Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   Old Diver - Email Member
Subject:   New Judges
Date:   2/14/2016 10:09:44 AM

I feel so much better now that O'Bummer has installed Abdul Kallon to the 11th circuit and Carolin Walker-Diallo, who was sworn in on the "Holly Koran". This brings up an interesting question, since the Koran forbids the use of any other law except Sharia how can these judger follow our Constitution? Also since they were sworn in on the Koran, can they be impeached if they do not follow U S law?

Our Imperious Leader shames Vadkun Quisling. Hang on to your hats for the next few months. We are one Supreme Court Seat away from the destruction of the Constitution. God help our country!

As Teddy Roosevelt said, " A vote is like a rifle. It's usefullness depends upon the character of the user."

Name:   architect - Email Member
Subject:   Wow
Date:   2/14/2016 11:36:20 AM (updated 2/14/2016 11:37:09 AM)

This post makes Wix's typical rant look reasonable!  Keep diggin OD, keep diggin!

Name:   Shortbus - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 9:43:30 AM (updated 2/15/2016 9:45:20 AM)

Scalia died while staying at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a 30,000 acre luxury resort owned by Texas businessman and Democratic Party donor John Poindexter.

http://www.infowars.com/report-obama-told-of-scalias-death-hours-before-public-announcement/

she pronounced Scalia dead of natural causes without seeing the body and decided not to order an autopsy.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/02/urgent-calls-begin-for-scalia-autopsy/

Name:   Buteye - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 3:03:17 PM (updated 2/15/2016 3:07:43 PM)

Is it possible that Justice Scalia's death was not from "natural causes"? It is said that he was found with a pillow over his head. Has anything been said about his medical history?

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 4:41:00 PM

Scalia's personal physician said that he had been having health issues including heart issues.His family declined an autopsy.  He did not have a heart attack, so his death certificate says natural causes.  Every thing was done as required by Texas law.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 4:43:45 PM (updated 2/15/2016 4:45:17 PM)

The conspiracy theorists won't like that answer.  If someone were to off him, they wouldn't have waited this long.

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 5:14:44 PM

Please tell me how ANYBODY can declare he didn't have a heart attack without an autopsy? That just flies in the face of rational thinking. Was there foul play? I certainly can't say but neither can any of the principles involved and it offends me when anyone tries to claim otherwise.

Date:   2/15/2016 5:34:19 PM

I read somewhere that initially the cause of death was listed as myocardial infarction, but was revised to "natural causes".  Maybe "'cause" the family wanted to avoid the very impersonal assessment of all body parts during the autopsy, with the end result being a bunch of body parts sewed up within the body cavity rather than an intact body.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 5:45:46 PM

My take is that if someone went into the room and smothered him it seems pretty unlikely they left the pillow over his head unless they wanted someone to think it was foul play.  I go with Occams Razor on this.....he was old, he was overweight, he had health problems, he died in his sleep.  

Early task for our next President to nominate his replacement.  Until then the court will lean left or will deadlock on their opinions which brings up an interesting point.  Can they decide cases?  How does that work?

Date:   2/15/2016 6:07:21 PM

I agree MM but to claim a cause without even seeing a body defies credibility.

Date:   2/15/2016 6:09:13 PM

I agree they should do an autopsy but I also think that won't stop a lot of those seeing a conspiracy.  They will just lump the coroner in with the conspiracy.  For sure I would not want to be the one picked to do the autopsy.  Nothing but grief for sure.

Name:   lakngulf - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 6:11:44 PM

I heard that in case of a tie, the issue reverts back to the immediate preceding court opinion, but it does not become precedent.

Date:   2/15/2016 6:16:37 PM

No disrespect Hodja but do you know what happens when a body is imbalmed? For those that don't I will enlighten you. Blood is drained of course and replaced with imbalming fluid. An incision is made into the torso and a grinder is inserted and internal organs are ground to a mush and evacuated with suction. So although the body looks intact it really isn't. When I was in high school I had a brother in law that was a funeral director/mortician. I observed the process while considering it as a career choice. That was 40 years ago but I don't know of any changes to the process. If so maybe somebody here will enlighten us.

