Updated 5/31/2023 1:39:35 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Lake Martin Photo Gallery

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   On the record for obstruction
Date:   2/23/2016 10:09:34 AM

So far we have documented the approval of our current President, our current Vice President, our current Senate minority leader and the incoming Senate minority leader as being in favor of obstructing Supreme Court nominations.  I think we are all set and have all the moral authority we need to wait until the new President is in office.  Thanks!

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   2/23/2016 2:54:20 PM

That's just crazy.  This is the very attitude that keeps this country screwed up.  How does that serve the interests of the United States?One of the leading candidates is someone that Republicans unanimously approved for her last job. 

You know by obstructing Obama, they run the risk of Hilary being our next President and she'll likely propose some one much more liberal. 

Date:   2/23/2016 3:40:14 PM

It is not crazy in the least.  In fact it is very bipartisan to take the lead from the Democrats and their very clear and unequivocal advice that a new member of SCOTUS should not be confirmed in an election year.  I find it more than amusing that the one time I agree with prominent Democrats, including our current POTUS and VPOTUS, that I am branded as crazy and harming the country.  

You say one of the leading candidates has already been confirmed, but it is a far cry being confirmed to a post that ends with the administration than a life-time appointment to the Supreme Court.  Someone could be acceptable for one role but not for another.  And that includes lower court justices.  If he nominates someone with Scalia's judicial temperament then confirm away.  If he proposes the kind of justice that I believe he will propose then screw him.  We can wait.  The world will not end.  

Name:   lakngulf - Email Member
Date:   2/23/2016 4:22:23 PM (updated 2/23/2016 4:46:36 PM)

Agreed.  I look forward to eight years from now 2016 GOP video clips are being shown to prove a Dem point.  It will happen.  Must take the chance on Hillary, but with chances GOP still has both houses.  Oddly enough, though I have so many, so many leanings against him Donald Duck would be most bipartisan, if that's whats needed.

Date:   2/23/2016 4:42:22 PM

And my point to you is - suppose a democrat, like Hilary, is the next President and not a Republican.  Are you going to be happy with her nomination.  And what can Congress do having forced the hand to wait for the next President.  No, they whine and cry and obstruct that too.  This is not good for the United States.  It goes well beyond politics.  You are assuming the next President will be a Republican.  They just need to go ahead and get this done now.  That is what is right for the good of the country. 

Date:   2/23/2016 4:45:02 PM

I don't think it is clear that Republicans will continue to be the majority in the House and Senate if a Democrat wins the WH. Don't forget that the reason that people are so taken with "outsiders" is because they are fed up with Congress, who is enjoying its lowest ratings ever.

Date:   2/23/2016 4:48:42 PM

Agreed.  And we will be sunk then.  You know I am not sure any candidate can do any good.  USA as a powerhouse working force is about gone.  Can we bring those jobs back here?  Will people want them?  We mainly now produce services, and government, and USA was not made great on that.

Date:   2/23/2016 4:52:17 PM

They just need to go ahead and get this done now

The "get this done now" would take a long time, probably until after current Pres out of office.  Any writings, speeches, etc of any nominee would be parsed and analyzed.  Far left leanings would be "borked", and Pres will not go with moderate.  Even ones who were all approved for lower office will have rulings, writings, etc criticized.

Date:   2/23/2016 5:18:19 PM

No I am not assuming anything about who the next President will be but I am quite certain Hillary will not propose anyone worse than Obama.  He can surprise me but I doubt it.  What would good for the country is for the next President to be a Republican and the Senate is controlled by the GOP and we get a justice like Scalia.  Anything else is bad.  As we have seen with 100% certainty, the Democrat proposed justices always vote in lockstep....only the Republicans seem to give us the likes of OConnor, Kennedy and Roberts.

Date:   2/23/2016 5:21:10 PM

In your opinion. 

Date:   2/23/2016 5:26:34 PM

In my opinion......of course.  But my opinion is at least backed up by facts and observations about the way the country has gone over the last 7 years.  I will say this, if it really looks like we can't win in November (either the WH or hold onto the Senate or both) and Obama is forced to finally nominate a moderate after several failed attempts with a radical then I would be all for confirmation.  The lesser of two evils although as I have already stated the ones nominated by Dems always vote in lockstep.  And I am all ears for examples of when there has been a 5-4 decision with one of them voting with Scalia, et al instead of the other way around.  Just doesn't happen.  And don't think I am foolish enough to believe the GOP led Senate will wait.  They will fold like a house of cards.

Date:   2/23/2016 7:18:56 PM

Will Americans want to work at jobs for the pay that manufacturers and others will  be able to pay and still stay competitive.  I was in FL last week.  Passed by some fields in Plant City and saw migrant workers picking strawberries. Will Americans take the jobs, even if the farmers are forced to pay minimum wage?  Went with a friend to the HSN outlet.  Everything in there was stamped "product of China".  It made me feel sick. 

I have repeated said that I am uncomfortable with everyone running.  I feel like it will be voting for the lesser evil.  I have no idea if any of them can help fix our problems.  I have a feeling that more legislation is not going to work.  I don't necessarily feel more comfortable having a majority Republican Congress and a Republican President.  I don't want them to just rubber stamp.  I want a balance.  I want them to work together to find solutions, not just pander to some political ideaology.  I'm not convinced that Republicans are right on everything. 

Date:   2/23/2016 7:25:29 PM

Yes, I agree.  Every judgement, opinion, writing that has ever been done will be parsed and discussed and questioned. I'm not convinced that Obama will nominate a radical.  I think it is entirely possible he will nominate a moderate.  I don't want a Supreme Court that is a group think, rubber stamp bench.  I think there is benefit in having a few "radicals" or a few liberals to make an argument to make sure that judgements are balanced.  We're not a nation of all conservatives.  Like most people, I am a mixture of both. 

Quick Links
Lake Martin News
Lake Martin Photos
Lake Martin Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

www.LakeMartin.com
THE LAKE MARTIN WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online