169 messages
Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   Buteye - Email Member
Subject:   Chinas Economy
Date:   1/19/2016 12:09:03 PM (updated 1/19/2016 12:11:52 PM)

Chinas' economy grew at 6.9% for 2015, their slowest annual growth in 25 years. The growth in the United States is in the meager 2% range although Obama says our economy is booming. Stores are closing by the hundreds and companies are continuing to move offshore. Walmart is closing its stores in California because of the increase of the minimum wage to $15.00. General Electric is moving its headquarters from Connecticut to Massachusetts because of higher taxes. The stock market is at its worst beginning ever for the start of 2016. The Democratic presidential contenders want free college tuition, free healthcare, free daycare, $15.00 minimum wage, and many other freebies to numerous to mention. Obama touts the 5% rate of unemployment, but when you factor in the millions of people who are no longer counted in the labor market because they are no longer looking for jobs, the "real" unemployment rate is 12-13%. Wake up America!!!!!!!

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   1/19/2016 1:05:52 PM

The stock market is being driven by China's economic slow down and the free fall of the oil price, neither of which I think can be blamed on Obama. 

Walmart is closing stores in many places, not just California - including 9 here in Alabama, so I don't think you can blame that solely on the $15 minimum wage.  Yes, other companies are closing stores, but I suspect it has more to do with changing consumer patterns than anything else. 

Companies that left this country to take advantage of cheaper labor costs, are in some cases, coming back now that that labor costs are increasing in foreign countries.  Obviously, something needs to be done about the large companies from taking their headquarters off shore to avoid taxes. 

It's easy for people that don't understand ecomics to blame Democrats and this WH for what is happening.  But many of these things go in cycles.  While I am not personally in favor of the $15 miniumum wage, it seems that every time there has been an increase in miniumum wage, someone has been predicting doom and gloom and layoffs.  

Yes it is true that the unemployment numbers do not count those who have stopped looking for work, but there are a number of people that have gone on to create consultancies and other single person businesses.  While they may not be making the kinds of salaires they made working for a company, they are, in fact, earning a livng. 

Just like the Climate, these things come in cycles and people adapt.  And frankly, no matter what the outcome of upcoming elections, these cycles will continue.

Name:   lucky67 - Email Member
Date:   1/19/2016 4:19:24 PM

cant wait--this thread has potential to be a doozie !!!!!!  BUT--as i have said before--anyone who believes the economic #'s coming out of Washington --is crazy; as a former bond trader--we never trusted the #'s; we generated our own

Date:   1/19/2016 5:21:44 PM

I don't trust anyone's numbers.  Poll numbers, economic numbers - they are all subject to the bias of what you want them to show and the model used.  Best you can hope for is to detect a trend.

Date:   1/19/2016 6:45:37 PM (updated 1/19/2016 6:49:31 PM)

Click on the first entry by "Buteye", then click on "View Entire Thread", then scroll down the page until you see "Stock Market Crash of 2016", and then click on the arrow to pull up economist John Dale Davidson's input on this subject. You should see a brief discussion on this subject and then be directed to view a video. I watched this video a few days ago and found it to be very revealing about the state of our economy. The video is lengthy and discusses five significant topics he used to arrive at his conclusion. If you are interested, I suggest you allow time to watch the video until the end. You may not view this in the same context that I see it, and I welcome your thoughts. Hopefully Martiniman will chime in since I respect his knowledge from a business standpoint. This post was not intended to be solely intended for Tallulahound and hopefully anyone should feel free to join in.

Date:   1/19/2016 8:05:31 PM

Followed your directions and I can't seem to find it. 

Name:   lakngulf - Email Member
Date:   1/19/2016 8:07:54 PM

Agree.  No link found.  Try again.  I might actually take a look at it.

Date:   1/19/2016 8:53:41 PM (updated 1/19/2016 10:01:37 PM)

Talullahound and Lakngulf, sorry for the confusion. I just logged onto it again following my directions. I am not a computer whiz, but could it have anything to do with the server I am using. I log on using Mozilla Firefox. If it still will not work I will try to find another way to pull it up. At the bottom of the page look for "DOW to Drop 80% in 2016". I have now tried again and it didn't pull up this time. It looks like what comes up at the bottom of the page may rotate through various topics. Will still try to find another way to make it work. Thanks for your patience. After trying several more times I am convinced it only appears periodically. I am still trying to find a better way. If you are still with me this should work(www.thesovereigninvestor.com/exclusives/stocks-economy-on-verge-of-collapse/)

Name:   architect - Email Member
Date:   1/19/2016 9:58:22 PM (updated 1/19/2016 9:59:12 PM)

Sure, you can find nuts with an agenda who will advise you with their "opinion" that the DOW will drop 80% in 2016 ...you can find nuts with an agenda who will advise tou with their "opinion" that the DOW will go up 80% in 2016.  I will tell you in "fact" what the Dow will do in 2016...check with me on January 1, 2017!  Only a sucker will take any other advice!

