Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   cageytiger - Email Member
Subject:   Hybrid Hot Water Heater
Date:   5/28/2013 1:58:14 PM

My electric hot water heater has a leak and needs replacing.  The new hybrid hot water heaters have caught my attention.  I am looking at the GE GeoSpring model at Lowes.  They basically operate like a heat pump and can save over half on electricity usage every year. The initial cost is higher, but the payback can start after 2 or 3 years.  An added benefit is that the heat pump will slightly cool and dehumidify the air near the water heater.  Has anyone had any experience with a hybrid water heater?

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   My question is....
Date:   5/28/2013 4:01:53 PM

... if you have hot water, why do you need a heater?  A 'hot water heater' seems rather useless to me, hybrid or standard.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Subject:   My question is....
Date:   5/28/2013 4:32:06 PM (updated 5/28/2013 4:35:39 PM)

If it is liquid it is hotter than if it is solid. If it is solid it won't flow into the heater (but yet in its solid state it is still water). Therefore, if the water is flowing (not solid) into the heater it is "hot" and thus the result out of a hot water heater is hotter water. It is all a matter of perspective.

Name:   Maddog - Email Member
Date:   5/28/2013 5:17:25 PM

I bought the GE model about 3 months ago and we're warming up to it. I feel like it will save us quite a bit of money once we move over to the lake fulltime in a couple of years. We're only here on weekends right now and can not tell the difference in our electrical bill. I think it is worth the extra money you pay for it up front.for this unit as compared to a standard water heater. It has alot of features that a standard does not have.

Name:   Summer Place - Email Member
Date:   5/28/2013 6:07:24 PM

Just to put my two cents in, I have a Geothermal heating and cooling system which has what they call a desuperheater. In the summer I turn off my hot water tank and my geothermal system makes all the hot water i can use. My total power bill averages less than $100 a month on a 1800 sq ft house. I hope this helps in some way.

Name:   Jester - Email Member
Date:   5/28/2013 8:00:15 PM

I am intrigued with the Tankless water heaters. My water heater was replaced two years ago but the next time I am going to fully research these.  Anyone have any experience with the Tankless?

Name:   Ulysses E. McGill - Email Member
Date:   5/28/2013 8:58:48 PM (updated 5/28/2013 8:59:13 PM)

We went with Rinnai natural gas tankless system in our GA house about 5 years ago and my parents installed the same system (with propane) here at the lake. The only reason I haven't installed the system at my lake house is because I don't have a propane tank. When the 2 electric water heaters I currently have fail, I will probably go tankless and get a propane tank.  The system works extremely well and we love it. Unlimited hot water (as long as you have gas). We've had 3 people in the shower (not the same one) with no problems. Since you never store hot water, it also helps a good deal with energy consumption...... unless you have a kid that thinks it's a license to enjoy 45 minute showers.

Name:   crappyattitude - Email Member
Subject:   Cageytiger.....
Date:   5/29/2013 7:54:53 AM

The biggest question to me is, are you full time or partime? If you are fulltime at the lake, then it would be well worth it. If you are partime, it would probably not pay for itsself.

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)

Name:   DirtDiva - Email Member
Date:   5/29/2013 9:53:24 AM

We had a small cabin that had a 30 gallon hot water tank that went out several years ago.  Installed the electric Rinnai tankless system. Did not have access to gas or propane.  LOVED it!  We would have 12-15 teenagers there at a time and never had any issues with lack of hot water.  Electric bill actually decreased. 

It will be an option we will look at seriously when we build the retirement home.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   5/29/2013 10:23:22 AM (updated 5/29/2013 10:25:34 AM)

Did you have to significantly upgrade your electric service? I read that they need a dedicated 160 amp or so service....our whole cabin service is only 200 amps. If you did upgrade, how did they do it?

Name:   DirtDiva - Email Member
Date:   5/29/2013 10:03:13 PM

The unit did require its own breaker.  We had just enough amp to install one.  I don't remember (and neither does the Trophy Husband) what amp the cabin had and what the unit needed. I know we used an electrician to set it all up.   Sorry - not much help in that matter.

Name:   cageytiger - Email Member
Date:   5/29/2013 11:42:48 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input.  Apologies to Lifer for the redundancy on "hot" water heater.  I talked with an energy consultant at Alabama Power today who has 2 of the GE Hybrid Water Heaters in his home, He has one for his guest rooms so it is used similarly to what we would use at the lake on a part-time basis.  He saves $45 a month on his power bill and feels we would benefit even with part-time use, so I purchased the GE Hybrid Water Heater. It will not require any more power than the previous water heater, so our electric service should be fine.  Most of the reviews I have read on these units are very positive. 

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town