Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   waterph - Email Member
Subject:   Obamacare, Democratic Perspective
Date:   11/9/2013 2:11:47 PM

From one of my Democrat friends. The republicans are all tore up about a million or so who may have to get a different (but better) insurance policy but neglect the other 46 million who are uninsured and could be helped by the Affordable Care Act. Key Facts about the Uninsured Population Sep 26, 2013 http://kff.org/uninsured/fact-sheet/key-facts-about-the-uninsured-population/ Over 47 million nonelderly Americans were uninsured in 2012. Decreasing the number of uninsured is a key goal of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which will provide Medicaid or subsidized coverage to qualifying individuals with incomes up to 400% of poverty beginning in 2014. This brief answers some basic questions about the uninsured, including why people are uninsured, trends in the uninsured, who the uninsured are, access and financial implications of not having coverage, and the likely impact of the ACA on Medicaid and the uninsured. Summary: Key Facts about the Uninsured Population Why are so many Americans uninsured? The high cost of insurance is the main reason why people go without coverage. Many people do not have access to coverage through a job, and gaps in eligibility for public coverage leave many without an affordable option. What has been happening to the uninsured over time? The trend in the uninsured tracks economic conditions, with the number of uninsured people increasing during recessionary periods when people lose their jobs. Public programs fill in some of the loss of coverage, but many adults are currently ineligible. In recent years, as the economy has stabilized, coverage losses have slowed. Who are the uninsured? The majority of the uninsured are in low-income working families. Reflecting the more limited availability of public coverage, adults are more likely to be uninsured than children. People of color are at higher risk of being uninsured than non-Hispanic Whites. How does the lack of insurance affect access to health care? People without insurance coverage have worse access to care than people who are insured. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that the uninsured are less likely than those with insurance to receive preventive care and services for major health conditions and chronic diseases. What are the financial implications of lack of coverage? The uninsured often face unaffordable medical bills when they do seek care. These bills can quickly translate into medical debt since most of the uninsured have low or moderate incomes and have little, if any, savings. What are the implications of the ACA for the uninsured? The ACA has the potential to expand coverage to millions of currently uninsured people through the expansion of Medicaid eligibility and establishment of Health Insurance Marketplaces in 2014. The ACA also includes reforms to help people maintain coverage and make private insurance affordable and accessible. State decisions about whether to implement the Medicaid expansion will impact the scope of coverage changes under the law.

Name:   h_hob - Email Member
Subject:   Obamacare, Democratic Perspective
Date:   11/9/2013 2:16:51 PM

What this really means, "I don't see any possible raises in taxes being passed by congress so we will invent the ACA to fill in the gap so the welfare warriors will be able to keep having free medical."

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Emotion overwhelming facts and logic
Date:   11/9/2013 4:16:10 PM

This is so typical of the leftist mindset. What is important is not what a law like Obamacare actually does, it is what someone hopes it might do and their so-called good intentions. The sad reality is that like the trillions wasted on anti poverty programs, welfare, food stamps and other similar feel good initiatives it will not work. And in the meantime millions will be greatly harmed, billions or trillions will be wasted and it will all be followed by calls for more regulation, more laws and more spending as if the original regulations, laws and spending just weren't enough instead of the reality that they just don't work, they have never worked and they will never work. This little piece of scat is exactly why I have such low regard for liberals, progressives or whatever they end up calling themselves next......they simply believe so much that just isn't true........invincible ignorance wallowing in mindless emotion on parade.

Name:   wix - Email Member
Subject:   waterph=Smith Lake water testing,
Date:   11/9/2013 5:41:50 PM

tree hugging, liberal....right?  Now, how many of your underpaid, union loving, welfare loving demokrap friends have you seen die on the street for need of healthcare?  None, and I haven't heard of such in Alabama, which I think is still part of o-BAMA's USA.  Your rant is all about appealing to the softies for sympathy towards your friends, the demorat lazy, useless class.  The millions who are "uninsured" choose to live that way because they know they can show up at an ER at midnight, 9 months pregnant, OD'd on drugs, or whatever, and get good old American care for FREE.  So exactly what is your point.  Healthcare will go in the toilet for everyone in just a few months or years, and I hope you live long enough to painfully experience it first hand.

Date:   11/10/2013 8:14:34 AM

First of all, there is not any part of me that supports the AHAct. I shared this because this is how some of my friends who are good people think. Get off your high horse! Your wrath is showing and it makes you look silly.

Date:   11/10/2013 8:25:45 AM

One more thing. I totally dislike this present administration and the things done since 2008 that have hurt this country. But, I would also be opposed to any other group of Republicans that supported him in the past. Do you think that zero conservatives or Republicans voted for Obama. Maybe you did and feel angry with yourself. Could you be an Obama supporter in disguise!

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Wix just misunderstood the post
Date:   11/10/2013 8:34:01 AM

It wasn't clear at first whether you posted it just to show what Dems were saying or you were a fellow traveler. And I can assure you Wix didn't vote for TOTUS......we leave that I'll repute to the likes of GF, Archie and Coppertop, all of whom probably agree with every word in what you posted.......more's the pity.

Name:   wix - Email Member
Subject:   waterph
Date:   11/10/2013 9:13:36 AM

Post your own thoughts and avoid confusing simpletons like me! We all know that liberals aren't allowed to think.

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online