stop trying to trap that beaver. Beavers are herbivores and and it's very unlikely you would be able to trap it. You could shoot it or better yet just wrap your trees and let it alone.
On Lake Martin we have 3 different type of little fury swimming animals. They are beavers, otters and muskrats. Often people confuse/misidentify them. Beavers do not eat clams, that would be either the otter, muskrat or raccoon. Beavers are nocturnal and most sightings are in the very early morning when it is returning to is den. Hope this helps.
Mike

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE