Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   water_watcher - Email Member
Subject:   Obama's Flip Flop on Sequester
Date:   2/20/2013 7:49:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWFrL2PbaU

All this will happen if we cut $82 billion in "growth" not real cuts, out of a $1 trillion budget.   If we can't do this, it is beyond sad and we are in worse trouble than we know.   Oblamer keeps saying now is not the right time for cuts in spending ... so Archie ... when is the "right" time for democrats?   They have never found spending they did not like and hate the idea of cutting taxes and smaller government.   We need more personal responsibility and stop this thinking that government is there to take care of you.  

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   I say let it happen
Date:   2/20/2013 12:46:44 PM

Look, we have an almost $4 trillion budget with over $1.3 trillion in deficits and the sequester only cuts $120 billion. That represents a measly, paltry 3% cut in the budget.  I say let it happen and when the sky doesn't fall all these idiots in D.C. will be seen as the Chicken Little's that they are.  

Obama is a bald faced liar about the impact of sequestration and they need to call his bluff.  And I would love to tell him that to his face if I had the chance. He is a liar.

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Subject:   A liar???
Date:   2/20/2013 1:26:54 PM

He does not lie, he just speaks factually inaccurate statements.  In his defense, he is reading them from his teleprompters, so they have to be true....

Name:   Buteye - Email Member
Subject:   I say let it happen
Date:   2/20/2013 2:04:44 PM

I fully agree with your evaluation of the sequester as well as the summation of the words spoken by Obama. Every word he speaks is an exaggeration 1000 times plus. Just listening to his explanation of what will happen if sequestation occurs would make one think the world is coming to an end by March 1st.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Pentagon weighs in with more lies
Date:   2/20/2013 2:32:39 PM

So now the Pentagon is claiming they will furlough 800,000 civilian employees.  So lets do the math so you can see why they are lying through their teeth.  Lets assume those 800,000 civilian employees make an average of $75,000 each, which is probably low.  That equals a total annual salary cost of $60 billion which is way more than the cuts, which by the way only amount to 4% of the total defense budget.

But this does create exactly the optics that Obama wants and the govt media will dutifully go right along and the low-information voter that gets their news from the likes of CNN and PBS will fall for it hook, line and sinker.  Such is the state of our electorate and out govt school education system.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Subject:   Pentagon weighs in with more lies
Date:   2/20/2013 2:43:52 PM

My contacts with the Navy in Charleston tell me that they will be forced to take every Friday off, without pay, from March through September. And I believe that may be DoD-wide. Thus, you might say that 800k workers will be furloghed...sort of.

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   Bonjour
Date:   2/20/2013 3:27:11 PM

A tribute to one of my favorite commercials....lol

Subject:   Without pay??
Date:   2/20/2013 3:34:52 PM

I doubt it.  They will each and every one use one of the many personal, vacation, comp, or sick days and not miss a penny in compensation.  BooHoo.  So at the end of their career they have to work an extra week or so instead of leaving the job months or even years before the actual retirement date in order to use all the excess time they accrued.

The optics are what really ticks me off.  Every time 'cut' is mentioned it is to a backdrop of cops, fire, and/or teachers that will loose their job.  BS!  That is strictly to play the fear factor.  Unfortunately it works.

Subject:   Great idea
Date:   2/20/2013 3:39:37 PM

If I were forced to take every Friday off from 1 march through 27 September, I would have plenty of vacation time left to pad some of those three-day weekends a bit more and still have reserves.  Lake Martin here I come. :-)

Date:   2/20/2013 3:39:53 PM (updated 2/20/2013 3:51:10 PM)

From a Fox News article: "Pentagon officials have said the furloughs would be structured so that nearly all 800,000 workers lose one day of work per week for 22 weeks, probably starting in late April. That means they would lose 20 percent of their pay over that period. Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/20/pentagon-notifies-congress-likely-civilian-furloughs-over-budget-cuts/#ixzz2LTRM15iF" Now I won't comment on how badly that might hurt the DoD, especially since there are very definitely pockets of underemployed people and a culture of kid glove treatment of a lot of Civil Servants. I will say what I have said before: There are many, many hard-working Civil Servants who put in as much time and effort at their jobs as do their non-government counterparts. But there is also a tremendous amount of savings that could be realized if they were to replace the current work ethic of a lot of them with one where they are truly rewarded based on their contributions to the mission. One example that has bothered me for a long time with the organization I support, and that is their egregious overindulgence in training. That has come to a stop in the last couple months because of the budget crunch, but for years I coninually had trouble finding someone to work with because they always were in training of one sort or another, and rarely did they need it in their job. And for our silent friend Tallulahhound, please note that I didn't accuse ALL govies of being slackers, instead remarking that there are a lot of dedicated, hard working ones as well.

Subject:   Got that right
Date:   2/20/2013 3:41:04 PM

Talk about the perfect girlfriend...

Date:   2/20/2013 3:44:16 PM

I understand that is the propaganda, but I also know how it really works.  If they told us that they wouldn't loose any pay, why would we feel sorry for them and hate the nasty, mean and crazy republicans?

Date:   2/20/2013 3:52:26 PM

True, but would you like the 20% pay cut that went along with the short work week?

Date:   2/20/2013 3:56:09 PM (updated 2/20/2013 4:07:32 PM)

No Lifer, this is real. No gimmicks, a 20% pay reduction. Now mind you it may also be a ploy to emphasize that real people will really be hurt, but if sequester goes through they will lose 20 % of their pay. Really.

Date:   2/20/2013 4:11:01 PM

If I had to - yes, unlike the Government, my wife and I do not overextend our budget, and have enough M1/M2 to cover any shortfalls.  Of course, it would not be a 20% cut, because of tax savings...

Date:   2/20/2013 4:27:03 PM

I can't argue the point with you.  Obviously you are much better sourced than I am on the subject.  Its just that it has never been that way before, even during Clinton's famous 'shutdown'.  If it is so, Then maybe that will be the impetus for a revolt!!  Its time to drain the swamp to quote piglosi, only for real this time.

Name:   dobrew - Email Member
Subject:   Classified
Date:   2/20/2013 4:43:14 PM

Please watch this and see if you think American citizens are the subject!! Very scary!!

Name:   h_hob - Email Member
Date:   2/20/2013 5:12:43 PM

You could cut the pentagon civilian personell and just scratch the surface on getting rid of the worthless ones like the hound.  Most of them are coniving cheating people just like her.

Date:   2/20/2013 5:46:33 PM

Just spoke with my govie friend and he confirmed it, and gave a timeline of 22 March notification of the furlough, and 22 April start, for a total of 22 weeks furlough. Now that is the Navy in Charleston, but I believe it is also the entire Navy and the entire DoD - civilian workforce, not uniformed active duty military.

Date:   2/20/2013 5:47:51 PM

Hob, unless you know Hound personally I've got to throw the BS flag on your post. I've met Hound in person, have you?

Date:   2/20/2013 6:25:42 PM

I just caught your BS flag and am throwing it back to you.  Removing posts that say something criticizing her when she was a moderator says something about her integrity.  Would you have put up with that type action when you were in the military?  How closely would you watch that type person from that point forward?  I have found too many civilians from the pentagon that are closely associated with that type action in one form or another.  I can also see why she was such an ardent supporter of the present administration from her actions here.

Date:   2/20/2013 7:19:46 PM

Flag not accepted. I make no excuses for her removing a negative post(s). As well as I remember things were pretty hot on the forum when that happened, and yes, she abused a privilege she had been given. To draw the conclusion that she is a "coniving cheating" person based on that one incident is a bit of a stretch. I have detected over many posts the same prejudice in you toward DoD civilians that I did in her toward active duty military. Personally I have witnessed worthless civilians AND worthless active duty military just as I have witnessed outstanding civilians and outstanding military. Go ahead and keep your opinion about Hound. I remain skeptical that she is really that bad a person. And it is also a bit of a stretch to compare the integrity expected from active duty military to the integrity expected on something like this forum. I don't excuse her for what she did, but don't think, absent any other verifiable incidents, it deserves a "coniving cheater" damnation.

Date:   2/20/2013 7:51:53 PM

I can agree to disagree on this particular subject.  I harbor no hard feelings for you and you opinion on this particular subject.  Have a great evening.

Date:   2/20/2013 9:33:05 PM

You too. I strongly suspect we share an awful lot of views.

Subject:   Hound and her pup.
Date:   2/21/2013 8:58:57 AM

I hold hound in higher regard than her husband who also worked at DoD and loved to brag about it.  Going back into the dark ages of the Forum feb was constantly hawking his service in Vietnam and his career with DoD after his active duty.  He frequently whined that he only received 10% disability related to his 'wound', yet received full pay at DoD.  My arguments then, as now, are why would you receive any disability if you are 100% employed?

I Googled ol' feb up back then as he was quick to publish his personal info.  I got a few hits related to his work at DoD mostly relating to one published report that he bragged about.  But here is the point.  I scanned over one file from I think '95 but not sure of the date.  Then I looked at another from 2 years later with a different title.  They seemed to be very similar so I downloaded both and did a simple file compare using MS software.  The results were as I expected, a little over 95% exact match. Of course I asked him what he and his co-authors of the report did for the two years while they recycled the one paper.  Of course I got no answer.

I have no regard for either of them.  They both exhibited reprehensible behavior on the Forum, but so have I in the past (along with several others).  The difference is I take responsibility for mine. Once their actions were 'discovered' by the masses they packed up their toys and went home.  Dishonest hypocrites both!

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   [Message deleted by author]
Date:   2/21/2013 1:17:02 PM (updated 2/21/2013 1:19:40 PM)

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town