Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   alahusker - Email Member
Subject:   All this food talk??
Date:   4/18/2009 10:19:09 PM

Just finished fresh crappie (caught today), hush puppies and cole slaw with a miller lite.. Enjoyed the 'grillin shack' last nite, but on a scale of 1 - 10, grilling shack gets an 8, but my deep fryer gets a 10..

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   4/18/2009 10:33:42 PM

Any chance I could get an invite to the next fry if I promise to abandon my alma mater and yell "Go Big Red"?

Heard that MANY times during my six winhers in Omaha. Don't remember the summers....if there were any....just the winters...:>)

Date:   4/19/2009 9:35:38 AM

Sure you are welcome, with or without a "Big Red hat'... No restrictions on Aubie gear either, would have to make an exception for 'Tide' hats. If you missed Joe Tess's fish in South Omaha, you missed a treat.. Runza's (and snow) bite, however.. Where/what did you do in Omaha?? Spent most of formative years in Bellevue, UNL grad and back home for a tour while wearing an Air Force uniform..

Name:   4thelake - Email Member
Date:   4/19/2009 10:06:12 AM

Oh Yea...Runzas. Their french fries were the bomb to. Mr. C's in Omaha was one of the best meat slabs I have ever eaten. The finest steak however resided at Driesbacks in good old Grand Island. Go Big Red. I used to fly Tom Osborne on his recruiting trips back in my commuter pilot days.

Date:   4/19/2009 1:53:37 PM

People are incredulous when I tell them Joe Tess was famous for fried carp sandwiches.

70-73 Bellevue (Virginia Avenue) as a poverty-stricken Lt. working in Bldg 500, 79-82 Papillion while flying as a battlestaff comm officer with NEACP. While she didn't graduate from there, my wife has about half her college hours from UNO.

Date:   4/19/2009 2:55:55 PM

Little World isn't it??

Mr Hodja is for real.. could have been code.. who else would know that Joe Tess sold CARP (shipped in from Minnesota, vs caught in the Missouri river I might add) sandwiches.. rye bread and homemade pickels??? As a teen, hit the place regularily on friday nite about closing time for a box of tails.. Stuffed with enuff fish to sop up the Falstaff..

Did Bldg 500 for 4 years in the early 80's, deep in the basement.. Liked being back home, caught a few games (Frank solich was my fraternity brother so got good seats) but frustrated as a B-52 pilot doing staff officer stuff..

And 4thelake (think I saw your license plate at the gym?) was born in the same place, Grand Island?? First memory of eating out (rare thing for my family) was Driesbacks on my birthday.. Same year I caught my first bass in Hall County on a yellow jitterbug.. Might have been seven at the time..

Small World.. need to get together over a dozen oysters and a beer at the Oyster bar.. I'll treat..

Terry Burke

Name:   4thelake - Email Member
Date:   4/19/2009 8:04:56 PM

Im in. Just email me and we can set a time. Phil

Date:   4/19/2009 11:28:24 PM

One of these days, maybe. Problem is geography. It is an hour's drive if not more from our place since our cabin is in the Parker Creek area. Haven't figured out yet how to get a car onto my pontoon boat so we could take a leisurely boat ride to the nearest docking point and then drive from there (I'd trade a 60 minute boat ride for a 60 minute car ride anytime). Bicycles might have been an option about 30 years ago, but too many inhales and exhales have transpired at this point for that to be anything more than a guaranteed trip to the nearest ER.

Cheers,

Nasreddin Hodja

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info