Date:   2/15/2016 6:33:41 PM

That is the first time i have heard that description, so went to google and this is what i found....maybe less severe than you description, but sobering nonetheless.

"For cavity embalming, a small incision is made near the bellybutton and a sharp surgical instrument used for drainage, called a trocar, is inserted into the body cavity. Using the trocar, organs in the chest cavity and abdomen are punctured and drained of gas and fluid contents and then replaced with formaldehyde-based chemical mixtures. The incision is closed, and at this point the body is fully embalmed."

The previous owner of the"remains" probably doesn't give a chit at that point, but funeral directors spare the family the details....lol?...

Date:   2/15/2016 7:12:05 PM

Why are there conspiracy theories?  This is the account I read.  His personal physician said that he had heart issues.  He went out hunting on Friday, attended a party, went up to his room early.  He was found in his PJs in bed, dead.  The ME spoke to the police officers, and based on their confirmation that he was dead, and no doubt looking at him, she determined he was dead.  There was an original cause of death as a heart attack, but was later changed to natuaral causes.  He was 79 and his family did not request an autopsy.  No doubt they were aware of his health issues.  We are all going to die sooner or later.

In case anyone is thinking there is no precedent for the President making an appointment in an election year, this is the Precedent.  Ronald Reagan appointed Justice Kennedy in an election year. 

Name:   au67 - Email Member
Date:   2/15/2016 7:13:05 PM

And that is why Jews do not embalm!

Date:   2/15/2016 7:47:10 PM

I am sure advancements have been made. Likebi said that was 40 years ago. The tool my BIL used looked like a modern hand held submersible mixer. Of course methods changed according to cuase of death. Here's another shocker for ya. When a body is cremated they burn the flesh till only bones remain and then grind the bones into the "ashes" that are left. I learned this a few years ago when my mom passed and we had her cremated. They gave us a tour of the facility and explained the process. Kinda gave me the heeby jeebies. I was glad they did it after mom was prepared cuz I think my sister that was with me would of had hard time dealing with it before. Like I said, kinda creepy. I forget how many hours they said it would take burn the bones but it was substantially more.

Date:   2/15/2016 7:49:28 PM

Appointed November 1987

Date:   2/15/2016 7:50:11 PM

TMI

Date:   2/15/2016 9:02:12 PM

Kinda hard to sprinkle intact bones into the breeze...nobody wants a pile of Grandma at their feet......groan.....

Subject:   79% of shortbusses have inquiring minds...........
Date:   2/15/2016 11:21:20 PM (updated 2/15/2016 11:31:16 PM)

http://www.infowars.com/poll-79-suspect-foul-play-in-death-of-antonin-scalia/

Lets look at Poindexter as suspect number one.
A.) Did he have the opportunity?..............YES
Poindexter not only had access to the Judges food and drink, but also to his room as he was the owner of said resort.
B.) Did he have a motive?.................YES
Poindexter was a major Donor to the Democratic National Committee. There is one problem with Donating to Political Parties and that is the opposition who refuses to take your money. A Constitutional Conservative Supreme Court Justice would be directly in the way of goals he would have wanted to reach and legislation he paid a lot of money to see passed.
C.) Did he have the opportunity to destroy the crime scene or evidence?.....................................YES
. He chose which Sheriff, Judge and medical examiner to contact and gave the eyewitness testimony to the authorities in which they used to piece together how he died. He was tasked by the Federal government with "locking down" the resort.

Obamas latest nomination..............................

The first Muslim woman judge — Carolyn Walker — was hand-picked by President Obama and sworn in as judge of the 7th Municipal District, Brooklyn, choosing to swear her oath of office holding the HOLY QURAN at the Brooklyn Boro Hall on December 10, 2015. It was a historic day! Oddly enough, there was almost no media coverage of this event . . . .

Since the Quran forbids all law but Sharia Law, isn't it reasonable to assume that Her Honor will head the first federally sanctioned SHARIA COURT.
Makes one proud, doesn’t it? "Gives me chills up my legs" said Chris Mathews.
Another little chink in the armor? A small, quiet erosion here and there. No one cares, until it's too late. Step by step by step....this is how American culture will end.

