Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Subject:   Scalia dead, Obama gets another
Date:   2/13/2016 5:43:37 PM

Appointment to the Supremes.  Unexpected.

Name:   lakngulf - Email Member
Date:   2/13/2016 6:19:29 PM (updated 2/13/2016 6:20:36 PM)

Can't they just drag it out and stall?  Also, do they ever hear any cases and make decisions when short a judge?

Name:   Buteye - Email Member
Date:   2/13/2016 9:01:18 PM

Just watched President Obama honoring Judge Scalia's dedicated service as a Justice of the Supreme Court. I thought he could have at least waited a few days to make known that he would nominate a successor to one of the most important offices in our govermnent.

Name:   architect - Email Member
Date:   2/13/2016 11:58:52 PM (updated 2/14/2016 12:11:43 AM)

Why?  Mitch McConnell certainly had no problem announcing almost immediately hours before Obama spoke that he would not permit a vote on a new appointment while Obama is President.  Obama is prepared to follow the constitution and do his job.  McConnel is determined to make sure the senate will not be permitted to do theirs.  Of course Mitch had no difficulty in voting for a Reagan appointment in the final months of the Reagan administration.  The longest vacancy period in Supreme Court history is 128 days, but the GOP has decided we will now at least triple that record!  Political hypocrisy is such fun!!

Date:   2/14/2016 8:30:49 AM

The longest time from appt to confirm is the 128 you mention.  Vacancies have lasted much, much longer.  In a time when perspective rife is at an all time high, expect an all time use of all political avenues.  Pres will appoint and use bully pulpit to "shame" those who have not bowed to his every word.  Candidates will have real life example to run on.  Senate will use its sorta "executive order" and move at snail's pace.  Yeah, that's what it is....McConnel (whom I cannot stand any better than Reid by the way) will issue executive order.  Pres and cronies will find an opening for a recess appointment.  Senate will try to figure a way they will not recess. 

Date:   2/14/2016 10:47:31 AM (updated 2/14/2016 10:57:28 AM)

Yep, politics as usual from both sides.  OK, lets say the Senate in the current session refuses to act on Obama's choice using McConnel's excuse that the election should be a referendum on the court.  The election happens and the Democrats are victorious big time...Hillary Clinton is president, the senate goes back into a democratic majority but McConnell still has more than enough votes to sustain a filabuster...in other words the people have spoken but they did not say what McConnell hoped...does he now put his politics where his mouth is and refrain from filabustering the nominee of the ex-president?  We both know the answer to that!

Because of the current disfunction both houses of the congress, I can see the possibility that this vacancy could last well past the congressional elections of 2018 regardless of what happens in November of 2016!

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Date:   2/14/2016 12:21:24 PM (updated 2/14/2016 12:21:46 PM)

Not going to happen.  Next President.

Date:   2/14/2016 12:27:23 PM

It's entirely within their constitutional right to delay for the next President.  Hey, it was the Dem's duty to pass a budget which they did not do for years.  Don't recall you being such a strict constructionist then.  Ye who live by the sword shall die by it. After years of subverting the constitution all of sudden left wing nuts become originalists.....what a bunch of flaming hypocrites.

Date:   2/14/2016 12:40:28 PM (updated 2/14/2016 12:41:29 PM)

Where did l say it was unconstititutional or even against the senate rules to delay a vote?  It is the Senate's constitutional responsibility to advise and consent, but there is no time limit on the advice and consent.  I simply posed a question...will Mc Connell be as in favor of the people having their say if what they say is not what he hopes.  Will he allow a vote if the democrats take the senate and WH in November?  l say again, we all no the answer to that!   This nation is fed up with political gridlock and hypocrisy by ALL sides!

Date:   2/14/2016 1:00:33 PM

If he is still Majority Leader, or whatever the guy who leads the party with most Senators is called, then the people have spoken.  No matter who is selected President, the people would have placed into the senate hands the ability, right and duty to make sure a reasonable person is confirmed.  I'm think maybe Bill Clinton, no wait he lost his license.

