Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Peace in our time - Neville Obama
Date:   10/1/2015 3:26:24 PM

Well we are seeing exactly what was predicted in the middle east with the vacuum left by the "brilliance" of Hillary, Obama and Kerry.  Nature abhors a vacuum, especially the one between the ears of those 3 imbeciles and their Arab spring, their fecklessness and their incompetence.  Russia and Iran will own the middle east before our duffus in chief heads off to his hate America world speech tour in January 2017.  All the isolationists may not care but you will when those two countries control much of the middle east oil and Iran has nukes.  Not only are we looking at all out war in that part of the world but also an arms race as other Arab countries seek nukes to protect themselves from Iran.

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   10/1/2015 6:17:37 PM

One opinion I read today is that Putin is just looking for a seat at the table when the future of Syria is decided, in order to restablish Russia as a major player.    Another opinion I read today, by a Brit, says that Putin intends to start a war in Europe and that NATO had better start arming itself to fend against the new Russian tank.  Still another opinion is that Putin is in Syria to take attention off of Ukraine.  Don't know if you saw the 60 Minutes interview with Putin last Sunday.  Right now there are a lot of opinions floating around as to what Putin is up to.  We'll add yours to the list.  I will be very surprised if you see the Arabs looking for a nuclear weapon.  Time will tell. 

Name:   Shortbus - Email Member
Date:   10/2/2015 8:27:04 AM

http://www.lasthour.com/GOG-MAGOG.htm

Date:   10/2/2015 9:18:22 AM

There are all sorts of potential reasons for this move by Putin but I think one clear signal is his desire to reestablish Russia as a world power.  Like all despots when they crave that distinction it always involves invasion of other countries.  We left a vacuum in the middle east and he and Iran are going to fill it.

As for the Arabs seeking nukes I cannot imagine they won't try.  Iran is not an Arab country, they are Persian.  And they want to dominate the middle east and once they have nukes there will be no stopping them unless these other countries like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc. can respond in kind.  They may do so through the U.S. (some sort of alignment like we have with NATO) or uniliaterally.  Either way they would be nuts to sit idly by and let Iran arm themselves with nukes.  Adn they are not nuts.......

Date:   10/4/2015 8:40:40 AM

I agree that Putin would like to establish Russia as a Superpower, and to ressurect at least some of the former Soviet Union.  The reason I asked if you had seen 60 Minutes last Sunday was when he started talking about the fall of the Soviet Union and Ukraine and Crimea, his intensity and body language radically changed.  Russia has a lot of economic problems right now, and this move into Syria may be nothing more than an attempt to divert attention from domestic problems.

You know, people predicted disaster when Pakistan and India became nuclear powers and everyone was sure they would start a nuclear war. Well, it has been some time and that hasn't happened. 

I often go back to Bush's "Axis of Evil" speech.  It doesn't suprise me that nations would pursue nuclear programs when the leader of the free world proclaims that they are part of an "axis of evil".   Playing the devil's advocate, why wouldn't Iran pursue a nuclear weapon when they have seen the U.S. sweep into their next door neighbor, Iraq; destroy it's leader and plunge the country into turmoil? 

You are right, Iranians are Persians, not Arabs.  I do not believe that Arab countries will pursue their own nuclear weapons.   Don't forget that most of these countries did not exist as countries until the fairly recent past.  The bigger fear on their part is the spread of radical Islam, as practiced in Iran, than the thought of a nuclear Iran; I think they would be far more likely to seek an agreement with Iran than to launch their own nuclear programs. 

As far as this "end of times".... people have been predicting end of times since almost the beginning of time.  The Bible is subject to interpretation of whomever is doing the interpreting.  Remember that Israel did not exist as a country until 1947. 

Date:   10/6/2015 12:48:19 PM

Not sure where the end of times comment comes from as I am definitely not one of those.  I am one that belives you know not the hour or  the day so always be prepared, and the most likely end of world comes when we take our eternal dirt nap.

I think the issue with Iran and the Arab countries is more complicated than just radical Islam.  No country does more to promote it than Saudi Arabia.  It's the Sunni-Shiite conflict and lots of other historical grievences that go well beyond the current country boundaries created mostly artificially by the Brits.  Great book that touches on this is The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright.   It should be required reading by anyone that wants to talk about radical Islam and I can assure you Hillary, Obama and Kerry have never read it.

Let's see what happens if by some miracle NATO declares a no-fly zone over Syria.  Many speculate that Putin will back down.  I am doubtful as he sees the lack of resolve of Obama and other NATO countries.

Date:   10/6/2015 2:43:13 PM

Saw a talking head on TV this morning that said we should not remove Assad.  He pointed out that everytime we do this, and install a government more to our liking, it dissolves into chaos. 

Obama stupidly drew lines in the sand and showed his hand, when there was no reason to do so.  Putin will not back down as long as he can make a case that he has international law on his side.  He has much to prove that he is still very much a superplayer. 

Date:   10/6/2015 5:15:06 PM

I totally agree that removing Assad with no plan to replace with something better and the will to stick it out.  As bad as Iraq ended up being it was made much worse when we left.

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online