Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   4lakelivn - Email Member
Subject:   Question for You
Date:   7/13/2009 11:19:40 AM

Why is the driver's side of the boat on the right?

Name:   Nancy Christine II - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 11:26:31 AM

Because most boats torque over to the left @ WOT.

Date:   7/13/2009 11:32:39 AM

Since I don't know what WOT is, I'm still lost. What harm if it goes to the left? You'd have to "correct" either way, wouldn't you?

Name:   Jural - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 11:43:56 AM

WOT = Wide Open Throttle. The prop rotates clockwise and lifts the right side of the boat. The weight of the driver acts as a counterbalance. That's what I have heard anyway.

Name:   CAT BOAT - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 12:33:20 PM

It is not always on the right. Some boat builders offer it either way. As someone else said, I have always heard that it does offset torque provided the prop is right hand rotation. I have seen a lot of Fountains with lefthand rotation props. On most twin engine boats, props counterrotate. Now you've got me wondering why.

URL: Port side helm

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 1:05:33 PM

My 23 ft center console with single engine has the steering on the left of the console as does the others I have fished from.

However, the cutty cabin and walkaround boats have it on the right side.

Maybe, like Palin, one of the great mysteries of life.

Name:   Feb - Email Member
Subject:   Do Not Know the Answer, but
Date:   7/13/2009 1:58:26 PM

why did Cat's post get flagged?

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 2:15:41 PM

I googled the question and the more common answer was the one about boat prop torque. Here is a more interesting answer. Maybe someone with a little more nautical history knowledge than I can comment on its veracity:

"The origin of term comes from old boating practices. Before boats had rudders on their centerline, boats were steered by use of a specialized oar. This oar was held by a sailor located towards the stern (back) of the boat. However, like most of the rest of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the boat. The word starboard is a corruption of steering board, which in turn came from the old Norse language word st�ri, in the language of the vikings.

Similarly, the term for the left side of the boat, port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (i.e., the Portboard side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed. Because the words portboard and starboard sounded too similar to be distingued under windy sailing conditions, portboard was shortened to port.

The starboad side of most naval vessels the world over is designated the 'senior' side. The officers' gangway or sea ladder is shipped on this side and this side of the quarterdeck is reserved for the captain. The flag or pennant of the ship's captain or senior officer in command is generally hoist on the starboard yard."

Date:   7/13/2009 2:17:02 PM

It would be nice to have some accountability for flagging.

Date:   7/13/2009 2:30:57 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the research. Questions about flagging. How can you tell something has been flagged. Nothing is earmarked on my forum page. I clicked on Cat's URL link to see the boat with the driver on the left, but nothing else on his comment.

I've seen comments about flagged threads, but have never seen one (or don't know where to look, maybe).

Date:   7/13/2009 2:32:26 PM

Go to Cat's post and look to the right of the subject line.

Date:   7/13/2009 2:38:52 PM

I'm looking at his post and there is nothing next to the subject line on my screen. I wonder if my set up has something turned off.
I read of someone else commenting on something wrong with the site. They right clicked on something and it showed up as flagged. I only clicked on his picture he had linked there.

Name:   Webmaster - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 2:55:57 PM

Technically the "Flag Inappropriate" button is right aligned from the subject line (not right next to it). I do see too many unintended flags. Many different people for unrelated subjects. I'm wondering why it's happening. Unless maybe the image does not load. Then, someone right clicks and selects "Open Link"... That would do the same function as left clicking.

Name:   bassplayer60 - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 3:32:59 PM

I'll take a stab at it. If the operator is located on the starboard side they will more easilly identify a vessel approaching from the right therefore having the right of way. Make sense???

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Subject:   Webmaster??
Date:   7/13/2009 3:48:23 PM

I commented further down the page on how easy it is to inadvertently flag a post, and it was misunderstood.
I had never flagged a post, and was curious on the mechanics. So I clicked the "Flag it" icon next to a post to see how. I expected a follow-up question like "do you want to flag this post as........", that allowed me to back out, but it was already a done deal.
Maybe you might consider adding a step to flagging to prevent curiosity from causing the problem??

Name:   lakeplumber - Email Member
Subject:   And the answer is...
Date:   7/13/2009 5:05:50 PM

... modern boating was a British concept. And since British people drive their automobiles from the right side, they thought it appropriate for te boats to be operated as well...

NOT!

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   Another Reason
Date:   7/13/2009 5:55:29 PM

Most people feel more comfortable using their right hand on the controls. The center console has the wheel on the left but the controls are on the right. A boat like CAT's with a gas pedal rather than controls will have the wheel on the left like a car.

Date:   7/13/2009 5:58:38 PM

Yes, that is the way it should be designed in lieu of the quick fix way it currently is. Unfortunately I have to mix what needs to be done with what has to be done, and paid work wins most of the time.

I'll get to it.

Bruce Pate

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 6:51:24 PM

Gotcha' No problemo. I just suspect most of the Flagging that irritates some forum members so much is unintended, but, you can't type "OOPS" and remove it.
Thanks for putting it on your list,,
Mack

Name:   muddauber - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 7:01:11 PM

That is a "could have been correct" answer.
One would think that with todays engineering, there is a logical reason why. But as I read these posts, seems it may just be "that's what we've always done".

Name:   alahusker - Email Member
Subject:   Hmmm , then why does
Date:   7/13/2009 8:17:04 PM

the aircraft commander (pilot) set in the left seat and the copilot set in the right seat on commercial and military aircraft??

