Lakes Online Forum
98 messages
Updated 4/15/2024 1:00:58 AM
Nags Head Photo Gallery

Name:   MrHodja - Email Member
Subject:   Frommer
Date:   8/22/2009 9:07:51 AM

From (yes) Fox News:

"Travel icon Arthur Frommer says he won't be spending his tourism dollars at the Grand Canyon, or anywhere else in Arizona, because the state's laws allow people he described as "thugs" and "extremists" to openly carry firearms."

That is interesting. I just Googled crime rates for three different states and DC.

Here are the numbers of violent crimes per 100,000 residents for 2007:

Arizona: 482
California: 522
Illinois: 533
DC: 1,414

So I wonder why Mr. Frommer isn't recommending people stay away from DC, Illinois, and California? Maybe his motivation is purely political rather than out of concern for the safety of his fellow travelers?

And I wonder what made him think those folks were thugs and/or extremists? Maybe they felt a need to make a statement about their second amendment rights (although I have said in another post that they didn't exhibit good judgment in doing so - but having poor judgment doesn't make a person a thug or extremist)

Just curious.

Nasreddin Hodja

Name:   water_watcher - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 9:38:44 AM

The facts don't support the liberals view that areas that allow carrying firearms makes it more dangerous ... time and time again the opposite is true.

Name:   GoneFishin - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 9:54:19 AM

He must be another of those floundering bias members of the liberal left who expects the Government to pay for a free vacation for all who are on welfare.

The numbers you posted are interesting and numbers don't lie.

Having the right to carry a loaded gun and carrying it to a rally is someone different to me. Imagine if that right existed during the Selma to Montgomery march? Or, during the face off in Atlanta when Lester Maddox handled out axe handles to his supporters to prevent blacks from entering his restaurant? Keeping in mind that both sides can carry and use firearms.

Date:   8/22/2009 10:15:50 AM

Some know how to carry them and not use in a threatening way ... others do not. You think about your example and decide which is the case.

Name:   MartiniMan - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 11:04:47 AM

Frommer is just another liberal, so what? I think the people in Arizona would say they could care less if he comes to their state.

As for all the hypothetical's that you keep coming up with, let us hypothesize in the opposite direction. What if someone at Columbine was carrying a concealed weapon and when the two deviants pulled out their weapons the guy pulls his and drops them before they wreak their carnage. Dozens of kids saved. How about a student keeps a legal semi-automatic weapon in their trunk at UVA when the nutjob goes on his spree. The gal opens her trunk and blasts him before he can kill anyone else. Dozens of innocent college students saved. You see GF, for every one of your hypothetical situations about guns that did not happen I will provide opposing hypothetical in support of having a gun handy. You can see how useless the entire exercise is.

The statistics do not lie about guns. Those cities with the most restrictive gun laws are inevitably the most dangerous and have the most violent crime. Those cities with concealed carry laws and cities like Kennesaw that require gun ownership are the safest. I am sure that is just a coincidence although my supposition is that criminals are not stupid and will prey on people that can't defend themselves and stay away from the guy packing heat.

There is a very good book by a University of Michigan professor named John Lott called More Guns, Less Crime. I recommend it to you as it should alleviate your anxiety about those who legally own guns.

Name:   Yankee06 - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 11:31:29 AM

-Hodja's post addresses two issues: guns amd boycotts. For some reason, we all focused on guns. Which is always an interesting subject...

-....but for a little change, let's focus on boycotts, and the threat of boycotts. From my experience, boycotts make a lot of news but impact is usually short-term from the general public's actions. Me? --I tend to carry a grudge, so my boycotts are long-tem, ..some I've had for a lifetime.

-From my perspective, the ones that make most of the news broadcasts seem to be the left-inspired ones like Frommer's. Why is that? Jesse Jackson, based on what I've read, has apparently raised it to a high art, --some would call it extortion.

-the right has tried to use it mostly against vulgarity and sex on TV , the movies, etc. All to little success.