Rejoice All you Democrats and Obama supporters! Your dream of destroying America is coming true.

Subject:   It's an even worse example than that
Date:   2/16/2016 8:33:29 AM (updated 2/16/2016 9:17:01 AM)

That opening to the Supreme Court came long before Kennedy was appointed in November.  The opening occurred in June 1987 when Lewis Powell rerired.  Recall he was Reagan's third choice after Bork got borked and Ginsburg had to bail because of drug use.  But otherwise it was a really good point.....not!

Subject:   Fear Not
Date:   2/16/2016 9:48:07 AM

Apparently his top choice is the current Atty General Loretta Lynch. 

All of this talk about conspiracy on Scalia's death is ridiculous. He was a 79 year old man with a heart condition.  I can't believe anyone with half a brain would be latching onto some kind of conspiracy theory.  It's the Republican version of Hilary's vast right wing conspiracy. 

If you are very interested in the mortuary process, there are a number of books available for sale on Amazon, written by people in the business, that talk in detail about the process.  I don't intend to be embalmed....not because of the process, but I have never believed in funerals and wish to be cremated right away.  So if I die soon, there should be no conspiracy theories about MM or Lifer or even my DH doing me in. 

Subject:   It's an even worse example than that
Date:   2/16/2016 9:52:45 AM

But there are a half dozen others before Kennedy, by other Presidents.  Obama will make this appointment, but you shouldn't feel bad, given the age of a lot of the Supreme Court members - surely several others will die during the next Administration.  Obama is going to propose a black woman and it's going to be very hard for Republicans to block a black woman without seeming totally racist.  If Loretta Lynch does get it, some other black woman will.

Subject:   Fear Not - all we have to fear are lies
Date:   2/16/2016 10:51:24 AM

What does shortbus believe?

He knows he does not know.  And I know you don't know how Scalia died.

It seems that no medical expert looked at him before they blended his guts, erasing any evidence.

All deaths of this caliber should be treated as a homicide until proven otherwise by a medical expert.

In a related development, William O. Ritchie, former head of criminal investigations for D.C. police, wrote that he was “stunned that no autopsy was ordered for Justice Scalia”.

“How can the Marshal say, without a thorough post mortem, that he was not injected with an illegal substance that would simulate a heart attack,” asked Ritchie.

“Did the US Marshal check for petechial hemorrhage in his eyes or under his lips that would have suggested suffocation? Did the US Marshal smell his breath for any unusual odor that might suggest poisoning? My gut tells me there is something fishy going on in Texas.”

Subject:   That is historically incorrect
Date:   2/16/2016 5:09:46 PM

The only two successful nominations in the last year of a presidency were at the end of their first term and they lost their reelection bid.  That was 1912 and 1932 (Taft and Hoover both of whom lost their bids to stay in the WH).  All other examples are of first term presidents that won a second term.  Johnson tried in 1968 but was unsuccessful as he announced he would not run.  There have literally been no SCOTUS nominations that were confirmed by the President at the end of their second term. 

As I said, I have no doubt the Republicans running the Senate will fold like a house of cards on this issue but there is no historical precedent for them to do so.  The closest example is Johnson and his nominees were not confirmed.

Subject:   But you are changing the parameters
Date:   2/16/2016 6:04:52 PM

The question was a President proposing and a Congress confirming a Supreme Court Justice in an election year.  Now you are talking about 1st and 2nd terms, because that suits your views.

Subject:   No I'm not
Date:   2/16/2016 6:39:57 PM

We are talking about a President in his last year of office getting to choose someone for SCOTUS. You originally incorrectly stated that Reagan did.  If the subject of this entire thread changed I must have missed it.  But even election year nominations and confirmations is very rare. And final term nominations and confirmation are without precedent. 

Date:   2/16/2016 7:01:20 PM

You are narrowing the parameters.  We never said that it had to be in a President's second term - because there is no guarentee that a first term president will be a one term President or not.