Name:   Feb - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 8:36:04 PM

Was that "Wot" or "Not"? LOL

Name:   Nancy Christine II - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 8:38:58 PM

Because Orville and Wilbur were Americans and Wilbur was not a good of a pilot. LOL. But why then do fling wingers fly right seat and the helicopter was a German craft. The plot thickens.(insert spooky music here)

Date:   7/13/2009 9:14:17 PM

Because they:

1. Don't have both their oars in the water....
2. Are a bunch of leftists....
3. Want to handle the throttles with their dominant (right) hand....
4. Want to leave their dominant hand free to fondle the stewardess...or their copilot...
4. Maybe BTSOOM!!

Nasreddin Hodaja

Subject:   Nope... Look GF...
Date:   7/13/2009 9:34:41 PM

I think after reading, and looking at pictures on the net, and walking around the property... Some throttles are on the left, some on right. Some steering wheels on left, some on right. I think that over the years its a "make it like you want to sort of thing". It seems that the custom world is all over the board, and the production world is pretty much standard "Throttle on the right" and "Drive from the right". Thats my thoughts anyway. Whew... And, GF, I would have to have two gas pedals. I don't think I am that coordinated. LMAO. Imagine, two shifters, two gas pedals, two feet and two hands all going at the same time. NO WAY I can do that... Check link below. Drive from the right, shift and throttle with the left hand (unless co-driver is doing it). Now I am really confused.... :)

URL: Shifters/throttles

Name:   LonghornBoater - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 9:48:09 PM

I have been led to believe that positioning the helm on the right side of a small craft allows the best visability when overtaking another craft properly on left.

Name:   DSCR - Email Member
Date:   7/13/2009 11:46:26 PM

I guess an "accident" is possible, but the flag button is WAY over to the right and not close to any other hot spot and, if they did "accidentally" click the button, most would say so just like you did in the previous thread. That one was no accident. I just found it tacky for some wimp keyboard ninja to anonymously slam that post about the lost dog just because they happen to object to that business's previous over-abundant posts. So I said so. I dont often say "everything" I am thinking. I tried to but Bruce's filters saved me.......that time.

I guess I object to the whole "flag" thing. If you disagree with someone, have the cajones to disagree, make your case, and listen to the rebuttals with an open mind. And, I am not in any way referring to you Mack.

Come on Bruce, dump the flag. Force'em to speak up or shut up. That would get the whole issue completely off you plate instead of causing you more work.

Name:   JustAGuy - Email Member
Date:   7/14/2009 12:22:26 AM

Mr. Hodja ... GREAT POST! That was a very interesting post. THANKS!

Name:   JustAGuy - Email Member
Date:   7/14/2009 12:26:17 AM

Bruce ... you may not remember, but I contacted you about ten years ago about buying this site from you. You responded that this is a multi-lake site, and that you had no interest in selling. I lay awake at night sometimes dreaming that I had first registered lakemartin.com .... Thanks for all you do.

Name:   Jim Dandy - Email Member
Date:   7/14/2009 9:30:54 AM

I recently bought a pontoon boat with right hand steering, but the cables were hooked up backwards, so right turn = left turn. That was a challenge!

Date:   7/14/2009 9:32:30 AM

ha ha.

Date:   7/14/2009 11:52:04 AM

I do remember. But I had to look up your alias to see your real name. You aren't the only one that has asked. I enjoy doing it and now can't imagine doing anything else.

The Lake Martin site is still the majority of the income on the Lakes Online network, but the traffic of the other lake sites (cumulative) is far greater (now to a factor of 11). It's a matter of getting the word out. However, the marketing problem now is that so many people have been saturated with telemarketers and soliciters for everything from Yellow Pages, Local.com, etc., It's difficult to get people to listen to you on these other lakes when they've never heard of you.

I hear about the prices that YellowPages.com charges and it's astronomical. Lake sites are a niche, and maybe only 20% of the total population even care. The ones that do care are passionate about their lake. For the prices I charge I would be in the red if I hired the programming and design work instead of doing most of it myself. I don't want to be a site of a few high paying advertisers. I want to help as many people as possible, and figuring out how to do that is the challenge.

Name:   ot - Email Member
Date:   7/14/2009 2:48:03 PM

if i had a "like" button i would have marked your post as "ot likes this" =)

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Date:   7/14/2009 4:14:30 PM

Some neighbors at the lake have just started advertising with lakemartin.com for a rental, and have had more luck just for July than they have for the prior 18 months. It looks like with your help they can call it investment property again.

Name:   Jim Dandy - Email Member
Date:   7/14/2009 4:28:50 PM

Easy now. And take care of Lucy.

Name:   Maverick - Email Member
Subject:   OT / Webmaster
Date:   7/15/2009 12:25:02 AM

Your just a big suck up - LOL.

Hope you and your are doing well.

Think Bruce needs a great big logo on the back of his Sea Ray that says LAKEMARTIN.COM so we can all pull him over and give him a beer and by the time he gets to OT's house from Parker Creek he will be drunker than Cooter Brown - LOL.

Date:   7/15/2009 12:50:18 PM

Well the sticker part is handled... However it's not that big because my boat is not big.

So I'll be expecting beer handouts on my next outing!

If anyone is interested in free LAKEMARTIN.COM stickers for their boat, I'll get one made for you. Custom size and color to your preference. However, I can't promise it will make your boat go faster like the Cathouse stickers alegedly do.

Bruce

URL: LAKEMARTIN.COM Sticker

Name:   ot - Email Member
Date:   7/15/2009 2:26:09 PM

you should have seen Bruce's boat on the 4th! there was no shortage of bumperage or beer!!!!! i must say the webmaster was definitely the sober driver!!!! =0

Name:   Summer Lover - Email Member
Date:   7/15/2009 3:47:53 PM

I see serious benefits to both keeping the skipper sober and the bumpers propery lubricated.

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town