Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   Alington National Cemetary
Date:   4/2/2014 2:54:47 PM

We have just been notified that my uncle Cmdr Ray Coe U.S.N. Submariner Service (Ret) who passed away recently will be interred in Arlington National Cemetary this summer.  I consider this a great honor and plan to attend the service.  I have never visisted D.C and will take the occassion to do some sight seeing while there.  Any advice on how to make the most of a short time in D.C. will be greatly appreciated.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2014 2:59:33 PM (updated 4/2/2014 3:03:19 PM)

Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

How short?  The options are endless. You could spend a full week or more just going through the various Smithsonian Museums.  Also depends on your interests.  Be sure to carry a comfortable pair of walking shoes.

Name:   buzzbuster - Email Member
Subject:   Arlington National Cemetery
Date:   4/2/2014 11:28:01 PM

There are many sites to see but going through the Capital is a must in my opinion. DC is a very interesting place to visit and try to take in all you can. There is no way to see it all but planning your trip ahead of time on what you would like to see will get you ahead of the game. Try and find out the times the attractions you want to see and/or tours is a plus also. Good luck on your trip. I'm also sorry for your loss and thank him for his service.

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   4/3/2014 9:38:07 AM

While you are at Arlington, you will definitely want to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.   And just look out across Arlington Cemetery and see all those graves.  It really makes one stop and think. 

And you will not want to miss the Viet Nam Memorial.  Being down next to the wall is an incredibly moving experience. 

If you have the interest, the Holocaust museum is exceptional. 

Definitely visit the Capitol.  If you know when you'll be there, you may want to ask your representative to arrange a tour for you.  The building is just amazing. 

I assume your uncle will be getting a full military funeral?  That in and of itself is an incredible experience and well deserved by those who served our country. 

And of course there are the Smithsonian Museums.  People just love the Air and Space Museum, so if you have only time for one, make it that one, although all of them are excellent. 

As Hodja said, wear comfortable shoes.  The Metro is the best way to get around in the DC area - if you are on the escalator, make sure you keep to the right as the natives like to walk down the escalators on the left and can be quite rude if you are blocking their path... And expect it to be hot and humid if it is in the summer. 

Name:   Little Talisi - Email Member
Date:   4/4/2014 3:34:13 PM

First question is how many days will you be there? There are a couple of tours that we have enjoyed that will allow you to see number of places in a short time. First would be a Segway monument tour. Second would be one of the open air trolley's that go everywhere. Private message me and we could give you particulars. Just remember one thing, your visit will only wet your appetite to see more and to go again.

Date:   4/4/2014 5:01:25 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I was pretty much aware of what you guys passed on that others , (family and freinds) have told me, and of course a lifetime of watching TV and reading.  I was glad to see talasi mention the Segway tours.  I was pretty sure they were available but wasn't positive and I didn't know about the trolly cars at all.

The downside is as this point we still have no clue as to when internmint will accur.  Not even sure how much notice we will be given so it is hard to make an agenda.  Thats the biggest reason I made the post hoping I would get some good suggestions for maybe some off the beatten path sites and/or tours.  As for lenght of the trip that will also depened on date of internment.  I figure a long weekend up to 5-7 days.  One thing I know for certain is that I will see the changing of the guard at Tomb of the Unkown Soldier and of cousre just the full millitary burial will be an honor to be a part of.

Name:   Colonel P - Email Member
Date:   4/10/2014 2:18:16 PM

Lifer....I am a retired AF Colonel working here at the Pentagon with a condo on Lake Martin. The condo we have here in DC is right next to the Pentagon in Crystal City.  My wife and I intend to move back to the lake permanently sometime in May/Jun 14.  Until then, I'll be here living in DC while she's gettings things straight at the lake.  Also, we just interred my sister in Arlington last month.  Living here, I'm familiar with all the tours, restaurants, sites etc and, most importantly, Arlington.  If I can be of assistance (before Jun 14), please let me know.  Would be more than happy to show you around this great city.  My phone is 334-233-9852...Cheers, Colonel P

Date:   4/10/2014 4:02:47 PM

Thank you sir.  You have mail.

Name:   Kmyt - Email Member
Date:   4/16/2014 9:22:16 AM

One of my friends from high school is a Navy Arlington Lady.  A Lady attends every funeral.  I'll forward your uncle's name to her.  I don't know if she could request his service or not.  Sorry for your family's loss.  

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town