Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Subject:   What About Netanyahu??
Date:   3/3/2015 9:34:31 PM

He pretty much said the Obama plan for negotiation with an openly agressive Iran is worthless diplomancy, either short term or ten years from now, because Iran does not feel bound by prior agreements. Never have yet in history.

He came to address the United States Congress, I believe, because he needs our support, financially/militarily/otherwise in the coming of yet another war in the Middle East. But, he made it Very clear that Israel was prepared to go it Alone, without help from this "friend". And you can bet your last dollar, that if provoked or in fear of their survival, nukes could be used against their enemies. Simply, if you will not help us, then, get out of our way.. "Never Again".

I admire the man, and hope at least some of our "leaders" in Washington develop the integrity of their office to take such a posture toward solving problems here.

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   3/3/2015 9:48:21 PM

Sorry, BiBi is up for re-election in Israel in two weeks.  His speech is nothing more than political theatre.  The truth is that Israel cannot go it alone, despite what they say.  They do not have the refueling tankers that they need to strike on their own.  They have been losing influence with this Administation and they are hoping to bring pressure to bear. It doesn't take any special insight to know that any treaty or agreement that we will sign with Iran will not have any real teeth if they don't abide by it.  They never do, because no country signs up to anything that ties their hands or severely limits their options.  Welcome to the wonderful world of diplomacy. 

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   3/3/2015 9:58:38 PM

Agree totally.  I think the most telling statement was that we are concerned with the security of our nation while he is concerned with the SURVIVAL (emphasis added) of his nation.  The Dems were all up in arms because he was "lecturing" the Congress.  Well, they danm well deserve the lecture.  I still maintain that Barack Obama never had to experience life on a grade school playground and thus did not learn that the pecking order is determined by power and not words.  His philosophy, played out on a typical grade school playground, would have ended up in him getting a good ole country boy a s s whooping.  And he obviously does not understand the importance of balance of power.  If he did, he would be greeting Netanyahu with open arms instead of insulting him.  What a freaking rube we have as our "president".

Date:   3/3/2015 10:07:39 PM

Ah, the cynicism of too much time inside the beltway.  Hound, remember it was Boehner who invited him.  As I recently said to hob, concentrate on the message and not the messenger.  I hate to say it but Barack Obama is no friend of the U.S.  He is only interested in his legacy and would rather broker a severely faulted deal that would hurt us in the long run than leave office without it.  Try not to overthink things.  I am convinced that is why Carter was such a failure and Reagan was so successful.  Adversaries respect power and the will to use it.  in the case of Israel if they are to survive they have no other choice, given the Obama farce.

Date:   3/3/2015 10:17:30 PM

I hope he is re-elected by a landslide. I just wish that the US could hatch such leaders to actually say what they mean, out in the open. And, do not be so sure that Israel cannot stand alone, at least in the short term. They might have a battle plan that you don't know about,, reckon?? And they have a history of Very short wars....

Date:   3/3/2015 10:38:08 PM

Even during the Bush administration the Israelis were whining about Iran  and no one was paying much attention.  If Iran wanted to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth, they would have done it already.  And sorry, but I don't like Israel mucking around in U.S. foreign policy.  Yes, Boehner invited him for political reasons and Bibi came for political reasons. 

Date:   3/3/2015 10:50:53 PM

You have to look at the military capabilities of Israel.  They can have all the battle plans in the world, but if they aren't equipped to carry them out, they are just paper.   I've been retired for a long time now, but the Israelis were whining about Iran back then to every U.S. Official they met.  They are obsessed with Iran.  Even back in the days of GWB, no one took all the whining seriously. 

I have no idea about the agreement we are wanting to enter into with Iran.  No idea if it is good or bad, but I am not a big fan of agreements as a means of military power.  They are strictly a means of diplomacy and foreign policy and generally aren't worth the paper they are written on (just my opinion) because they have no teeth. 

I'm not  into another President who feels the need to saber rattle in speeches. GWB created the "axis of evil" and all it did was prompt 3 countries into expediting their nuclear programs.   Our projection of power comes from what we do, not what we say.  I don't think there is any question about our military might or capabilities or our will to act.  I understand that you don't like Obama, but that doesn't mean his approach is wrong. It is just not to your liking. 

Date:   3/3/2015 10:58:17 PM

and what is your proof that he doesn't understand balance of power.  Talking does not give you balance of power.  And this Administration has shown a will to use military power.  It might not be to the extent that some, like John McCain, would like, but that is just a matter of opinion. 

I'm not defending the Administration, but while I find your sympathies with Israel touching, I don't share them.  Israel has used the shield of their "survivial" for every shin that they kick.  Have you ever had ocassion to work with Israel?  Have you ever been there? 

Date:   3/3/2015 11:00:35 PM

Not so sure under the current administration we have the "will to act".  Seems more like we have the will to retreat.

Date:   3/3/2015 11:10:40 PM

No, but that might not be a disadvantage as you would infer.  Certainly every country is going to aggressively pursue their interests.   And in the case of Israel it is in our national interest for them to be a counter to unbridled Islamic State (not ISIS) influence in the region.  Don't let your distaste for Israeli tactics color your macro assessment for what is good for the region.

Guten nacht, Iyi aksamlar, Bouno notte, good night!

Date:   3/3/2015 11:19:37 PM

I'll agree with you about that.  It's good they are there. 

Date:   3/4/2015 9:14:51 AM

I worked for an Israeli company for years and traveled in Israel as a result. Amazing how small, and bordered on three sides by hostile nations. Strong people, very strong. And, they understand balance of power in their region has never been sustained by negotiating with terrorist groups. They rail against Iran because Iran is feeding, equipping, training and supplying troops for terror. Now, throw a nuclear capability into the mix?? Perfect recipe for nuclear disaster in the Middle East.

Date:   3/4/2015 10:14:36 AM

Agree it is possible, but I don't see it happening. On the whole,  It is a an interesting country.  I found the people to be warm and friendly.  The military have some interesting stories to tell, but it bothers me the way they rationalize everything to their suvival.  I get their concern about terrorists. 

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town