Updated 3/20/2024 11:53:43 PM
Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   water_watcher - Email Member
Subject:   Buffet in NY Times
Date:   8/19/2009 7:43:57 PM

Looks like Warren does not agree that the Obama direction will lead to good things. Read the last sentence. Archie if you want to revise your projections you can.

In The Greenback Effect, Buffett details his ongoing warning that the "enormous dosages of monetary medicine" being used to rescue the U.S. economy will eventually produce a dangerous "side effect."

He worries there won't be enough borrowers ready and able to absorb the nation's growing debt relative to its economic output over the years, forcing Washington's "printing presses" to work overtime churning out paper money.

All those "greenback emissions" will, he fears, feed potentially "banana-republic" style rates of inflation.

"With government expenditures now running 185 percent of receipts, truly major changes in both taxes and outlays will be required. A revived economy can't come close to bridging that sort of gap.

Buffett recognizes that's a very difficult position for politicians who depend on voters for their jobs.

Since they will "correctly perceive" that raising taxes or cutting spending will hurt their re-election chances, legislators may instead "opt for high rates of inflation, which never require a recorded vote and cannot be attributed to a specific action that any elected official takes."

Buffett, however, believes the "invisible" and "latent" threat of inflation could be "as ominous as that posed by the financial crisis itself."

Name:   JustAGuy - Email Member
Date:   8/19/2009 8:29:49 PM

Once again WW ... you cherry-pick the part of the article that matches your beliefs ... and leave out the parts you disagree with ... such as

"To be sure, we’ve been doing this for a reason I resoundingly applaud. Last fall, our financial system stood on the brink of a collapse that threatened a depression. The crisis required our government to display wisdom, courage and decisiveness. Fortunately, the Federal Reserve and key economic officials in both the Bush and Obama administrations responded more than ably to the need.

They made mistakes, of course. How could it have been otherwise when supposedly indestructible pillars of our economic structure were tumbling all around them? A meltdown, though, was avoided, with a gusher of federal money playing an essential role in the rescue.

The United States economy is now out of the emergency room and appears to be on a slow path to recovery. But enormous dosages of monetary medicine continue to be administered and, before long, we will need to deal with their side effects. For now, most of those effects are invisible and could indeed remain latent for a long time. Still, their threat may be as ominous as that posed by the financial crisis itself."

So what Buffet is really saying is ... the Bush and Obama administrations had to do what they did (which you disagree with), but now the Obama administration and Congress needs to understand that they have to be careful not to have the medicine end up being worse than the original illness.

Great article, if you read the whole thing.

URL: Warren Buffet - NYT

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   WW is fishing
Date:   8/19/2009 9:15:56 PM

Just A Guy, why do you continually attack Waterman's bad judgement of only includng that part of an article that bolsters his position. He goes on these fishing expeditions and thinks he is the only one that reads articles online.
He needs to spend more time preparing his position and less time worrying about the next restaurant at the lake to visit. I noticed he is at the lake this week and he should have the time to sit on his dock with his laptop and a coffee preparing a post that is on point. He is spending too much time listenting to Hip Hop music.

Date:   8/19/2009 10:19:13 PM

Did he or did he not say the things I posted? It does not matter what else he said if he had the warnings and that what has been done will be worse than what was trying to be fixed.

Point was we should expect high inflation as I, MM and many others have been sating.

You can pick the fly $hit out of the pepper to try and spin it different ... but the facts are he feels too much money is being printed and it will lead us to high inflation or high taxes.

Yes or no?????

Subject:   Fishy
Date:   8/19/2009 10:21:14 PM

You have lost all credibility .... don't thing you opinion matters ... not that it ever did. Offer still stands big boy.

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Date:   8/19/2009 10:24:10 PM

Too hard a question for GF. It will take him a while to figure out how to change the subject and avoid the obvious.

BTW, did he ever take you up on the $1,000 challenge?

Date:   8/19/2009 10:24:28 PM

You are showing your envy again ... you have a real problem. I have known that for a while ... but you just keep showing every one else what a spinless liar you are. You must be such a loser ... I feel so sorry for you.

Date:   8/19/2009 10:29:46 PM

No ... he starts with more meaningless attacks ... but the offer stands and would love to come to his house to give it to him and be proven wrong. But we know he is the liar. He claims to have 4 grandchildren that he "sadly" has to spend time with. When my son has a child I can not wait to spend time and spoil them.

Just got back from dinner and I am a bit tipsy, so I have to watch what i say.

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Subject:   I Apologize Waterman
Date:   8/19/2009 10:56:21 PM

Dear Waterman:

Please accept my humble apologies as it is self evident that I am causing you to drink in excess. To have to leave the Forum so you can come drink and come back "tipsy" indicates the pressure of the Forum is overwhelming you. I promise that I will allow you to regain your senses over the next 10 days. May be you need to take a break from the Forum and seek other outlets for your frustrations. Please do not stress yourself as you enjoy you week at the lake.

I consider you a lake neighbor and will pray for you.

My best wishes,

GF

Name:   JustAGuy - Email Member
Date:   8/19/2009 11:50:28 PM

WW ... if you choose to engage in fights/arguments with folks here ... that is your choice ... but this is at least the second post you have made accusing others of being "spinless" ... I think you mean "spineless" ... once again, please have your secretary spell-check your posts ....

Date:   8/20/2009 7:37:07 AM

I will respond to attacks, read who AGAIN started it - Fishy

On the spell check ... if you understand the meaning, what is your problem. What are you a school teacher? Personally I do not care that I miss type. Sorry if you do. I see it all the time from many individuals, but I am never so petty to tell someone everytime I see it. What a waste of a post.

Subject:   I Apologize Waterman
Date:   8/20/2009 7:46:04 AM

I appreciate your prayers ... but I do not worship your messiah ...

I am up early everyday and "work" hard ... I don't need the government like you to take care of me or look for more handouts. I enjoy lifes simple pleasures and that does include dinning out with my wife and enjoying a cocktail and a bottle of wine.

It is more than obvious that you are such a loser through your constant demonstrated envy of others. Life must be so misserable if you have have to express spending time with your grandchildren as "sadly". You have stalker tendencies and are an outright scary individual.

Date:   8/20/2009 8:03:02 AM

Have you ever had to be deposed?

If you have, or even understand it ... when the argument is submitted to the judge, you do not supply "every" word said ... you take the pieces that are most relavant and address the issue. You quote the person accurately ... as I did with Buffet. The meaning and intent of what he said does not change.

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Subject:   What does this mean?
Date:   8/20/2009 8:14:40 AM

"He is spending too much time listenting to Hip Hop music."

First you accuse WW of being a Nigerian, now this reference to hip hop music.
Do you intend this to be some subtle racism? If it is, I suggest you stop it NOW. Because I will personally go to Bruce. Politics is one thing, racism is another.

Subject:   What does this mean?
Date:   8/20/2009 10:13:55 AM

Thank you Hound.

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site