Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Subject:   I am offended
Date:   5/6/2010 3:28:53 PM

The school SYSTEM says it was wrong, but WHAT are they teaching our kids?

URL: Students offensive behavior

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Let me answer that
Date:   5/6/2010 4:28:31 PM

They are teaching them all sorts of leftist garbage but for some reason can't get around to reading, writing and math. The cesspool that I call government schools is why I send my children to private schools. Many of those that can't afford private school go one step better and home school their children.

That was absolutely disgraceful and do I dare say it, unAmerican and unpatriotic.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   5/6/2010 4:36:11 PM

Morgan Hill is just south of San Jose and silicon valley....and a lot of the agricultural (fruits and nuts) types from there moved south to save some money after their houses of cards collapsed.....

Pitiful double standard.

What the he!! is wrong with this country???

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   What's wrong???
Date:   5/6/2010 5:00:41 PM

LIBERALS AND POLITCAL CORRECTNESS.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Subject:   What's wrong???
Date:   5/6/2010 5:38:45 PM

No argument there, but how did we get to the point that the NBSBL no longer counts? Where did we err?

(NBSBL = no "bovine shinola" bottom line)

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   5/6/2010 6:33:43 PM

This makes a good case for a policy that allows no T-shirts with any kind of slogans or pattern. That way, no one is offended and the teachers and administrators can devote their time to the business of education, instead of worry about school violence.
In principle, I don't see anything wrong with students that want to display their patriotism; however, the principal did not say that he was concerned that Mexican students would be offended -- he was just trying to prevent fights. He didn't reprimand the students. My sympathies are with the educators on this one. They are between a rock and hard place.

Name:   au67 - Email Member
Date:   5/6/2010 7:01:51 PM

Why not send all the students with Mexican flag apparel and paintings home instead? This is really not a very complicated issue...just a political one!

Name:   Barneget - Email Member
Subject:   Hound, that thinking is hosed ..
Date:   5/6/2010 7:25:25 PM

Hound, there was no policy in place yesterday, May 5, and I am not sure I understand how that makes a good case for one. Offended by a picture of an American flag? Same picture interfering with the business of education, and inciting violence, at a school, within our borders? You are sympathetic to the educators? You, and thinkers like you, let me be kind here, are out of your minds. Bless your little heart. Using your thought process, your post is inflammatory because it makes me want to fight, for my flag, and my constitutionally guaranteed rights. Please, God Bless this USA.

Name:   alahusker - Email Member
Subject:   Hound is right on again..
Date:   5/6/2010 8:01:24 PM

This situation makes a clear point that no school kid should wear anything that even resembles an Americcan flag on his/her shirt.. That is clearly offensive and inflamatory.. Don't you guys get it??

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   5/6/2010 8:03:29 PM

With no policy in place, I find it offensive too.

I served on a school board and parents would jump to conclusions without facts. Are there Latino gangs at the school and the fear was that on that particular day wearing the American flag might cause harm to the kids?

In absence of a policy would you have a problem sending your teenage kid to school where there is a high percentage of black students wearing a t-shirt with the rebel flag on Martin Luther King Day? You answer may well be he&& no but the administration may fear harm to your kid and ban it.

I am not trying to compare the two flags but mealy the reaction by the administration to a fear, real or imagined, that may have caused them to take the offensive action they did.

We are living at weird time and what occurred was not a liberal reaction to the flag. While it is an easy fallback to suggest, it demeans the conservative movement.

I voted for change, I am proud of it, AND I love the American flag and all that it stands for.

Name:   lotowner - Email Member
Date:   5/6/2010 8:27:01 PM

If I hear the term "I voted for change and I'm proud of it" many more times, I think that I might just puke. Please tell the forum what change you wanted from His Excellency, President (For Life?)Barrack Hussein Obama.

Higher taxes?

Loss of Health Care that many enjoy today? Incidentally, I just heard today that many major corporations are thinking of eliminating health care and paying the fine. This has only been around since WWII.

Illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America? 10+M New Democrat voters? How many Doctors, Engineers, Nurses, and other professionals? Since when does this country reward criminals for breaking the law?

Elimination of terms such as "War on Terror, Islamic Terrorist, etc.?

Telling the world that we have 5,314 Nuclear Bombs?

Reading Terrorist their Miranda Rights?

Subject:   I don't think
Date:   5/6/2010 8:47:42 PM

you are thinking this through. Suppose the principal was trying to protect the kids wearing the flag stuff? We don't know the ethnic make up of the school. Would it be worth it to you to have your kid shot or knifed over a lousy T-shirt? Don't forget that in some schools, kids get killed over a pair of sneakers or a jacket.

Subject:   Well that is nothing new
Date:   5/6/2010 8:52:36 PM

your thinking that my viewpoint is "hosed". I personally think your thinking is hosed, because you are once again wrapping yourself in the flag without thinking. See my post above. How would you feel if your kid were knifed or shot over a lousy T-shirt? Would that be worth it? I think the principal did the right thing.

Date:   5/6/2010 9:03:30 PM

School is for learning. It is not supposed to be a "platform" -- times have changed, and I fear you are seriously behind the times in the nature of the school environment these days. We're not taking about a fist fight on the playground which I'm sure is the nature of the "danger" when you grew up. Schools have to be seriously concerned about violence and bullying and a whole host of other things that probably didn't exist when you, or even your children were in school. It's real.
Teenagers don't necessarily have the best judgement -- at that age they think they are invincible.

Date:   5/6/2010 9:06:45 PM

Hound. Apparently the school board disagrees with you. What I find comical is they were sent home half way through the school day so apparently up to that point thew only person that noticed or cared was the PC-laden school administrator. If they want to protect them from fights, a dubious reason in my view, they could suspend any hispanic student that starts a fight because of someone's shirt.

As for me, the 5th of May I plan to burn a Mexican flag and the President of Mexico in effigy. You know, free speech and all.....you do believe in free speech don't you?

Subject:   GF is offended
Date:   5/6/2010 9:29:08 PM

What do you find offensive? Kids wearing the image of an American flag on their their t-shirt, or the fact that there was no policy in place to address what items or images may or may not be worn? Wearing the image of an American flag causes no harm in American schools. If there was any danger, it would be from the Latino gangs. Therefore, Latino gangs should be the cause for concern, Latino gangs should be addressed, Latino gangs should be removed from the school, not children of tax paying American citizens expressing support for our nation. I'll ignore the comparison to MLK day. Finally, you are trolling with your closing statement. Give it up.

Subject:   HeY Barnieeeeeeee
Date:   5/6/2010 9:35:15 PM

READ what I wrote. What do you find confusing? You seem to have selective reading or just a wing nut bias. Whatever it is, I find you rather amusing.

"With no policy in place, I find it offensive too."

Subject:   Hey MM
Date:   5/6/2010 9:40:40 PM

Hound has you so unglued you post on May 6th that you are going to burn the Mexicican flag on May 5.

The point of Hound's post is would you rather have the kid suspended for knifing your kid for wearing the flag shirt on that one day or have them send your kid home for a different shirt? It is not a matter of love for our flag. It is the safety of you kid.

Date:   5/6/2010 9:43:41 PM

Wrapping myself in my flag? Not this time. It is about my rights as an American, my kids and your kid’s rights as Americans, to peacefully express themselves. What if you were wearing an Obama shirt while you sat at the clinic, and were told it might provoke an angry response from some of the "locals" you malign on this forum, and were to turn it inside out or leave? What would your thinking be? How would you react? Would you be offended? Of course you would, and that would just because you showed support for a jackass. These kids were wearing an image of the symbol of our nation. And nobody should ever fear retribution, or retaliation, for waving an American flag on American soil. Swiftly address the issue. Send the cockroaches back south, save $400 billion/year in Fed/State/local spending. Oh, your messiah thinks AZ is misguided ONLY because he could be subject to arrest and deportation if he visits that state.