Date:   2/14/2016 3:00:36 PM (updated 2/14/2016 3:06:05 PM)

Do you realize that the current 54% majority in the Senate represent only 41% 0f the population
California with 35 million people has 2 senators and Wyoming with less tan 2% as many people also has 2.  Also remember only 1/3d of the senate will be elected in November.  Now, what was that you were saying about the senate being representative of the people of America? 

And, who dictates what is "reasonable" in a justice...Rush Limbaugh or Micheal Moore...Mitch McConnell if the GOP keeps the majority of Chuck Schumer if the Democrats win?  Frankly I would trust Obama over any of those guys!

Date:   2/14/2016 3:10:36 PM (updated 2/14/2016 3:11:19 PM)

Then there you have it. The voice of the people as established by the document that governs our land.  We have never been a government of popular vote.  And of the five you mention = none of the above.

Subject:   Voters will decide
Date:   2/14/2016 5:29:59 PM

The next president can nominate a replacement for Scalia.  Who knows, Democrats could control the Senate again after this cycle.  And if Trump wins he'll probably nominate his sister who is not averse to legislating from the bench.

Date:   2/14/2016 7:01:31 PM (updated 2/14/2016 7:04:24 PM)

I hope you are right but think it will be otherwise.  It really doesn't make any difference who wins either the White House or senate.  This congress is so beholden to the most extreme elements on both right and left and with neither side showing any willingness to compromise that it will be unlikely that whoever is elected president will get a nominee approved by the senate unless his or her party also captures 60 senate seats...a very unlikely event!

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   I Had A Dream
Date:   2/14/2016 9:41:44 PM

Let's see.....Hilda wins, Dems take conrol of Senate and President Hilda nominates a Constitutional scholar named Obama. She is indicted and the indictmet is thrown out by a 5-4 vote. Then, I woke up and realized he may not want an immediate appointment. So, she can delay it for 6 months so he can play some golf. 

Date:   2/15/2016 8:27:13 AM

Yeah, those beholden to the right wing gave us Sandra Day OConnor, John Roberts and Anthony Kennedy, all strict originalists <sarc off>.  I see a more likely outcome if the GOP is president we get another swing voter that flips and flops back and forth regardless of who controls the Senate.  If Hillary or Bernie win we'll get another legislator from the bench and gun rights, religious freedom and any limits on the power of the federal government will be out the window.  And if Trump wins I don't think anyone knows what will happen.  That ought to motivate the conservatives to make sure that doesn't happen but we are the stupid party as opposed to the evil party.

Subject:   How ironic
Date:   2/15/2016 2:41:03 PM (updated 2/15/2016 2:41:56 PM)

Probably the first person who would disagree Mitch McConnell's assessment that Obama should not even nominate a replacement for Justice Scalia in the final year of his term, is none other than the late "strict constructionist" Justice Antonine Scalia!

Subject:   How doubly ironic
Date:   2/15/2016 5:41:10 PM

No, irony is left wing nuts suddenly suddenly falling in love with the constitution and demanding the Senate do something, a document they loathe and a result they didnt care about for umpteen years when Harry Reid ran the place.  You live by the sword, you die by the sword.  

And the double irony is your sudden love of Scalia and his alleged opinions.  I say alleged because you are just assuming he would think something without any basis for that belief.  Where did he say that?

Subject:   Here's even more irony
Date:   2/15/2016 6:00:01 PM

Look up Senate Resolution 334 from 1960 which was passed by the Democrats.  Oh this is going to sting.......

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 6:17:34 PM

I caught that " giant leap of faith" as well.  Only the individual and our Creator truly know what someone intends or would do.

Date:   2/15/2016 6:23:16 PM

Oh, but that was over 50 years ago.....lol......I have seen more hypocrisy in the past 24 hours than Archie has claimed on this forum in the  past 24 months!

