Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   lucky67 - Email Member
Subject:   Bentley
Date:   4/1/2016 2:45:08 PM

so now we discover he purchased "burner" phones at best buy; wonder if he had a server in the basement ??? Honestly dont think i can ever vote for another "Politician"--state or federal

Name:   wix - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2016 2:49:59 PM

Don't forget this fine politician was elected by the dimokraps of the AEA UNION.  

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2016 3:54:08 PM

Isn't he a Republican?  Explain.

Name:   lakngulf - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2016 5:28:04 PM

Bradley Byrne was headed to be the Republican nominee.  There were three, Byrne, Bentley and I forget the third.  Bentley surged toward the end, and word on the street was the AEA knew a Dem would not be elected so they put their money behind the lesser of evils, aka Bentley.  Bentley squeaked by Byrne in the runoff and became Rep nominee.  Fortunately, AEA, due to other reasons, has lost much of its power during the Bentley years, but AEA thought Byrne would be a major foe.

That is what I remember.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2016 5:31:40 PM

I remember it pretty much that way as well. 

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   4/1/2016 5:38:22 PM

Reminds me of a poem I heard while in college ... Most often in the accompaniment of a bunch of fraternity brothers and a keg of beer:

"Here's to it

The birds do it and sigh

The bees do it and die

But I don't do it and I'll tell you why

I promised to be true

But I'll tell you what I'll do

I'll let you

As long as I don't move it ain't cheating!"

Subject:   Thanks
Date:   4/1/2016 6:38:48 PM

Thanks.  Now I understand about how he got there.  

Date:   4/1/2016 6:51:29 PM

I feel the same way.  Bentley is just further proof of what I have always observed:  The people that have to constantly harp on their Christian values and hold themselves up as paragons, usually have the most to hide.  People that really have Christian Values don't have to tell everyone, because every one will see it in their actions.  He should do the right thing and resign.  At this point, he reminds me of Bill "I did not have sex with that woman" Clinton. 

Apparently the woman's husband said it believed it was nothing.  That made me wonder if they were in cahoots somehow for her to encourage the governor's affections, for a very large salary and whatever other perks were available. 

Subject:   [Message deleted by author]
Date:   4/1/2016 6:52:44 PM (updated 4/1/2016 6:53:25 PM)

Name:   Old Diver - Email Member
Subject:   Why?
Date:   4/1/2016 8:53:36 PM

Not to diminish blame for the Gov's actions but I can't help but wonder why Republicans are pilloried for things that are almost a prerequisite for Democrooks. Bill Clintion is a satyriasis. Rember Anthony Wener. John and Ted kenedy. On and on. I always remember Big Jim's famous quotation, "If you bait it with (sex) you will always catch me."

In some ways though I believe this unequal enforcement is justified because Republicans should live up to a higher standard than Democrooks. They should pay the price when they don't.  

Subject:   Why?
Date:   4/1/2016 9:59:36 PM

I seem to recall that Bill Clinton was impeached.  I don't think that was anyone letting him get away with anything.  I don't know anyone that was pretty much disgusted by Bill Clinton's antics and he never particularly claimed to be a Christian. 

The Kennedys were in such a different time period - the early 60s where this kind of thing just did not get out in public.  I don't think anyone ever let Ted Kennedy off for what he did.  But after 30 -40 years, people tend to forget these things. 

Even Anthony Weiner lost his job and was openly made fun of in the press. 

I don't think either side is treated differently - but maybe a little more is made of some Republicans when they use family values and tout their religious beliefs as a way to get elected.  Most Democrats don't use that to get elected. 

But I don't have a lot of sympathy for any of them - if you want to pursue a public life in politcs, you have to realize that there will be no secrets, because someone is always watching. 

Date:   4/1/2016 11:00:09 PM

To add to what lakengulf posted Bradley Byrne had been head of the junior college system, where he uncovered a dimo double dipping scheme that involved a number of legislator holding fake JC jobs, collecting pay and never showing up for work, which was how Hubbert, the czar of AEA at the time was able to buy control of the legislature.  BYrne uncovered Hubbert's scheme, prosecuted a number of legislators and became "enemy #1" to Hubbert, so Hubbert told his ever loyal AEA teachers to campaign against Byrne in the Republican primary.....they did and he lost to Bentley.

Name:   lakngulf - Email Member
Date:   4/2/2016 8:34:09 AM

Thanks for the addition.  I knew Byrne was on Hubbet's hit list but could not recall the details.  He was Pres of the Baldwin Jr College for just a short time.

