Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Subject:   Perc Test
Date:   1/15/2009 2:18:30 PM

Tree roots have pretty well destroyed my field lines, and before I build an addition to my cabin I need to run some new ones.

Any recos for someone to do a field test? I have one name but would like to see if there might be others.

Our cabin is off Coosa 20 in the Parker Creek area - Coosa County.

Thanks in advance

NH

Subject:   Oops
Date:   1/15/2009 2:19:18 PM

Perc test, not field test.

Name:   Harborcon - Email Member
Date:   1/15/2009 2:42:12 PM

Ours was done by Brian R. Ingram, P.E.,
1526 A Stonehenge Dr
Alex City
256-215-5286
Lic #25406

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Date:   1/15/2009 2:48:14 PM

I know we had one done when we built our house, but I don't know who did it. It may have been the engineering firm we hired (Larry Speakes). Coosa County Health Department is very picky, so make sure everything that gets done is strictly by (their) book.

Name:   Lakey - Email Member
Date:   1/15/2009 3:51:40 PM

You should have it done as part of the addition. The fieldline requirements are based on number of bedrooms not baths. Ask the person you select about their typical system design based on standard conditions if they exist as that is where the difference can cost a lot on money. Some of those guys have their own way of doing things and do not think about your cost.

Name:   Ulysses E. McGill - Email Member
Date:   1/15/2009 5:25:50 PM

There are many companies that will do a better job for less money than the engineering firm mentioned above.

Name:   BamaBob3 - Email Member
Date:   1/15/2009 6:22:30 PM

Hey MRHodja. I have the same problem and I'm also in Coosa county Parker Creek area. I will be very interested in what you learn if you don't mind passing along the info. I had my tank pumped to buy time...not much activity at the cabin in the Winter.

Date:   1/15/2009 6:29:41 PM

No doubt that is true, but Speakes came highly recommended and he got the job done. The guy that we worked with at Speakes worked his tail off for us, and dealt with all of Coosa County concerns, which were numerous. I also hired the company that they recommended for my septic installation... no doubt someone else could have done that cheaper too, but when Coosa Health Department told us that they would meausre the installation to the inch, I wanted it to be just right.

I'm sure there are a lot of very fine companies out there, and I'm not recommending one over another. Just commenting on what we did and we were well satisified.

Date:   1/15/2009 6:35:56 PM

We used them once and they were off on several important measurements on a complex project.....had to hire someone else to come in and re-do almost everything.

Date:   1/15/2009 6:50:20 PM

Not my experience. And I am led to believe by a number of people that they are considered to be a very reputable firm. But, I have no vested interest in them one way or another. I just needed help and they delivered.

Date:   1/15/2009 7:05:00 PM

I understand, and I'm sure they are capable of decent work depending on the project and who does the job. Like I said, our job was complex. We used them because we thought they would do a good job and we knew it would be tough, but after much frustration we had to move on. We finally got the job done right with a guy out of Auburn and we paid him far less than the money we wasted on the first try. I wasn't trying to knock your experience, and I can honestly say I wish both myself and my wallet shared it!

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Subject:   Hate to be Ignorant but...
Date:   1/15/2009 7:08:04 PM

What is a PERC Test?

Date:   1/15/2009 7:11:25 PM

determines how fast and how much water can be absorbed by the ground from the poop pipe.

Name:   rude evin - Email Member
Subject:   Just wondering........
Date:   1/15/2009 7:15:25 PM

if tax payers should get a perc test soon on the ability to absorb the coming tax increases........... ;-{

Subject:   hummm
Date:   1/15/2009 7:23:49 PM

I don't think we'll pass, but I'm sure our overseers will try and find a way to poke enough holes to make it happen.

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Date:   1/15/2009 7:41:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I just wonder how long Pappy looked for a P.E. to tell him that poop flows downhill and that sand is better than clay?? Before he placed the outhouse??

Date:   1/15/2009 8:16:30 PM

lol...I'm sure many of our forefathers would think the world has gone nuts.

Name:   Kizma Anuice - Email Member
Subject:   MEXICANS WITH SHOVELS
Date:   1/16/2009 1:03:46 AM

Just get some mexicans with shovels and plant some new lines. If anyone asks tell them you are landskaping and putting in french drains.

THIS ALWAYS WORKS. AND YOU DON'T NEED A PERMIT.

Date:   1/16/2009 8:03:39 AM

A measure of how quickly water percolates into the ground. I think they just bore some test holes, fill them with water, and measure how long it takes for the water to disappear. The faster it soaks into the ground, the fewer feet of field lines needed to service the septic system.

If the ground is loose, sandy soil the water disappears quickly and the owner gets off easier-- if hard clay or rock, then more field lines would be required. I guess the reason the perc test costs what it does is these gents know the magic formulas to determine (to the health department's satisfaction) how much is enough.

Interesting that the name given to me as someone to do the test hasn't appeared in any of the posts yet. Makes me wonder if he isn't qualified or just isn't well known.

NH

Subject:   The answer you are looking for
Date:   1/16/2009 11:46:13 AM

The best thing you can do with a health department that is hard to deal with is go in personto the office, do not call, and ask them for a list of people that are approved to perc and a list of companies that can install. Warm up to them and ask if they would could please recommend a few and let them know you appreciate their opinion. Use someone they recommend and you are a lot less likely to have any problems.

Subject:   Excellent Suggestion
Date:   1/16/2009 12:48:23 PM

Thanks. May drive up to Rockford this afternoon.

Subject:   Excellent Suggestion
Date:   1/16/2009 12:53:50 PM

Good luck. It worked for me!

Subject:   MEXICANS WITH SHOVELS
Date:   1/17/2009 8:09:16 PM

Sounds like a recipe for ending up with sewage in the lake.

Name:   Gunner - Email Member
Date:   1/19/2009 10:30:58 PM

PERC TEST - STEVE MARTIN ENGINEERING - TALLASSEE

SEPTIC - DALE MASK - ECLECTIC

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map