Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Bear Creek Reservoir Photo Gallery

Name:   Lifer - Email Member
Subject:   Legal question
Date:   10/27/2016 4:42:17 PM

I know we have had lawyers who follow the forum in the past so I assume their is one or more still so I have a question about presidential pardons. Let's assume,  as many including me have,  that obammy issues pardons to shrillary and crew on his way out the door. Can he issue blanket pardons for any and all crimes or must each potential/likely crime be pardoned individually? If he does issue pardons is there any way to revoke or remove those pardons once the sunshine is applied to the actions of this criminal cabal? Can he pardon himself because I think he has committed crimes himself possibly including treason? From Phil's post below it is obvious that shrillary has concerns of her crimes coming to light and what the consequences could be. Inquiring minds want to know.

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   Legal question
Date:   10/27/2016 5:15:51 PM

Just as President Ford pardoned Nixon for crimes he might have committed against the US Governemnt, so could Obama. Conviction is not necessary nor do crimes need to be listed. President Clinton  could just pardon herself or Obama or Trump, if necessary.

Subject:   That's not correct
Date:   10/27/2016 5:48:33 PM

In the reading I have done impeachment cannot be pardoned so If shrillary wins her crimes would be impeach able, therefore NOT subject to pardon. From what I read it seems like a pardon can't be issued unless a conviction has been obtained and contrition has been seen in the individual.  But like most of the constitution,  this section seems to have been shredded and regurgitated to fit whomever holds the office. The constitution is clear and enumerated the circumstances in which pardon is acceptable. But I could be wrong because statutes could have been passed further defining the action.

Subject:   I Disagree With You...............
Date:   10/27/2016 6:40:16 PM

I believe your are confusing impeachable crimes and impeachment. The Presdient cannot pardon an impeached person. He can pardon someone who has comitted an impeachable crime but has not been impeached. To be impeached requires a vote for Articles of Impeachment by the House which is then sent to the Senate to actually vote on impeachment. The President has the power under the Constitution to pardon someone BEFORE the Senate votes. Nixon was pardoned by Ford after the House voted to send it to the Senate and Nixon resigned BEFORE the Senate voted to impeach. So, he was pardoned for all crimes he MIGHT HAVE COMMITTED against the United States.

As to the requirement for contrition. that only applies  as I believe to someone who has been convicted. If one has not been convicted then they are presumed innocent and there is no need to show any contrition.

Article II, Section 2, Clause 1)

The power to pardon is one of the least limited powers granted to the President in the Constitution. The only limits mentioned in the Constitution are that pardons are limited to offenses against the United States (i.e., not civil or state cases), and that they cannot affect an impeachment process. A reprieve is the commutation or lessening of a sentence already imposed; it does not affect the legal guilt of a person. A pardon, however, completely wipes out the legal effects of a conviction. A pardon can be issued from the time an offense is committed, and can even be issued after the full sentence has been served. It cannot, however, be granted before an offense has been committed, which would give the President the power to waive the laws.

Subject:   One Other Thing...............
Date:   10/27/2016 6:56:53 PM

President Obama can stop all the Congressional inquiries on emails, etc. by simply issuing a pardon before Jan 21, 2017 for all crimes that Hillary might have committed against the United States. Also, if Hillary is elected she can pardon herself.

Trump cannot pardon himself for Trump University since they are civil lawsuits seeking money and not criminal.

Date:   10/27/2016 6:59:26 PM

Valid points but neither of us is really qualified to be sure how it could or could not be used. Of course obammy has never been bothered by the law or rules before so why would he start now. If he doesn't pardon her any investigation is going to bring him down too. He is as crooked as they are and up to his eyeballs in the email crap.

Name:   Classified - Email Member
Date:   10/27/2016 11:19:40 PM

He can't pardon her if she hasn't been convicted of a crime.  Maybe that is why no convictions are forthcoming..........they want her to win then convict her after she has been sworn in..............oh how the plot thickens..................

Date:   10/28/2016 1:20:20 AM

Classified, if you are correct explain how President Ford was able to pardon Nixon for crimes he MIGHT HAVE committed against the US?

The fact is that the House never voted Articles of Impeachment because Nixon resigned. There were NO charges when he resigned. Ford pardoned him for what he MIGHT HAVE committed so the country could move on.

The bottom line is Obama could pardon her tomorrow or anytime until he leaves office for crimes she might have committed against the US. He cannot pardon her for future crimes.

As President, she could pardon herself.

Name:   phil - Email Member
Date:   10/28/2016 10:59:54 AM (updated 10/28/2016 11:01:44 AM)

And if she pardons herself - it is basically the same as admiting guilt.  Nixon considered it and decided to resign instead.  

If she does pardon herself, with a long history of presidents not having done so - she will further unravel the fabric or our democracy and basically be personally responsible for civil war Part 2.

If it is unAmerican to question our election system, if it is unAmerican to question if it is rigged or not - then I would have to say that is she does pardon herself that too would have to unAmerican and that would be one of the lines in the sand that would cause me to take up arms against my own country.

It is bad enough that most politicans are never held accountable for their actions - but to legally excuse themselves from any punishments would basically be showing us that there is really two classes of people - those who can get away with it and the rest of us little people.  This would add weight to us no longer being a country of laws and I think would be one of the many death nails in the coffin that formally was known as the USA.

Name:   Classified - Email Member
Date:   10/28/2016 7:54:30 PM

Nixon admitted to being a part of the Watergate scandal.  It was common knowledge what Nixon did.  Hilda has admitted no wrong doing; but Nixon did.  That is the difference.

Subject:   I'l Show You..You Show Me
Date:   10/29/2016 3:27:07 PM

From BREITBART….HARDLY A CLINTON FAVORITE

After the experience of the first Clinton impeachment, Republicans are unlikely to go that route. Regardless, Hillary Clinton would begin her presidency under a cloud of suspicion. Her election would be tainted by a sense of illegitimacy, which would weaken her politically as well as diplomatically.

There is only one way to avoid that, and that is for President Obama to use his authority to pardon Clinton for all criminal acts that she may have committed until this point. He would be well within his constitutional authority to do so, even though Clinton has not yet been charged with specific crimes.

Obama could, and probably would, also pardon Clinton if she loses the election. The question is whether voters want to elect someone who needs the extraordinary remedy of a presidential pardon in order to serve effectively in the highest office.

Now, you show me where you are getting your info...........

Subject:   I'l Show You..You Show Me
Date:   10/29/2016 3:53:19 PM

If she wins and obammy issues a pardon before inauguration civil disobedience is almost certain. If she pardons herself it will be revolution.

Quick Links
Bear Creek Reservoir News
Bear Creek Reservoir Photos
Bear Creek Reservoir Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

BearCreek.LakesOnline.com
THE BEAR CREEK RESERVOIR WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Lakes Online