Date:   2/16/2016 8:45:36 PM

I am not narrowing the parameters at all.  But even if you consider end of term appointments it is very rare and always when the 1st termer loses, ie, they don't know its their last term.

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   Yes You Are
Date:   2/16/2016 9:16:56 PM

Subject:   Yes You Are more informed now
Date:   2/17/2016 8:48:02 AM

http://www.infowars.com/scalia-death-judge-likely-violated-law/

Subject:   Ok MM...and be honest
Date:   2/17/2016 7:30:30 PM

Would you have the same attitude if "President John McCain" was preparing to nominate a supreme in the last year of his 2008-16 administration? Unless you answer an emphatic YeS your are just another political hypocrit.

If the vacancy is not filled for whatever reason before Obama leaves office and either Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders and a senate with a Democratic majority are sworn in next January, how will you stand on a possible filabuster of the new president's selection?  Surely you will join Mitch McConnell (yeah sure!) and urge approval because the "voters have spoken", "elections have consequences", "the people have had a say" etc, etc, etc!!

Subject:   The Voters have not spoken
Date:   2/17/2016 9:43:10 PM

As far as I know, there has been no voting referendum on this.  What you have is the same contrary relationship between Obama and the Republicans in Congress doing the same old, same old and a bunch of "conspiracy theorists" and talking heads talking nonsense.  It has nothing to do with the voters.  If it did, the voters would likely say they just want something done for a change.

Aliens in Area 51, anyone?

Date:   2/17/2016 10:04:19 PM

Don't get SB started....??

Date:   2/17/2016 10:19:38 PM (updated 2/17/2016 10:22:53 PM)

Actually the cool thing about Roswell is that the transistor got "invented" about 3 months after the crash.

I know it's not on CNN.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067101756X?keywords=roswell&qid=1455765786&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Date:   2/18/2016 9:15:00 AM

I only want the GOP to follow Obama's lead and filibuster any nominee until his term is over.  If Hillary or Bernie win then they will get to select the next associate member of SCOTUS and whoever runs the Senate will advise and consent.  No problem as the voters have spoken and they want a liberal justice.  But this is not hypocrisy, this is payback.  Liberals want to have their cake and eat it too.  I say screw them.

And I am always honest......Abe.....

Name:   Lighthouse - Email Member
Subject:   Thanks for the link EOM
Date:   2/18/2016 11:49:01 AM

Subject:   Thanks for the link EOM
Date:   2/18/2016 12:05:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl_8jQq1Dss

Date:   2/18/2016 1:57:37 PM (updated 2/18/2016 2:05:34 PM)

So are you saying if the GOP ends up with more than 40 senators even after the "liberals" have had an election field day and by the vote the people say "Give us a liberal court" you will advise against a nominee being filabustered by the GOP??

Now here is a "fact"...everybody in politics (and life in general for that matter) wants to have their cake and eat it too!  Democrats want more social programs (free college) but don't want to have to pay for it...Republicans want more military spending (send more troops to Afganistan and maybe even Syria) but don't want to pay for it, everybody wants better roads, and better schools, and more parks, and more police, and higher pay for teachers, and more honest leaders, but they are against any new taxes!!

Date:   2/19/2016 9:07:22 AM (updated 2/19/2016 10:09:27 AM)

Archie, you are completely missing my point here so I will type slow so you can maybe finally understand.  If the voters give the WH and a veto proof majority to the Democrats then what I hope happens won't mean a hill of beans.  Like with Obamacare, they will screw the country regardless of my wishes, hopes and dreams.  If they do not have a veto proof majority and whoever is President sends up some radical, left wing nut job nominee then I hope they do filibuster and use every tool they can to defeat said nominee the exact same way Democrats defeated Bork.  That is completely constitutional and dear leader is our example on this with Alito, albeit unsuccessfully.  

But the left has no moral authority to hold up the Constitution and suddenly demand it be followed given their silence for the last 7 years.  It is payback time so screw you and the rest of the leftists.  You wanted to live by that sword so now you die by it.  But again, don't think I have any illusions that the GOP led Senate will force the issue and wait until a new president is in office.  Probably our best hope is that dear leader nominates a moderate but even that is unlikely.