Subject:   HeY Gonieeeee, I reread your post
Date:   5/6/2010 9:54:45 PM

I opened with a request for clarification.

"What do you find offensive? Kids wearing the image of an American flag on their t-shirt, or the fact that there was no policy in place to address what items or images may or may not be worn? "

My normal comprehension rate is about 85% yet somehow I missed your 4 words buried in the text. My apologies (as a card carrying bleeder, you are required to accept my public apology regardless of sincerity). I promise to reread post prior to pushing the reply button.

Subject:   Hey GF
Date:   5/6/2010 10:06:15 PM

Again, I thank you for your service to our country. I find it hard to believe however, that you can say "hide the flag" to think that you gain some sense of safety. This is America, this is OUR flag. If ANYONE has a problem with that - they need to get the f*** out of our country and return to a place in which they feel more comfortable. I am planning on being at the lake tomorrow night about 2100, the flag goes up, and the light on her goes on within about 30 minutes of oour arrival - if anyone has a problem with that - just knock on the door and we can talk.

Subject:   Hey Huskiee, Barnie, MM, etal
Date:   5/6/2010 10:20:00 PM

You guys seem to imply that not allowing the flag on a shirt at school is a liberal issue. Let’s look closer to home in the Red state of Alabama. Let’s narrow it down to the schools in Tallapoosa County:

“Students in Tallapoosa County shall abide by the following modified dress guidelines:

1. All clothing choices (shirts, pants, jackets, etc.) are to be solid in color, without symbols, slogans, logos, emblems, pictures or any other items that would prevent them from being solid in nature.”

Huskie, if you, MM, Barnie or any other wing nut feels so strongly about the issue you need to attend the next Tallapoosa School Board meeting and voice your feelings. Here is your chance to actually speak up for CHANGE and make those of us who love our flag proud of you. Ask for a change so the kids can express patriotism by displaying our flag at school on their shirts.

Why do I think you guys are all mouth and no action!!!!

Name:   willallie - Email Member
Date:   5/6/2010 10:20:23 PM

...and really worry that my grandchildren have to go to school in this environment.

Date:   5/6/2010 10:38:15 PM

You are talking apples and hand grenades - the requirement for solid colors is global, the Commiefornia school allowed different flags on different days. Sounds like Tallapoosa County has a policy that requires what is called a uniform for schools.

Date:   5/6/2010 10:50:04 PM

You are RIGHT. Fantastic advice. I should be more active in civic affairs at all levels. I was unaware that students in the Tallapoosa County public schools could not wear images of the US or Alabama flag. My kids attend Auburn schools, and I don't give a whole lot of thought to how my Tallapoosa county tax dollars are spent, as I can't legally vote there. Since the property tax rape of 2006, I just write the check, and make sure to buy EVERYTHING I may need for my season in a jurisdiction where I can express my preference in the voting booth. In that same jurisdiction, I have served on the CofC board, United Way Board and Officer, Boys and Girls Club board, Homeowners Association Officer, attended numerous School Board, Planning Commission and Economic Development Council meetings, spoken at a number of City Council meetings, in both my town, and the adjacent town, and, recently led a small delegation of local merchants to meet with our State Senator for help in closing the sales tax loophole on internet and catalog sales, not to limit competition, but to capture much need local tax revenue lost to the net. I will investigate the local school district dress code rules regarding the flag, and if I feel the issue needs my attention, the issue will get my attention.

Date:   5/6/2010 11:00:06 PM

Hound, you are Right, my thinking your thinking is hosed is nothing new. The principal did the wrong thing sending the flag wearing kids home when he/she should have been sending the life threatening parasites home.

Subject:   EXCUSE ME
Date:   5/6/2010 11:02:48 PM

Barrack Obama is the President of the United States, NOT MY MESSIAH. How dare you say such a thing? As far as Jack asses go, I think it is quite clear who the jackass is, and his initials are not BO.

And don't you dare speak to me about your patriotism.

I obviously could say a lot more, but I'm not going to. Suffice to say with your post, you have reached a new low.

