Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Sebago Lake Photo Gallery

Name:   Crimson4Lif - Email Member
Subject:   Calling Capt. Brooks.....
Date:   7/1/2014 10:30:25 AM

Any chance I could provide some boaters certificate information and you help speed up the mail out of the actual certificate of completion?  I have a 14 year old girl who is just dying to get that license in hand.  Paper says 2 - 3 weeks....sure would be nice if someone in higher places could put a word in to speed it up.  Thanks for any consideration...

Keith

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   7/1/2014 10:37:16 AM

Hey Crimson, you better hope that Capt Brooks is not a Tiger fan...............Jus sayin!

Name:   jhau - Email Member
Date:   7/1/2014 1:28:35 PM

My son is in the same boat. He completed the boat-ed course and I was under the impression we could print out the certificate and go get his license. Unfortunately, we can only print out a 'proof of home study' voucher and have to wait for the certificate by mail. Can we just keep this voucher on the boat until we get the certificate? Can he still operate the vessel with a licensed operator on board? Thanks in advance for the help...

Jay

Name:   Crimson4Lif - Email Member
Date:   7/1/2014 6:16:59 PM

I think Brooks posted an article a week or so ago about that rule. that is why I was asking for a little help and speeding up the process. In today's paperless world that is one rule I just do not understand.

And for the au/bama thought he seems nice and straight up.  Think he is one our team. 

Name:   Capt M Brooks - Email Member
Date:   7/1/2014 6:50:11 PM

I will always try to help anyone when I can, but there are some times when there is little I can do. The processing of all online and in-person boating class paperwork is done through our Montgomery office, and this is probably their busiest time of the year. About all I can do is suggest you call them and ask them if it's possible to expedite the process. The number there is 800-272-7930 and you will want the Operator Licensing Section.

The online courses are offered by approved private companies, and one of the reasons for the 2-3 week turn-around is that we have to receive the proper paperwork from them first before our staff can complete the process.

Date:   7/1/2014 6:53:44 PM

Jay, he will have to wait until he can complete the process and have the actual V endorsement on his license in order to operate a vessel. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's what the law requires. I hope you guys have a safe and happy 4th.

Name:   2DLAKE - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 12:30:20 AM

You could always go to the local license office and take the boating test again. Costs $5 plus license fee and you walk out with it. 

Name:   jhau - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 8:14:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Capt. Brooks...not what I wanted to hear and definitely not what my son wants to hear! Here's to a safe 4th on beautiful Lake Martin!

Name:   JTenn - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 8:24:01 AM

Some folks feel like they are just special.

Name:   Ulysses E. McGill - Email Member
Subject:   At least
Date:   7/2/2014 8:42:18 AM

these folks are trying to follow the law.  A few days ago I saw 2 kids on a jetski pulling a tube.....if any of the kids was older than 12, I'd be very surprised. If any one of them was 14 I'd be amazed, but I guess it's possible.

Name:   FlyFish - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 12:12:52 PM

So if they print out where they have successfully completed the test.  It will not surfice until they acutally have a V edorsement on an id from the state?

Name:   boataholic - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 12:18:34 PM

I see underage SeaDoo drivers all the time in the Parker Creek/Veazeys area.  The Marine Police are rarely seen in this area.

Name:   Little Talisi - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 12:48:33 PM

in our slough they wait until after dark to drive and pull wakeboarders!! Some of you just don't know how lucky you are! LOL!!!

Name:   JTenn - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 3:56:39 PM

Don't see the police in the Cooper Creek area either. A LOT of small kids on jet skis around here all the time.

Name:   jalcz - Email Member
Date:   7/2/2014 5:24:44 PM

There are a few violations that seem to have been given the unofficial "go right ahead" by the marine police. Most of these involve PWCs, whether it's towing a tube without an observer, underage operation of a PWC, and often both.

I know our local marine police do a great job under some incredible circumstances, so I'm not saying they should be expected to catch every violation that occurs. But it does seem like some violations are completely ignored, which is surprising given the number of times they occur in a given week.

As for me, I know it just means that I have to watch out for that SeaDoo driven by the 10-year-old kid looking back at his friend on a tube, because I know he's not watching anything else.

Date:   7/2/2014 5:39:16 PM

jalcz, we don't knowingly allow anyone to violate the law, period. For the record, though, our laws do not allow for an observer on a PWC while towing. In order to legally tow on a PWC, the PWC must be equipped with proper mirrors. And, in response to another post, the law also allows for towing of skiers, tubes, etc., from ONE HOUR BEFORE SUNRISE until ONE HOUR AFTER SUNSET.

All of the laws, rules and regulations that we enforce are available online, from the criminal statutes of Title 13 to the boating safety laws of Title 33.

Code of Alabama

Specific Boating Safety Laws, Rules & Regulations

Quick Links
Sebago Lake News
Sebago Lake Photos
Sebago Lake Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

Sebago.USLakes.info