Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   The economic disaster continues
Date:   5/1/2014 9:49:45 AM

Here we are now into the 6th year of the non-recovery so called recovery and the news just stays bad.  Frankly the only reason the stock market stays strong is that with the weak economy there is no way the Fed can totally ease up on their bond purchases.  GDP growth in Q1 was non-existent.  We have seen the largest increase in health care costs in the last decade.  Jobless claims continue their rise with last week's 344,000 being a two month high. Over 90 milloin Americans are no longer in the labor pool which is the highest since the peanut farmer was President.  Home sales are slowing as interest rates trend upward.  I could go on and on but the gist of this post is to point out that this was all predicted because we get this every time we experiment with big government, increase taxes, add business killing regulation and all the other left wing nut ideas that are at the forefront of a failed ideology that has never worked and will never work.

And if anyone thinks this will change with Billary in the White House let me disabuse you of that notion.  She will be as bad or worse than TOTUS when it comes to domestic policy.  In the past I would have thought she would be better than him on foreign policy but now I am convinced that she will be as bad if not worse there, if that is even possible.  I can completely understand why the left wing nut apologists for SelfieOTUS have gone silent.

Name:   architect - Email Member
Subject:   Humm
Date:   5/2/2014 10:14:12 AM (updated 5/2/2014 10:20:41 AM)

288,000....I'll hold my breath while MM makes lemons out of lemonade.

Name:   Council Rock Doc - Email Member
Date:   5/2/2014 11:19:53 AM

I am certainly no financial analyst or economist, but I do believe I have a hint of common sense Archi.  For the life of me, why do I find it incredulous that the the first quarter GDP sits at a almost nil 0.1% and that smart CEO's and CFO's are out hiring like gangbusters in anticipation of warmer weather? I know I am not. Nor has my area seen a sudden uptick in economic optimism.  The work force last quarter lost 800K individuals with jobs or who stopped looking which many economists say if the real reason for the unemployment rate drop to 6.3%  Just think, if we keep losing 800K jobs including those people who have given up looking per quarter, we may get the unemployment rate down to around 3% just in time for the midterms! Keep telling yourself that you are better off and play fast and loose with your disposable income because the Bureau of Labor tells you that we are just around the corner from economic nirvana: I say that is very dangerous behaviour and it sure would suck to be a low information voter who just absorbs whatever he is told in the media without doing a little research him or herself.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   5/2/2014 12:55:40 PM

Archie is the king of the drive-by post.  Almost always gets shot down because he cherry-picks numbers to suit his failed agenda and is always called on it.

Name:   architect - Email Member
Subject:   Here's a dose of commom sense
Date:   5/2/2014 1:17:17 PM (updated 5/2/2014 1:18:34 PM)

900,000 people who weren't picking up a paycheck on Jan 1 2014 are picking up a paycheck on May 1 2014.  I know the few nuts still hanging on this steadly diminishing forum are, at best, disappointed and at worst think the "books are being cooked".  That's this forum's problem, not the nation's

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Date:   5/2/2014 1:41:23 PM

"None so blind as those that will not see"; huh Doc?

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   BTW Archie
Date:   5/2/2014 1:55:11 PM

I noticed the same crap about the forum dying over on the joke site, which is where you belong.  You have no idea how many folks read the forum daily.  For that matter neither do I, but I know it must be a profiatable amount for Bruce because it is still here after 15+ years.  I imagine he gives those numbers to current and prospective advertisers but not even sure of that.  What I am sure of is it seems to always work well for any of the paying sponsors, if not they woudn't still be paying.  The few I know have nothting but praise for the ROI of ad space here.  I personally know at least a dozen folks that lurk on the forum almost daily but rarely, if ever, make a post. So drive on by anytime, always good to see you, but don't disparage what you simply don't like, which is opposing opinion.

Subject:   Thanks for the drive by Archie
Date:   5/2/2014 2:12:12 PM

I knew you still follow me slavishly but it's been months since there's been a shred of remotely decent news. So 100,000 more file for jobless claims than get a job and you are celebrating?!?!?!?  And of course none of the other devastatingly bad economic news means anything.  Why do you have such low expectations for our President Archie?  What is it about him that you, GF and the others are wiling to let him get away with the worst economic recovery since FDR screwed things up and turned a depression into our Great Depression?  I think I know but would love to hear you admit it.  You just don't hold this president to the same standard as the white guys do you?

Name:   Council Rock Doc - Email Member
Subject:   Here's a dose of commom sense
Date:   5/2/2014 2:45:37 PM

Common sense relys on the facts Archi.  768000 jobs were added this past quarter, 113k 175k 192k and 288k for Jan, Feb, March, and April respectively from the BLS.  Just this past month 806,000 left the civilian work force, and don't tell me they were early retirees.  So the number which would appear to be the important number that one would pay attention to is the NET.  The labor participation rate fell as well .4%, meaning less people who want to work can find jobs.  There still is roughly 3 individuals looking for work for each job opening, translated that if all available jobs were filled by those currently unemployed, two of every 3 would STILL be unemployed.  I know there are individuals that peruse this forum that don't read beyond the AP or UPI headlines, so it is important that we on opposite sides of the issue exercise due dilligence and intelligently decipher these stats for them.  Thanks for giving us the opportunity to highlight our differences.

BTW, this BLS report is only an estimate.  If you want to see real stats that are even more alarming, look at the JOLTS report, based on actual economic numbers.

Subject:   Economic illiteracy on parade
Date:   5/2/2014 2:47:04 PM

Archie, you do realize that with population growth, since Jan 1 about 700,000 new jobs needed to be added just to keep pace with population growth?  You do realize that at this point in Reagan's presidency we were adding over 500,000 jobs per month?  You do realize that 800,000 people gave up hope of finding a job in April?  You do realize that weekly jobless claims since Jan 1 has been around or over 300,000, right?  You do realize that the labor participation rate is the lowest in over 30 years, right?  

Archie, I really do pity you at times given the facts, logic and reason that demonstrate just how TOTUS has been an abysmal failure on domestic issues and his one and only so called legislative accomplishment is a complete train wreck that is detested by a majority of Americans.  And that doesn't even touch his abject failures on foreign affairs, Fast and Furious, IRS, NSA, and worst of all, Benghazi.  The question is what did the president know and when did he know it?  Or better yet, what did Billary know and when did she start lying after she sent those four Americans to their death?

Name:   Shortbus - Email Member
Subject:   BTW Archie
Date:   5/2/2014 9:30:31 PM

The most important speech to protect is unpopular speech.

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online