Date:   1/19/2016 10:08:08 PM

Finally got the link that will go direct to the subject I surfaced. See my post just above your entry.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Could not agree more
Date:   1/19/2016 10:22:11 PM

You have these prognosticators who constantly predict a boom or a bust with the markets and when something finally happens that they predicted they run around spouting their prescience. However, I will beat your prediction on the market in 2016 because I can tell you with 100% certainty after the markets close on December 31st. ??  The markets are nearly impossible to predict because they thrive on emotion and computer models that have buy and sell triggers. By the time we retail saps figure out what's going on it's too late to profit in any big way. Buy solid performing stocks and ride it up and down and hope for 3-4% return after taxes over the long haul. Money you need should not be in stocks. 

Date:   1/20/2016 8:56:32 AM

Makes a good point for a balanced portfolio.    And if the market corrects, it's a good time to buy.

Date:   1/20/2016 1:34:23 PM

It's not like there are any other places to put your money and get a decent return.  Just as long as you don't need any time soon because the next 12-36 months are going to be a wild ride.

Date:   1/20/2016 3:42:19 PM (updated 1/20/2016 3:45:13 PM)

Tallulahound, didn't know if you saw the link above on the video by James Dale Davidson. While i fully understand your views and those of MartiniMan, i firmly believe the five key points discussed by him in his video are both logical and descriptive of the vulnerability of the present state of our economy. i fully understand that his bottom line is to entice people to subscribe to his newsletter, but i find his views to be well substantiated and scary. i think his discussion of our national debt gives reason to question if Obama's quest to attain the current level of debt is part of his plan to change America. With what we have witnessed over the last seven years, i believe anything is possible. Our national debt is increasing at the rate of $33,000 a second. i hope you, MartiniMan and others find the time to watch the video and share your thoughts. The link to the video is(www.thesovereigninvestor.com/electives/stocks-economy-on-verge-of-collapse/)

Date:   1/20/2016 4:34:43 PM

I'll watch it and my comment wasn't directed specifically to this individual.  It was a broader comment on the multitudes of emails I get, usually from someone trying to sell me their newsletter, about how everything that has happened they predicted, etc.  Using some basic logic, it seems to me that someone that has figured out how to predict economic markets could make way more money keeping their secret to themselves rather than trying to get me to pony up money for their insight.  Again, this is not directed specifically to this individual and your post.  I'll let you know what I think when I have time to watch it.

Date:   1/20/2016 5:40:04 PM (updated 1/20/2016 5:41:42 PM)

Thanks. I know my reaction and views on certain subjects may go a little overboard, but there is something about this video that makes me see strong possibilities for his predictions, maybe not at the moment but at some time in the future if our country continues on the path we are on. To think that our forefathers provided us with a document designed to maintain our country as a government of the people, for the people, and by the people is in itself remarkable. They were not only thinking of themselves at the time, but saw the need to produce a document that would provide future generations with a government that would protect our way of life. There is something in the "air" that is allowing changes that don't coincide with what the majority of the American people people believe in and support. I remain convinced that allowing Obama to continue issuing "Executive Orders" without challenging his authority in certain cases is a distant point from government of, for, and by the people. Instead it is government by "one" person. Remember, he told us that he was going to "fundamentally" change America.

Date:   1/21/2016 5:01:17 PM

I am being redundant, but here is the link to the video for the last time, I promise(www.thesovereigninvestor.com/exclusives/stocks-economy-on-verge-of-collapse/)

Date:   1/21/2016 6:21:06 PM

Okay, I watched it.  I'm not convinced.  And my question is this:  how many did he predict that never came to fruition.

Date:   1/21/2016 9:07:59 PM

I guess only time will tell. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts regarding his take on the National Debt. We can't just continue to pump biliions of dollars into the economy by printing more dollars(dollars that have been generated without any goods being produced to support the GNP.

Date:   1/22/2016 9:02:13 AM

With that I agree.  The debt needs to be reduced.  We need to get over ourselves that we are this great nation and therefore we MUST "fix" everything for everyone else.   We simply cannot afford it.  And printing more money is never the solution to anything. 

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online