Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   kimbo47 - Email Member
Subject:   Fishing Or Stalking?
Date:   3/31/2010 7:23:02 PM

Fishing in front of a person's lake front property is fine. Fishing in front of a person's lake front property for an hour or more is not so fine. I realize I have no control over the lake, but put yourself in my shoes. How would you like it if I parked my car in front of your house and stayed there for a while. I just wish fishermen could be a little bit more considerate!

Name:   blmeanie - Email Member
Date:   3/31/2010 7:38:38 PM

go down to the shoreline and beat a drum or make some loud noises, perhaps the fish won't bite as much...

Name:   Maverick - Email Member
Subject:   Solution
Date:   3/31/2010 7:39:03 PM

Same thing happened to me last year. Had a boat basically anchored at my pier for 2 nights in a row for 2 to 3 hours both nights. Same boat.

So I asked for suggestions on the forum and the response, which I liked was go out to your dock with a handful of fireworks and start setting them off, get the ones with the little missiles that go in every direction.

Another idea is to set up 4 or 5 fishing poles and make it look like you are fishing and then if they come up say would you mine as I am trying to fish here.

As I tried being polite, but just did not work. I know I do not own the lake, but a little common courtesy would be nice when you are sitting on your lakeside porch trying to enjoy the serenity of the lake.

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   3/31/2010 8:17:53 PM

If they are white and drinking beer, play some loud hip hop. If they are black try some country. If they look like they post on the Forum play the Obama inauguration speech. If all else fails call the Marine Police and ask that they check for a valid fishing license. At least there will be a record of who they are. Also, record their boat number on the bow. Finally, there must be fish around your dock if they are spending that much time there. Take up fishing...it can be quite relaxing and is an enjoyable pastime.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   3/31/2010 8:33:11 PM

Here's one possibility. Start burning a small pile of pine straw down by the water, but make sure it doesn't get quite enough oxygen and sends a pall of smoke over the area. Then put it out when they are gone. The smoke will soon dissipate and chance are they will get your drift.

Name:   Barneget - Email Member
Date:   3/31/2010 9:26:38 PM

I use my leaf blower, on the sea wall, on the dock, by the boat ramp, on the dock again. Just trying to keep my place looking good for the next boat load. My plan is to offer them a refreshment as soon as I am finished but they usually motor off before I can.

Name:   Old Crappie - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2010 7:08:26 AM

Several years ago on Lake Martin, on a cold February day, I caught a couple of crappie in front of a pier. I probably was the only person stupid enough to be fishing that day. A man came out of his house from 50 yards away and told me I could not fish there. I told him I could fish anywhere on Martin because it was a PUBLIC LAKE. He threatened to kill me if I didn't move. It got somewhat heated after that. Folks,the length of time a person fishes in front of your lot in a public lake has nothing to do with anything. Common courtesy won't let me fish around your place if you are on your pier or fishing there. But if no one is there I'm gonna fish. When someone comes out of there cabin with the sole purpose of harassing a legitimate activity on the lake, then I consider that person to be the troublemaker. By the way. I used to have a lot on the lake. People fished my pier all the time. It didn't bother me a bit.

Name:   lamont - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2010 8:55:58 AM

I don't mind people fishing my "dock." However, I am an early riser and my favorite time of day is 4:30 to 7:00 AM. As such, on warm mornings, I take my mug of coffee to the dock and expect fishermen to leave when I get there. I have had several altercations with fishermen who continued to cast their Hula-Poppers at my head. I realize they are within their rights to continue fishing my dock however, once their errant cast hits my dock, I insist they go somewhere else. If they refuse, I start the leaf blower. Has worked extremely well in the past.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   I like GF's solution of all these suggestions
Date:   4/1/2010 9:40:16 AM

I have to admit I have never had this problem but we live up a slough and not on deep water. No doubt it is a public lake and they are within their rights to park in front of your property and fish but staying for a long time seems inconsiderate to me, especially if you are there trying to enjoy your morning coffee.

As for Crappie's experience, there are apparently some nut jobs on the lake. That may have been my neighbor who complains if you go past his place at more than a half mile an hour because his old, dilapidated docks can't take a wave more than 2 inches high before they fall apart. I could see him threatening to kill someone for fishing in front of his dock......but who would want to? :-)

Name:   Yankee06 - Email Member
Subject:   Fishin
Date:   4/1/2010 10:03:20 AM

Well, I don't know what goes on while I'm not at the lake house.
-But on two occassions I have had fishermen doing their thing for over an hour about two feet from my dock. On both occasions I just went down on teh dock and asked them why they were fishing my dock? What was it about this spot that made them stop? Then I say, "Well I was just asking, because for some reason, fishermen stop here a lot, but I have never seen anybody catch anything, and I mean never!" Then I sit down and start reading. They both left in about 5 minutes.

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2010 12:01:05 PM

I love hip-hop, the louder and more profane, the better. I also voted for Obama because I feel that the Government is more capable of making spending decisions than I am. I go to work to earn money so that the lowlifes can continue to sit on their cans, smoke crack and reproduce. Feel free to moor just off my dock and fish, I will bring down some cold Bud Light Draft for you - how would you like your steak cooked?

Name:   MAJ USA RET - Email Member
Subject:   Problem
Date:   4/1/2010 12:59:23 PM

Hmmm? My old, nearly deaf friend and I enjoy fishing. If the reports say that the fish are hanging out under docks… we fish around docks (he is a former, long time, lake front/dock owner).

We have nothing nefarious in mind when we fish docks… or shore or hazard buoys. We don’t hang around docks for a long time… we’re constantly moving anyway. A few casts… hopefully a catch. If someone is on the dock, or in the yard, or fishing… we don’t “intrude”. Common courtesy.