-But an interesting change occured last week. Usually, it's what I call some "people's protection society" putting pressure on corporate america. However, last week, it was corporate america trying to apply pressure when about 20 major corporations boycotted Beck's show.

-Maybe America has always been this-group-against-that-group. I guess you can read history that way, and even teach history that way, ...but that's not the way I learnt it, so that's not how I think about America. But for some reason , what I tend to call "tribalism" or "Balkanization" seems to be more the norm over the last few decades. Everybody seems to have a special interest group protection society, ...but worse, that's now how its citizens think of America. We're no longer a melting pot; at best, we're a tossed salad. At worst, we're becoming seperate dinning rooms. ...I had such hopes that the results of the last election would begin to change that.
-I guess this post is going nowhere,, so I'll stop. I just think it's sad for the America I grew up in, and am now growing old in.

Subject:   By The Way
Date:   8/22/2009 11:44:08 AM

Alabama - home of the "militias" and other "right wing extremist" organizations: 448, lower than all the other four.

And by the way, these are statistics for violent crimes only - guns aren't used in nonviolent crimes....

Source: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

Name:   architect - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 11:52:03 AM

Yeah, those gun toten bstions of conservativism: Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire come in dead last (49,50,51 respectively) in the number of violent crimes per 100,000.

Name:   rude evin - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 12:10:47 PM

Wow.........now that brings up an entirely new set of questions to the inquiring mind,,,,,,,,,

Subject:   Lets Not Diverge
Date:   8/22/2009 1:57:03 PM

The question originally posed had to do with states with laws that allow open carry of firearms, Arizona being one.

California nd DC (at least in 2007, when the stat was taken) had a higher incidence of violent crime than Arizona OR Alabama.

Frommer chose to make a big splash about Arizona just because a few knuckleheads picked the wrong time to make a statement about their constitutional right to bear arms. As usual, closer examination of the facts show that his splash is misguided, or at the least unfair to Arizona.

That the three states you mention have low crime rates doesn't surprise me. Nor does it surprise me that North and South Dakota, Wyoming, and to a lesser extent Nebraska, have much lower crime rates than DC or California or Illinois. Probably attributed more to a no-nonsense approach to life in general and the lack of large urban areas (for instance of the four in the midwest, Nebraska, with Omaha being a fairly large town, is the highest.)

In any case, the gun laws don't appear to have any bearing on the amount of violent crime - in fact, as another poster said, if a criminal (who WILL get access to a gun, laws or not) isn't sure whether his next intended victim is going to shoot back, he may well be less likely to attack that person.

Even if we as a nation were to decide to ban personally owned firearms, the very people who we need to be disarmed won't be and the rest of us would be left defenseless. That Genie is out of the bottle, and like it or not he isn't going back in.

Name:   rude evin - Email Member
Subject:   Lets Not Diverge
Date:   8/22/2009 2:40:04 PM

I agree with your last sentence, and have seen it up close on a personal level.......lived in a small country for about 6 years that banned personal firearms (for a long time).......and the occasional homocide took place with a knife, machette, lead pipe etc........but the murder rate was astounding with the use of illegal hand guns. Just noticed in a report the other day from their capital city it has gotten worse.......a fierce looking and acting dog was our best defense.......

Name:   alahusker - Email Member
Subject:   Common sense check herel?
Date:   8/22/2009 2:50:56 PM

I have a concealed weapons permit, and carry in my truck.. Have weapons at home, available (unless kids are visiting) and ready to go. However, comma, would I carry an AR-15/Daisey BB gun over my shoulder, or a 45 in my belt walking down the street (which would look really stupid), Not! Would I carry a concealed weapon to a Presidential rally or ATL airport? Not! These dudes with the 'open carry' demonstration were either nutso, or, possibly, anti-gun zealots trying to give us 'gun toting' conservatives a black eye.. How's that for a conspiracy theory??

Subject:   Common sense check herel?
Date:   8/22/2009 3:08:57 PM

Quite a plausible theory.....