Date:   2/16/2016 9:23:18 AM

I think the one that made me almost vomit was Patrick "Leaky" Leahy holding up a Constitution as a prop.  What a buffoon.  On the GOP side it isn't hypocrisy, it is payback time for the Democrat's failure to uphold and defend the Constitution.  Besides, all the GOP has to do is keep shooting down nominees until his term ends.  Very Constitutional but also very obvious what they are doing.....as I said, the voters should decide who will pick the next SCOTUS associate justice.  

Having said that, it would not surprise me in the least if McConnell and the Senate go limp on this and we end up with a so-called moderate, which is code for they will vote in lockstep with the left wing justices.  That is the history of the modern Supreme Court.  All those nominated by a Dem president vote the same way on almost every case.  It's only the GOP nominated justices that swing with the wind ala Kennedy and Roberts.

Date:   2/16/2016 7:42:13 PM

What the Right overlooks is that the voters did elect Obama in 2012 and his job description includes nominating for the SC. The Right may not like that but the voters decided in 2012. in reverse, i am sure the Right would find all the reasons to nominate. Elect Hillary and she will nominate Obama....love to see the Right handle that.

Date:   2/16/2016 7:52:58 PM

What the Left overlooks is that the voters did elect in 2014 GOP control of Senate and its job description includes controlling the hearings/vote for the SC. They can approve 'em or "Bork 'Em".  The Left may not like that but the voters decided in 2014. in reverse, i am sure the Left would find all the reasons to stall . Elect Hillary and she will nominate Obama....GOP Senate would LOVE to handle that!

Date:   2/16/2016 7:54:22 PM

I am going to Panama for a wedding next week.  Maybe we will just stay.....

Date:   2/16/2016 8:51:21 PM

He can nominate Bullwinkle the Moose for all I care.  That is the end of his responsiblity.  The Senate conflirms....or not.  If they choose to either not confirm his choice or not even allow a vote the voters will decide whether that is an issue or not.  As for Billary nominating dear leader to SCOTUS, she won't because they hate each other and he wouldn't accept because he might have to actually work for a living.

Date:   2/16/2016 8:54:57 PM

That's the thing with left wing nuts, they live in a fantasy world and can't even recognize their own absurdities.  The only thing Archie would agree with Scalia about was a made up opinion of what he would say about his replacement.  If only that were the way the world works.  I could ascribe all sorts of beliefs to his false messiah.....none of which would be true......but hey, it might make me feel good for a bit until reality set in.  

Date:   2/16/2016 9:06:29 PM

Obama has previously said that he isn't interested in being appointed to the SC.  I suspect he wants to get out, write a book, make a bunch of money on the speaking circuit and then support his wife's candidacy for some office, a la, Hilary. 

Subject:   Panama Here I Come
Date:   2/16/2016 9:21:07 PM

Are you threatening us or just promising??? Enjoy your trip.

Date:   2/16/2016 9:54:54 PM

If I were to bail to another country it wouldn't register as much as noise on a radar.  But folks with real money may be contemplating such a move.  Unlike the French Revolution the gentry these days have options, and if they exercise those options in any significant number the country can't survive under the present model. Said differently, the wealthy leave and the not so wealthy have nobody to take money from.  End result: chaos, anarchy, and survival of the fittest.  That is when I break out the AR, Glock, and 12 gauge, because they will come to try to take what the few have left.  Dang, Panama or some other Latin American country doesn't sound so bad.

Date:   2/16/2016 10:27:03 PM

Problems with Panama - big bugs and horribly humid, that even the afternoon rain, doesn't cool. 

Date:   2/16/2016 11:51:06 PM

Probably right.  There are better options.  It will have to get a lot worse here before we would seriously consider such a move.

Date:   2/17/2016 7:40:24 AM

A record number of people renounced their U.S. citizenship last year to avoid taxes.  Combine that with all the left wing nuts fleeing to Canada and life is good.

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town