Date:   2/19/2016 10:59:46 PM (updated 2/19/2016 11:19:12 PM)

Well thanks for the answer...it is not whether or not either party has a veto proof majority but whether they have 40 senators...no matter what the voters say, if the next Pres selects someone you and those with similar ideology declare to be a "radical left wing nut job" then you favor a filibuster to block the nominee if the Repubs can muster those 40 senate votes!  Gee, the vacancy may last 9 years with that criteria!  I really wish the democrats had evoked the nuclear option and ended the filibuster when it was considered a couple of years ago.  This nation is tired of 40 members of either party having the power to stop everything and anything proposed by a president or the lower house!

I fully expect Obama to select a "moderate" by the average American's standards but I doubt you will consider anybody he is willing to nominate anything other than a "radical left wing nut job"!  Gee, if Ruth Ginsburg is, for whatever reason, unable to keep her seat we may have a 7 person court for the forseeable future.  Heck, as long as the filibuster stands and considering how completely polorized toward the extreme on both sides congress has become, we may not have anybody on the Supreme Court in a few years!! 

Date:   2/21/2016 10:16:38 AM

Filibuster away until the next President is in the WH.  As for the nuclear option you must have been asleep because the Democrats did use it for judicial nominations.  I say no more picks for the worst President since FDR.....but knowing how squishy the GOP Senators are I have no doubt they will fold and we will see the end of our right to bear arms and no limits on the power of the Federal govt.  That's when I cash out of my business and hunker down paying as few taxes as possible. 

Subject:   Typical non-sense
Date:   2/21/2016 11:39:45 AM

The nuclear option a few years ago specifically exempted the Supreme Court.  It did include no more filibuster of lower courts, but the Repubs have now invoked different rules to essentially delay any damn thing they want to delay, including lower court appointments with no need to use the filibuster.  Are you really paranoid enough to believe your right to own a gun is in danger of being completely taken away by ANY Supreme Court?  With luck, you may lose the "right" to take it into a place regardless of the "right" of other people in that place don't want it and the states and local governments might regain some control (strange how right wingers are all for local control unless local control means their desires might not prevail...then, the Feds need to take over), but that is about it.

Subject:   Your spelling is nonsense
Date:   2/21/2016 4:43:30 PM

Heck, that is grammar school stuff, but you did get ripped off by your government school so no surprise.  Archie, the only reason they didn't use the nuclear option was they didn't need to.  They made it up on the fly and could have used it for SCOTUS or any other if they wanted to open that can of worms.  Maybe we'll get lucky and Cruz will filibuster until dear leader is off on his hate America world speaking tour.  That would be fun to watch even if it won't happen.  Get over it Archie, you have zero moral authority to say one word about following the Constitution after your support of TOTUS.  It is payback time for your party's repeated violations of the Constitution.  Get used to being chopped up by that sword and stop your whining......

Subject:   You can always count on MM
Date:   2/22/2016 8:44:43 AM (updated 2/22/2016 8:45:53 AM)

to post a well thought out, fact based, calm and reason focused response.  Give me a freakin break...if you think Obama has thumbed his nose at the Constitution and made a conscious effort to destroy freedom in this country wait until Trump or Cruz get the throttle!!

Subject:   You can always count on left wing nuts
Date:   2/22/2016 11:06:35 AM

I can provide specific examples if you prefer.  And I am not just singling out Obama, this is a Democrat party problem.  

And I will gladly take my chances with Cruz......Trump not so much.  But if my choice is between him and a congenital lying old, worn out socialist like Billary I will gladly take my chances with anyone from the GOP, even Trump.  You just can't stand the taste of your own medicine.  Stop whining Archie, Democrats are the ones that started this and its time for them to have some of their own medicine.  It's payback time.  EO's, ignoring federal laws, using the IRS to target political enemies, blaming left wing videos for pretty much anything negative that happens, blaming Obama for the economy, etc., etc., etc.

If the GOP somehow wins the WH I hope they do this and much more.  Then finally Democrats and the govt media will suddenly have a new found love for the Constitution, until they are once again in power anyway.

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online