Name:   Talullahhound - Email Member
Subject:   Umm.
Date:   8/22/2009 4:50:18 PM

Who is Frommer and why do I care where he vacations? He's got more to worry about from illegals and those that carry them, than he does US citizens carrying guns in AZ.
My Sister and BIL lived in South Arizona for 10 years and hiked the canyons with a hand gun.

Subject:   BTW
Date:   8/22/2009 4:51:42 PM

I've had two local people tell me not to go to Montgomery because the crime is so bad and it's dangerous... LOL

Subject:   Umm.
Date:   8/22/2009 5:12:50 PM

Some guy that writes books on travel. I didn't google him but suspect if you entered "Frommer's" in any decent search engine you'd find out more....

If it is half as nice at the lake today as it is here in crime-ridden Montgomery, I regret not going up there this weekend.

Date:   8/22/2009 5:37:15 PM

Arthur Frommer is a US army vet who was stationed in Europe in the early 50's. He loved Europe and returned home and began encouraging Americans to travel there. He began a yearly travel guide to Europe. In the beginning (late 50's) he called the Guide "Europe on $5.00 a Day". By my first trip with my new bride in 1970 it was up to "$10.00 a Day". We weren't able to do it. We travelled 6000 miles in 58 days averaging $12/day each. That includes all expenses except for the price of the car we purchased in Atlanta and picked up in Brussels. He continues to publish travel guides for the US and entire world. Hope y'all aren't too disappointed that a veteran could be anti gun?

Subject:   It's Nice
Date:   8/22/2009 5:48:02 PM

It's quite pleasant here today. We took the boat to Harbor Docks for lunch -- water was a little choppy, but there wasn't a lot of boat traffic and all in all, it was really nice. You should have come out this weekend.

Subject:   BTW, Mr. H
Date:   8/22/2009 5:58:49 PM

Out of curiosity I just went back and took a closer look at those violent crime rates again. Where did you get your info? According to the U.S. Census* (yeah I know Gov't Agency, suspect, liberal blah blah blah) Puts AZ at 688/100,000 and ranks her a 6. Some others; IL-542/ @no 13, CA-533/ @no14, AL-474/ @no18 and GA-471/ @no19. Oh, the no. one state for violent crime, the gun loving home of Mark Sanford and Jim DeMint...South Carolina...688/100,000! Other than to disavow your original supposition hoe do you explain that?

* figures for 2006

Subject:   oops
Date:   8/22/2009 6:04:15 PM

Sorry, looked wrong at SC. Still no 1 in crime but should be 766/100,000 not 688/100,000.

Name:   Mack - Email Member
Date:   8/22/2009 7:29:34 PM

Really?? The whole city??
Birmingham is the same. We let our Bham Symphony tickets expire after many years because the walk from the Bham Jefferson Civic Center downtown to our car 4 blocks away became a safety threat. But, there are many things about Bham that we love. I suspect the same is true of Montgomery. We choose to be in the right place at the right time without threat.

Subject:   Geez, Archie!
Date:   8/22/2009 7:54:33 PM

At 11:52:03 you responded to my post where I gave you the source. And the stats were the latest available on that site -- 2007.

Subject:   Archie,do you get "TMI?"
Date:   8/22/2009 8:01:30 PM

Grand Canyon is dangerous, Montgomery is dangerous, the stats prove it due to us gun toting conservatives.. Fear not, I'm fixing to go to bed early after a hard day's work and I have to get up at 0500 (military lingo) to fish. You are safe, the fish are not..

Date:   8/22/2009 8:07:53 PM

Montgomery is like any other city. There are places where you are relatively safe, and there are places where you don't go unless you are buying drugs or have a death wish. And there are places that are a little less safe, yet can be frequented as long as one is careful and observant.

I have an African American former co-worker who tells me that Montgomery is actually much better than many Southern cities - and that is scary. He has three sons from a former marriage living in South Carolina and the peer pressure there to join a gang is incredible.