Try a friendly word first, “Hey, how’s fishin’?” I’d be willing to bet you’ll get a friendly response. Remember, they are moving on… they ALWAYS do.

However, if they are rude… a leaf blower would be in order… or clomping around the dock.

Jet skis, wake boarders, loudspeakers blasting, humongous wakes… THAT is rude.

Name:   ecstasypoint - Email Member
Subject:   Problem
Date:   4/1/2010 3:00:24 PM

I'm with you MAJ USA, there's a lot of rudeness on the lake. Jetskies and rude fishermen alike. Not all are rude, but so many are, that it is a real issue. Every time this issue comes up on this forum it turns into a joke, but it really isn't funny. I wish this year everyone would think for just a moment about the poor slobs who actually live in those house and pay the taxes here. There isn't any excuse for the way the homeowners here are treated by the folks who use this lake.

Name:   Tall Cotton - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2010 3:24:18 PM

On our lake, Center Hill, there are almost no lake lots. All the shoreline is controlled by the Army Corp of Engineers. As such, houseboats are the norm. Rudeness to us is the boat operator that has no idea that we can't stop on a dime and cuts in front of us pulling skiers or tubers. If thay fall we will do our best to stop but it still takes time. Wake is our other issue. We usually travel in groups, tied together. A large wake can cause considerable damage. Remember, a boat planed out throws less wake than one plowing. Generally I see little knowledge of basic safety rules. Boats run everywhere and have little regard for others. We all need to be considerate of others whether it's fishing around their dock, operating a PWC or boat, or allowing them to exercise their right to use the lake too. It's tough out there so lets be safe!

Subject:   Spot On... NT
Date:   4/1/2010 4:10:50 PM

Subject:   Agree
Date:   4/1/2010 4:16:46 PM

The larger problem is that there is a general lack of courtesy in the United States; be it on the lake, the roads, in businesses or schools. On the roads and lakes being considerate can be much more than courteous, it can preserve life.

Name:   Jural - Email Member
Subject:   Problem (Jet Skis)
Date:   4/1/2010 4:56:18 PM

I own a few jet skis and ride them often. I would like to get a general consensus of what is considered rude behavior. I consider myself to be safe and courteous, but I am biased. Are Jet Skis taboo or is it the individual operating them that is the problem? I only ask because it was stated as jet skis and rude behavior. As if they are synonymous. Just wondering, but not stirring for an argument.:)

Subject:   Problem (operator)
Date:   4/1/2010 5:01:12 PM

The problem has NEVER been with PWC or big boats, it has always been, and will continue to be rude operators.

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Subject:   Problem (Jet Skis)
Date:   4/1/2010 5:51:53 PM

Waverunners, per se, are not taboo. But, the operator is the problem.
Most do not consider as "rude", repeatedly flying by close to a dock, even with swimmers or fishing activity clearly obvious. Or constantly performing acrobatics in a narrow cove close by numerous docks.
As a JetSki enthusiast, could these same things not be performed further out in the lake?? It almost seems that many are actually "performing" for all the folks watching and cursing them.
Unfortunately, boaters are guilty also. We have "Gray Hairs" like me cruising through our cove at a speed that throws the biggest wake possible for that boat. Completely oblivious to the wake left behind.
It ain't the craft. It is the person.

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2010 7:17:50 PM

We're lucky in that we don't see a lot of fishermen. I generally don't have a problem if they do come fish here - but we've never experienced some of the horrors that have been described.

I do find the wave runners annoying because they don't usually slow down in the slough. I try to be understanding that people are just trying to have a good time and they are not setting out to be rude or annoy the homeowners. We live on the lake full time, so this is only an annoyance for part of the year, and then usually only on the weekends. During the week, there is normally perfect peace.

Date:   4/2/2010 9:27:07 AM

I am a sailor and a sometime fisherman. Note that both of these are relatively quiet experiences. I don't begrudge those who desire action toys - I just wish they would do that at a reasonable distance.

I do begrudge anyone who thinks that hip-hop (or any other form of "music") should be heard by the waterskier/wakeboarder they are towing. THAT is rude and inexcusable... it denies quiet enjoyment of the lake by others. Sometimes that cacophony cares all of the way across the lake. It's the new culture of "In yo face!"

On a hot summer day when I am nearly (or fully) becalmed in my sailboat, inevitably, some power freak will rumble (or roar) by at maximum displacement speed. I cannot turn into his wake if I have no way on. The result is that my boat and mates take a severe beating.

Y'all are right: speed - power - hot-dogging do not belong in coves. They should not be perpetrated anywhere near other boats, fishermen, and especially docks and swimmers.

If you are on your dock or having a gathering, I won't be stopping there to fish. If you are in your yard and wave to me, I will wave back. BUT, if I feel I am in any way being intrusive... I'll move on.

TWO RULES:

#1 - The Golden Rule
#2 - Personal freedom ends when it deprives another of his or hers.

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   Once again...
Date:   4/2/2010 9:54:29 AM

... someone complains about watercraft on a lake. Unbeleivable!! did you ever consider that maybe it is your attitude that causes you the grief? Maybe you should just relax and watch them. I will never understand why folks want to live on the water and then complain about the activities that take place. PWC's go into sloughs to play becuase they don't want to get run over in the big water while they are doing what the craft is designed to do.

But I really like the 'poor slobs' comment. I have always felt like an unlucky b@st@rd being forced to live on the lake.

Subject:   Myopic Thinking
Date:   4/2/2010 3:59:04 PM

Please re-read rule number 2 in the post directly above.

Explain why this does not apply to PWCs or any other agressive, damaging, or inconsiderate behavior.

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town