Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Bear Creek Reservoir Photo Gallery

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Subject:   North Carolina
Date:   4/4/2016 7:41:46 PM

Is anyone paying attention to what is going on in NC?  In addition to the "permit discrimination" bill they passed, they are now considering passing a law for a state religion, and according to the analysis, apparently they believe this would free them from the Constitution and all Federal laws.  Am I reading this wrong?  Isn't that the same thing as seceding from the U.S. 

I have noticed that a number of large companies are refusing to do anything in NC, and I have gotten numerous emails from companies that are located there saying that (paraphasing) although the state has gone nuts, they are still willing to deal with everyone. 

I can't imagine the mass exodus that is going to be leaving NC, if they keep passing this kind of legislation.   If someone has read something different, please post what you know.

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   4/4/2016 7:59:22 PM

All I know is the U of North Carolina plays Villanova for the NCAA March Madness final at 9 EST TONITE! All else will be on hold until after the game. 

Name:   architect - Email Member
Date:   4/4/2016 9:41:48 PM

20 years ago, with the embarrassing excepton of Jesse Helms, NC was easily the most economically advanced and forward thinking (dare I say "liberal") state in the south.  At some point the Know Nothings got their foot in the door ansd gradually took over.  NC is now reaping the whirlwind.  I cannot imagine Duke and UNC will be mollified until this is rescinded.  Strange how the "true believers" are all for local control of government until those awful "liberals" get control of local government.  Thank God for Nathan Deal!!

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   4/4/2016 11:55:41 PM

Man, if you missed the game you missed the best last 15 seconds of any game I can remember. Carolina tied the score with a most amazing 3 pointer and Nova got the ball with 4.7 and hit a 3 ppinter to win as the clock read 0.00. What a wonderful break from all the negative material posted.

Now, it's time to get back to reality. The Right sucks.

Name:   architect - Email Member
Date:   4/5/2016 8:00:55 AM

Per your first point, thanks, but l'm not a roundball fan but glad it lifted your spirits, as to the second...a lot of 'em these days sure do, Ronald Reagan, Everitt Dirksen and Barry Goldwater must be resting in some degree of discomfort these days.

Name:   Puntune - Email Member
Date:   4/5/2016 10:42:14 AM

Do you have a link to the religion bill? The only thing I can find is a bill introduced in April 2013 that was never allowed a floor vote. Anything more current?

Date:   4/5/2016 4:54:57 PM

I don't have a link to NC, but Mississppi just passed the same law either yesterday or today.

Subject:   Gone Fishing
Date:   4/5/2016 5:01:13 PM

I will thank you not to hijack my thread with your meaningless drivel.  If you have something to say about the topic, say it.  Otherwise, start your own thread. I've stayed off your butt until now, but I am really fed up with your hijacking of other people's threads, especially when there is a good discussion going with people that clearly want to discuss an issue.   

Date:   4/5/2016 9:58:56 PM

Not a link to the NC discrimination bill, but your statement that they are now considering declaring a state religion that would allow them to secede from the union, etc. The only thing close I could find was from 2013 and never reached the floor for a vote. That is what I am questioning.

Date:   4/6/2016 7:22:52 PM

Read this on CNN a couple of days ago.  As I understand it, the way it is written that it will allow NC to selectively chose which Federal laws they will implement.  It was a bill and they may have decided against it and it died.  I assure you I didn't make it up.

But not to fear, because TN is considering make the Bible their state symbol (like a state flower, tree, bird) and our good friend Mississippi, the state with the most obesity, the worst schools and the lowest literacy rate, but the highest unemployment, has passed a law to allow discrimination on the basis of religion, as if that were their biggest problem. 

Subject:   Here is the Link
Date:   4/6/2016 7:35:18 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html

Date:   4/6/2016 11:13:46 PM

Ok, thanks. That article is from 2013 and is the bill I was talking about that never made to the floor for a vote. I thought you were talking about something current.

Date:   4/6/2016 11:25:50 PM

As I understood it, it was being considered again, but perhaps it has been shelved given the response to their bathroom bill and their right to discriminate. 

Quick Links
Bear Creek Reservoir News
Bear Creek Reservoir Photos
Bear Creek Reservoir Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

BearCreek.LakesOnline.com
THE BEAR CREEK RESERVOIR WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online