That being said, in the past nine months I have procured a modest arsenal and an adequate supply of ammunition - all of which stays locked in a gun safe except for the fun days I have at the gun club every other month or so. I do that to stay familiar with their operation and blow worthless $#it like empty plastic bottles to smithereens. But if things with the country begin to go badly and the police lose control, I intend to use those tools to defend myself and my family.

Name:   wix - Email Member
Subject:   Demographics
Date:   8/22/2009 8:38:17 PM

I find it very interesting that some try to compare the relative safety of a community or state without mentioning the direct correlation of the demographics of the area. For all you statistically oriented libs, look up the demographics of the area before quoting. As you know, there are certain groups of folks that commit the vast majority of the crimes. If they don't live there (Vermont, NH, and Maine) there won't be as many crims. It's a sad fact, but it's a fact; and most of them are democrats.

Hound, if you spent your life working in the DC area, you'll feel perfectly at home in Montgomery, B'ham, or ATL. I feel much safer in these towns than I ever felt in DC.

Subject:   Really
Date:   8/22/2009 8:47:17 PM

I just kinda smiled when I was told that. I go to Montgomery at least once a week. I'm sure there are bad areas in the city, like any other city, but I don't feel threatened where I go -- to Petco, to Costco and to various shops in East Chase and on Zelda road. I've even ventured into Old Cloverdale to a bookstore.
I'm used to go into Washington DC regularly, but I wouldn't go into SouthEast (other down to the wharf fish market), which is really the 'hood.

Subject:   Mullah Hodja
Date:   8/22/2009 8:53:06 PM

Agree with you most of the time, but if someone's breaking my door down at 2 AM, ain't going to unlock the safe..

Subject:   Demographics
Date:   8/22/2009 8:55:15 PM

You are right. There were certain places I wouldn't go in the suburbs of DC either. But, I had no reason to go there. I don't believe in living in fear, but I don't believe in looking for trouble either.

Date:   8/22/2009 8:56:41 PM

Me neither. I suspect "Mullah Hodja" doesn't either.

Date:   8/22/2009 9:18:23 PM

I was kinda referring to the "nuclear option" arsenal components, not the day-to-day sidekick, the little Austrian device with the plastic handle......

BTW, gonna go shooting with my older son tomorrow afternoon. Always throw at least a hundred bucks worth of lead downrange, but its worth it, especially on the steel targets -- immediate feedback on your accuracy. Had to join NRA to join the gun club, but was kinda thinking about it anyway.

Cheers,

Nasreddin Hodja

Subject:   Really
Date:   8/22/2009 9:25:41 PM

Parts of Southeast (at least on the Capitol side of the Anacostia) are changing significantly. It used to be that you called someone to pick you up at the Navy Yard Metro Station to go to the Navy Yard itself. Now all the seedy convenience and liquor stores have been demolished and many parking lots built to handle the cars for the businesses at 80 M, 300 M, and 1175 Ney Jersey Avenue as well as the Navy Yard, and to have parking for the Nationals baseball stadium. The public housing between M Street and 395 is gone as well.

It is quite a bustling area now and the riff-raff are nowhere to be seen.

The logical question is ok, where did all the people go that lived there. I'm told it is Prince Georges County and the problems the were having in that area of Southeast have moved out to PG County along with the people.

Subject:   Hound
Date:   8/22/2009 9:32:09 PM

Ever go to Francesca's on Zelda? My daughter works there - although she won't be there much this semester -- taking a full load at AUM in anticipation of practice teaching in the Spring and GRADUATING in May.

I'll email her name so if you do go in you can swap lies about me...:>)

Subject:   Geez, Archie!
Date:   8/23/2009 7:24:59 AM

He just hates accepting the truth. About everything.

Subject:   Geez, WW
Date:   8/23/2009 10:10:19 AM

I just supplied the truth according to the US Census in my posts above. Do you dispute their statistics?

Quick Links
Nags Head News
Nags Head Photos
Nags Head Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us

NagsHead.USCoast.info
THE NAGS HEAD WEBSITE

Copyright 2024, Coastal Town