Date:   4/2/2016 9:45:08 AM

Link:  http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/07/hubbert_byrne_threatened_to_bu.html

He was on the state board of education and was chancellor of the JC system.  I found the article above from al.com, liberal website, that gives more info on the AEA in the gov. Election.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Subject:   Maybe a little too cynical
Date:   4/4/2016 9:29:28 AM

I would not say that everyone that espouses their Christian beliefs is hiding something.  Politicians say things all the time to get elected even if they don't really believe them.  Seems to be par for the course with that particular vocation.  But there are still plenty of them that do not engage in adultry (at least as far as we know).  The fact is that positions of power have always and will always attract the opposite sex and men in particular are susceptible to temptation and prone to lose their minds.  History is rife with examples all the way back to the Old Testament.  We are just stupid that way, partly biological and not something we should be particuarly proud of.  But women have always known that and some are just as prone to use our weakness for their own benefit and gain.  Nothing new under that sun and not something that will ever change given our collective fallen nature.

We are all prone to sin.  But when you hold others to a standard of behavior such as Christian virtues then you open yourself up to being a hypocrite when you fall.  While it is sad and contemptible when a Republican that espouses to be a Christian errs in this way, I would much rather affiliate with a party that at least espouses those values, even though some fail to meet them, than a party that has no values.  What differentiates the GOP from the Democrats is the responses of others.  No one is defending Bentley or others that have fallen.  Can't say the same with Democrats.  They always seem to be able to look past the errors and in many cases will rush to defend them or poo poo the behavior.....maybe a little too cynical on my part but it sure seems that way.

As for your Bill Clinton example, he was impeached for lying to a grand jury, not for getting a Lewinsky in the Oval Office.  Had he told the truth all along he would not have been impeached.  Hady Hillary kicked his sorry butt to the curb for his serial adultry instead of taking the lead on running the bimbo squad, trashing women that "should all be believed" and blaming the vast right wng conspiracy maybe I would think otherwise.  It seems to me that Democrats only force someone out when they become a political liability to the party and not as a result of their objectionable behavior.  Far too many examples of tax cheats, philanderers, etc. that stayed in office simply because their constituents put them back.  

Date:   4/4/2016 4:07:04 PM

And you have to believe that the Republicans do the same.  When it becomes too much of a liability, both sides will throw the "sinner" under the bus. 

Yes, Clinton was impeached for lying - but the whole thing got too sordid for anyone, and they used the legal reason to impeach him. People were more and more disgusted by the details as they came out, went livid when he made that ridiculous statement "it depends on what your definition of "is" is.  He's lucky he was only impeached by the end of the whole affair.  I was working in DC at the time, and it didn't seem to matter where you were on the political spectrum, everyone was completely disgusted by the whole affair and thought he had brought shame to the office. 

No one is perfect and everyone is going to fail in some way.  And I believe in forgiveness as much as anyone.  But I think when you pursue public office and tout your "Chrisitian beliefs" (remember that Bentley said at his first inauguration that only Christians could be his brothers and sisters) as though this makes you superior to others, than I think when you fall, you kinda get what you deserve.  Remember some Senator from the MidWest was caught hanging out in a particular mensroom often, at Minneapolis Airport?  He ran on family values too. 

In a small way, I feel a bit sorry for Bentley.  I believe this woman played him for her own benefit, and he was just too smitten to see it.  And I don't fault him for "sinning" if in fact he did, but he's pretty much lost not only his wife, but his reputation too.  If he willingly gives up his job, what does he have left?

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Date:   4/6/2016 10:57:13 AM

As for Bentley, he will get what he deserves for his weakness.  And while I too believe in forgiveness but that doesn't mean you don't have to live with the consequences of your decisions and actions.  If he gives up the governorship or is recalled then I would say he has lost a lot but not everything and if he is truly a Christian he will figure that out.  If not, he will be left in despair.

Reminds me of something one of my friend's Dads told him when he ran into trouble over a girl:  A rabbit was crossing the railroad tracks and a train came along and lopped off his tail.  When he turned to look at the lost tail the train lopped off his head.  The moral of the story?  Don't lose your head over a piece of tail.  

Men especially could use this piece of wisdom when they are facing temptation.  By the way, an interesting book that is a bit dated but still relevant is called "Why Men Are the Way They Are" by Warren Farrell.  He is a self described feminist but was brutally honest about why men act the way they do and how women influence them and their thinking and their actions.  Goes along the lines of seeing these old, nasty looking guys with hot trophy wives.......follow the money, power and fame and you will have your answer.  Men are stupid and women are attracted to money, power and fame.  Interesting read.

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town