Subject:   Yeah
Date:   5/6/2010 11:05:32 PM

I could definitely see someone like you doing something like that. You know, MM, you are a real role model.

Date:   5/6/2010 11:05:43 PM

Hound, my Old Timers kicked in and I replied to your reply twice, hours apart. Probably need to get some Federal Agency involved, to develop and implement regulations designed to prevent future occurances

Subject:   EXCUSE ME Hound
Date:   5/6/2010 11:10:54 PM

With which post did I reach a new low?

Subject:   While you are worrying about their
Date:   5/6/2010 11:12:29 PM

political platform at achool, and their right to dress as they please, I hope that you spend a little bit of time worrying about their physical safety, so that if some kid decides that he likes their sneakers better than his own, that he doesn't decide to take them at gunpoint.

Subject:   Hound, you are too much
Date:   5/7/2010 8:05:56 AM

So we should not dress our children the we/they want because some THUG may take it from them. NOT ONCE have you said the bullies, gangs, thugs, AKA criminals should be suspended/expelled, only that the LAW ABIDING CHILDREN, should CHANGE to suit the whims of the thugs.

Thank GOD you and feb didn't have children to pass on your 'values' too. Maybe you should be a parent before you lecture REAL parents on how to raise children.

Name:   4691 - Email Member
Subject:   It's not even a Mexican holiday...
Date:   5/7/2010 8:21:05 AM

so why the big deal. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's independence day...that's in September. This little unofficial celebration is about a battle Mexico won against the FRENCH. So why would an American flag be disrespectful on this "Americanized" Mexican holiday? Just an another example of living in the United States of the Offended.

Subject:   Next year GF, next year
Date:   5/7/2010 8:31:29 AM

and I am really looking forward to it. Unless I can find another suitable day before then. Any suggestions? And by the way, Hound is completely incapable of getting to me as are you. But you do provide ample entertainment and provide many opportunities for me to engage in controversy.....keeps the mind sharp.

Subject:   Gee, thanks
Date:   5/7/2010 8:35:57 AM

Just following the lead of the Community Organizer in Chief. I am really looking forward to the burning ceremony. Viva la revolution! Oh wait a second, that's a commie thing.......God bless America!....oh wait a second, that's insensitive to illegal aliens and Islamofascist jihadists.......how bout them Yankees......nope, Sox fans would be offended.....oh, well, never mind.....

Subject:   My, my....a bit touchy are we?
Date:   5/7/2010 8:44:06 AM

Hound, no one is saying that you think the Messiah is "your" Messiah. This is a play on the messianic terms that many of Obama's devotees use when speaking of him. Some have gone so far as to say he is like the second coming.

As we see every day not only is it totally appropriate to speak derisively of his as the Messiah but he continues to drop in the polls. Latest one indicated only 39% would vote for him again. Of course all this could change with the economy but if they keep going the direction they are going we will repeat the recovery, or lack thereof, during FDR's first two terms in the depression.

Since taking office we have had three domestic terror events of which one was successful and two were incompetently run failures. Hoping the fuse doesn't work is not much of a national security strategy is it?

Subject:   By the way
Date:   5/7/2010 8:46:53 AM

I think you are patriotic. Its just that you believe a million wrong things before breakfast. But I have no doubt you love your country. Heck, after only so many years of government service you were able to retire in relative comfort at a lake house. If I could find a sugar daddy like that I would love it too. No harm or foul in that is there?

Date:   5/8/2010 10:14:04 AM

Of course I think thugs should be jailed. But dead is still dead.

And you are right, I don't have any children. But having seen the grief that REAL parents go through when something awful happens to their children -- I don't think you have to have children yourself to feel it.

BTW, how many children do you have?

Date:   5/8/2010 12:39:46 PM

By which count, real or step?

Name:   alahusker - Email Member
Subject:   wow this is a hot button thread.
Date:   5/8/2010 11:14:59 PM

Would jump in with an opinion, but thinking I can talk my wife of some 45+ years (and a NaNa several times over) into the hot tub with a glass of wine.. Priorities overcome politics, and passion rules..

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town